20 slow-fired shots at 10 yards from "Goldi."

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Yesterday after a somewhat dismaying performance with the "Dicken Drill," I brought out "Goldi" to test the new Cross Armory firing pin and have some fun.

For this target, I decided to REALLY take my time. I'd fire a shot and rest (for at least a few seconds) between shots by putting the gun on the bunch and resting my arms on the bench. Then fire another. Rinse and repeat. Normally, I fire the entire mag without resting my arms.

I fired my first shot and it was dead center. Ooh! Take a picture!

Fired the 2nd shot... right next to the first one! Ooh! Take a picture!

Fired the 3rd shot... a little low-right, but still good! Take a picture!

Then I fired the next 17 (with rests between shots) for a total of 20.

I thought it was kinda neat. Enlarged the targets for each photo with photoshop and put it together in a collage.
20-shots-with-Goldi-P80-G19.jpg

The round count for "Goldi" is now 245 without any malfunctions.

Last edited:
Am I correct in guessing that the shots in the black were fired later in the string?

Am I correct in guessing that the shots in the black were fired later in the string?

Yep... I have a tendency to get flinchy. Still working on that! :)

It appears that your pistol is quite capable of keeping the shots in the 10 ring.
Are you sure the flyers are due to flinching, or maybe eye fatigue?
Do you have difficulty focusing on the front sight later in the string?

Are you sure the flyers are due to flinching, or maybe eye fatigue?
Do you have difficulty focusing on the front sight later in the string?

I'm pretty sure it's flinching. I use "top focal" shooting glasses (with the "bifocal" at the TOP of the lens). They're fantastic. So the front sight is in perfect focus.

Try the dummy and ball drill. See if that doesn't help. ;)

Try the dummy and ball drill. See if that doesn't help. ;)

I'm familiar. Funny... I'll even flinch dry firing sometimes! I typically do some dry firing at the range before shooting and periodically throughout my range session. Sometimes I flinch. Sometimes I don't.

Funny thing... I don't flinch at all when being pelted by brass from the next lane... or when my own hot brass lands on me.

Then pretend there is a $5 bet riding on each shot. After a few practice sessions, put it into real practice with one of your shooting buds.
Competition is a powerful motivator. šŸ˜Æ

Back