LR308 build planning

I had that same lower and ran into the same issues with the shelf and magazine button. They are almost non issues with your machining skills.

Well, there's only so much you can do with what your are given. After removing the shelf, I didn't like the look of the contours of the ring. Looked kinda clunky. I added another facet to the buffer tube ring. Looks a little better but still kinda meh. Maybe try something different on the second one.

20231120_041130.jpg

Regroup and Rethink.... I didn't care much for the contours of the first lower. So, brought the replacement lower out to try something different. Most of the milling is the same (mag release button area, remove the shelf, and remove the sharp leading edge of the mag well flare.) But at the back, I stopped the removal of the shelf earlier and switched over to using a cove cutter to scallop the buffer tube ring. Looks better and follows the contours of the Bear Creek upper a bit closer.

20231120_183508.jpg

Jigged up and holes drilled. Now two are read to have the fire control pocket milled.

I would start with an 18-20" 1:10 twist barrel and build around that. Anything with a purpose starts with the barrel.

Springfield has been making hay about their new lightweight 308 AR. My DPMS Panther is definitely heavy. I'd consider putting a carbon fiber barrel on mine but I don't know how they are made. Or so I've been told. :sneaky:

Other than milling the pocket, I haven't attempted anything quite as ambitious as what you are doing on this project. I have a small Grizzly vertical mill. It's nothing fancy, yet still far more capable than I am as a machinist. It's a cool idea to try and match the appearance your lower to the upper.

I have also noticed the awkwardness of the mag release button on mine. I only use my AR10 for shooting hogs at night. Fumbling to drop the mag fast hasn't been a huge problem, except once with a gloved hand. I thought about finding an extended button but I like your plan better.

Another morning session in front of the milling machine. I have more time before work this morning, so I may get a little further along. Just finished the second layer of the fire-control pocket, down the the 0.630" deep (which corresponds to the shelf under the rear upper receiver lug.) Starting to poke through the bore of the safety selector.

More coffeeeeeeeeee!

20231122_074517.jpg

I've got 80% AR's down to an hour or 2. Your safety detent issue would have added another hour or 2 but now you have an excuse to build a second one. I think there's a 44 or 45 cal based on the 308 that would be awesome fun to mag dump.

Last edited:
At the 1.00" depth. Time to switch mills to a 5/16" and open up the trigger slot. I used to wait until the entire pocket was at 1.249" deep, but by open it up early, I can visually check that the bottom of the fire-control pocket is forming right. After having a 3/8" mill pull out of the collet and ruin a lower, I want to see the thickness of the floor. So, now I do it earlier in the process.

20231122_092030.jpg

Time to switch back to a 3/8" mill and finish the floor before widening the pocket for the hammer and trigger.

Last edited:
Coffee brewing, time for another session at the mill.

The center of the pocket is down to the floor at 1.249" deep. Now to widen the pocket to .690" to accept the width of the hammer and trigger.

20231123_063619.jpg

Since you probably don't need to go to work you should have both of those knocked out before lunch.

Milling of the pocket complete... time to take it out of the jig, cleanup the sharp corners, and start checking fit of the parts

20231123_100910.jpg

Initial assembly complete. No particular problems of note.

20231123_151205.jpg

20231123_151230.jpg

It does need the LR308 buffer and spring, which should get here in a few days. I'll strip it down again and start the etching process while I'm waiting.

Meanwhile.... it's getting closer to dinner time. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day y'all.

Thanksgiving_Flag.jpeg

Maybe you can build the second one for this??? 45 Raptor all you'll need is a barrel to swap onto a 308 action.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123-161005.png
    Screenshot_20231123-161005.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Watching paint dry....

Did the etching this morning, put a coat of paint on when I got home from work. Now the clear coat is one and I have to wait until morning for final assembly. Buffer and spring showed up, so everything is here to finish putting it together.

20231124_221356.jpg

All assembled. Just need to come up with some sights for it. Rifle Deer season opened this morning, so next opportunity to test fire it will be next Sunday.

20231125_070921.jpg

I just had to setup a user account specifically to say THANK YOU!! I also spent thanksgiving milling a blank from the same vendor only to find I had to have screwed up somehow after years of building AR15s and 4 other brand LR308s I managed to mis read my DRO or something and got the selector hole off center!! then I saw your post and AFTER I already ordered another blank ($86 shipped!) to replace the one I messed up.... exact same issue they drilled the detent hole exactly 1/8" off!! so sent an e-mail for them to cancel the replacement that they already billed me for and to start figuring out what they are going to do to fix this with my first one..... thought I was losing my mind to drill that selector hole so far off center....

ETA; BTW found this pic on their site for "hard blems" now how in the H#@$ll do ya mis-engrave the safty markings on the magazine well??!! and color fill it?? clearly these blanks only see human hands when its time to place in a shipping box there is no way a human made that mistake.... I think its pretty clear they are not actually doing any drilling of detent holes clearly they are purchasing bulk pre engraved blanks from a mass producer and just shipping them....

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_092353479_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231125_092353479_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20231125_161329.jpg
    IMG_20231125_161329.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I just had to setup a user account specifically to say THANK YOU!! I also spent thanksgiving milling a blank from the same vendor only to find I had to have screwed up somehow after years of building AR15s and 4 other brand LR308s I managed to mis read my DRO or something and got the selector hole off center!! then I saw your post and AFTER I already ordered another blank ($86 shipped!) to replace the one I messed up.... exact same issue they drilled the detent hole exactly 1/8" off!! so sent an e-mail for them to cancel the replacement that they already billed me for and to start figuring out what they are going to do to fix this with my first one..... thought I was losing my mind to drill that selector hole so far off center....

ETA; BTW found this pic on their site for "hard blems" now how in the H#@$ll do ya mis-engrave the safty markings on the magazine well??!! and color fill it?? clearly these blanks only see human hands when its time to place in a shipping box there is no way a human made that mistake.... I think its pretty clear they are not actually doing any drilling of detent holes clearly they are purchasing bulk pre engraved blanks from a mass producer and just shipping them....
Welcome to the forum, AZ-2A! šŸ»

Last edited:

Glad you found the help you needed here!

Thanks for joining the forum and participating by posting! When you get a chance, please write up a quick ā€œintroductionā€ (or RE-introduction if you were a former MGB forum member) of yourself over in the Introduce Yourself! section. Tell us about yourself, your building experience, and how you found the forum.

Jump into other threads, too! Come on in... the water's fine! šŸ˜Š

Welcome to the group! I hope you caught the separate thread on how to fill and drill the misplace safety selector. I figure after now three from this vendor with a misplaced hole, their whole production run is likely done wrong.

Mistakes do happen... I once got a whole bunch of BCG's with the gas key installed backward..., but when you are told about the mistake and don't do anything about it... well... not a good sign. Veteran owned or not, wrong is still wrong.

Last edited:
Back