Tip! Alternate Tab Removal Method

You guys really need a challenge!!!
How bout making a rear sight with files and calipers for a Browning Hi Power (left) back before there were aftermarket sights available? :unsure:

kqzDuDh.jpg

A few years ago WBZ had a build contest. This was my entry. I was way out of my league there. Basically Weapons Guild exiles.

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0144.jpg
    872.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0139-1.jpg
    IMAG0139-1.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 20
Nothing wrong with a challenge.. just trying to cross the T's and dot the I's.
I suppose I have never really respected plastic. It's freaking plastic. It's probably why I like it so much for my guns because I don't care if they get beat up. All of my nice wood and steel guns get babied because they're too beautiful to take out and drag through the woods. Even the utility grade ones need attention. Fresh linseed oil every decade or so, making sure oil isn't saturating the wood, making sure the metal under the wood isn't rusting etc. I hate cleaning anything. Most of my modern guns get cleaned every few thousand rounds unless they get crapped up from filthy powder like Longshot or lead coiling out of the barrel.

Welp.. after using the 5/32 bradpoint drill bit to drill out the trigger pin hole I noticed that the trigger pin slides right on thru like a hot knife thru butter which I'm assuming shouldn't happen.. so I guess I'll be ordering a new frame and starting over. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Side note: I used a dremel press for the trigger pin whole, which isn't very sturdy btw and a hand drill for the rear pin hole..

Attachments

• 20231126_171243.jpg
    20231126_171243.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20231126_171516.jpg
    20231126_171516.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
Welp.. after using the 5/32 bradpoint drill bit to drill out the trigger pin hole I noticed that the trigger pin slides right on thru like a hot knife thru butter which I'm assuming shouldn't happen.. so I guess I'll be ordering a new frame and starting over. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Side note: I used a dremel press for the trigger pin whole, which isn't very sturdy btw and a hand drill for the rear pin hole..
Naaaa... frame is salveable! Just ask @Michele! She's the master of fixes!

I wonder if the bit wasn't seated and running true before you drilled. I often have to re-seat the bit to get it to run true. I always turn it on and watch the bit to see if there's any "run-out" before I drill. If I do, I loosen the collet and re-seat the bit and re-tighten and check again.

Probably should have just used the bits that came with it. Fill them with JB weld and use a cordless drill with the supplied bits like you were supposed to instead of getting all fancy. Besides when it's all assembled there should be enough pressure to retain it as is.

Last edited:
Probably should have just used the bits that came with it. Fill them with JB weld and use a cordless drill with the supplied bits like you were supposed to instead of getting all fancy. Besides when it's all assembled there should be enough pressure to retain it as is.
I agree, a 5/32 is suppose to be a bit smaller than the one they send you.. it kinda seems that the bradpoint which is on the right is a bigger than the one in the box.. guess that's the way the ball bounces haha. I already ordered a new frame but I'll JB weld this one at some point and keep it as a special ed project

Attachments

• 20231126_174542.jpg
    20231126_174542.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
Naaaa... frame is salveable! Just ask @Michele! She's the master of fixes!

I wonder if the bit wasn't seated and running true before you drilled. I often have to re-seat the bit to get it to run true. I always turn it on and watch the bit to see if there's any "run-out" before I drill. If I do, I loosen the collet and re-seat the bit and re-tighten and check again.
I ran it a couple times to make sure it was seated. I will say the base to the dremel press isn't the best and it was a little wobbley so I had to hold it to keep it steady so maybe it that affected the out come.. I used a cordless drill for the rear and that seemed alot easier.

I agree, a 5/32 is suppose to be a bit smaller than the one they send you.. it kinda seems that the bradpoint which is on the right is a bigger than the one in the box.. guess that's the way the ball bounces haha. I already ordered a new frame but I'll JB weld this one at some point and keep it as a special ed project
5/32 is 3.97-mm. So it's slightly smaller than the 4-mm bit. In my experience it makes for a pin fit that is a bit tighter.

But if the bit is not running true / concentric... it will "wobble" and make a wider hole.

I ran it a couple times to make sure it was seated. I will say the base to the dremel press isn't the best and it was a little wobbley so I had to hold it to keep it steady so maybe it that affected the out come.. I used a cordless drill for the rear and that seemed alot easier.
The way it was intended to be done. The few thousandths of offset between the holes helps retain the pin.

I will say the base to the dremel press isn't the best and it was a little wobbley so I had to hold it to keep it steady so maybe it that affected the out come..

Yeah.. it shouldn't be wobbly. And you shouldn't have to hold it to steady it. But, that might explain the loose pin holes.

The Dremel Workstations are known to have loose screws. Go over the whole thing and tighten all the screws. Then take a peek at a video I made.

Yeah.. it shouldn't be wobbly. And you shouldn't have to hold it to steady it. But, that might explain the loose pin holes.

The Dremel Workstations are known to have loose screws. Go over the whole thing and tighten all the screws. Then take a peek at a video I made.
Well after accessing the jig again and comparing the two holes I'm gonna say it's safe to assume that the dremel press had some wobble in it as it seems to have drilled off center 🤦🏻‍♂️. While the rear is straight thru with a cordless hand drill...

Attachments

• 20231126_180144.jpg
    20231126_180144.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 19
Well after accessing the jig again and comparing the two holes I'm gonna say it's safe to assume that the dremel press had some wobble in it as it seems to have drilled off center 🤦🏻‍♂️. While the rear is straight thru with a cordless hand drill...
Yeah.... looks like it went off-track there:
1701047801804.png

Repairing pin holes with JB is not something I’d recommend , it will eventually fall out due to lack of surface area and not enough anchor tooth. JB weld is ok for large repairs with little to no stress. It’s great for customizing black frames.

My top recommendation is using superglue and baking soda for pin holes. There is a chemical reaction that melts the material to the polymer. . Color baking soda same color as frame. Can use most any paint as colorant. I use spray paint or acrylics. BTW, I repaired a frame cut in 1/2 using super glue & B.soda it works just fine.
It’s nearly as good as filling the holes with melted channel/tab parts which is my 2nd recommendation

Here’s the resource center how to do repairs on p80 frames

Repairing pin holes with JB is not something I’d recommend , it will eventually fall out due to lack of surface area and not enough anchor tooth. JB weld is ok for large repairs with little to no stress. It’s great for customizing black frames.

My top recommendation is using superglue and baking soda for pin holes. There is a chemical reaction that melts the material to the polymer. . Color baking soda same color as frame. Can use most any paint as colorant. I use spray paint or acrylics. BTW, I repaired a frame cut in 1/2 using super glue & B.soda it works just fine.
It’s nearly as good as filling the holes with melted channel/tab parts which is my 2nd recommendation

Here’s the resource center how to do repairs on p80 frames
Super simple fix.. I ordered a new frame but will def try this out! Would grounding up some of the polymer tabs and throwing them in too be a good idea too I'm assuming??

Yeah you might want to get a handle on working with plastic before tackling the metal and wood of a muzzle loader kit.

Super simple fix.. I ordered a new frame but will def try this out! Would grounding up some of the polymer tabs and throwing them in too be a good idea too I'm assuming??
U mean toss some tab dust into the super glue concoction? Don’t know but you could do a test and see what happens. Don’t see why it would not work, dust should melt soon as the super glue touches the baking soda…the chem action takes a 1/2 second and it’s hard as a rock. Can drill immediately

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImLAmfM_AgA

Last edited:
Back