Anybody have a source for 80% AR15 aluminum lowers with Safe/Fire markings at reasonable price?

Firearms101

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I’ve stocked up on 80% anodized aluminum lowers, but all of them in my current stash are the Anderson version with no Safe/Fire markings. Theses seem to run from $45 to $60. I thought US Patriot had some with the Safe/Fire markings (photo on-line showed such) for $55 so ordered several, and they turned out to be the same Anderson lowers with no marking. They were good about returning them, but I’m back to searching the internet without much luck. The only reliable source I’ve come across so far is 80% Arms, and they sell theirs for $99. I bit steep for me to stock up for a rainy day.

Anybody finding any 80% anodized aluminum AR15 lowers with the Safe/Fire markings at a reasonable price? Thanks

80%'s NICER sister-company. Or, if you are good with in-the-raw, save $10:
Still not 'cheap', but a LOT of vendors may not re-stock due to the upcoming 'ruling'. I wouldn't bank on any kind of a 'fire sale' to offer mega discounts at the last minute.

80%'s NICER sister-company. Or, if you are good with in-the-raw, save $10:
Still not 'cheap', but a LOT of vendors may not re-stock due to the upcoming 'ruling'. I wouldn't bank on any kind of a 'fire sale' to offer mega discounts at the last minute.

Promo email received today.
Fathers Days

Thanks, all. Couple good options. Might order from both just to compare.

Thanks, all. Couple good options. Might order from both just to compare.
@Firearms101

Me and my buddy have spread ourselves among vendors here to assure that we get some decent ones out of the bunch.

I have ordered from Tomkat Armory. Be aware that the tolerances are tight on the take down and pivot pin holes. So, if you have an upper that is a tad wonky, you will need to deal with that and make the holes work out. Ships fast, next day or second day, although they say they're swamped right now. Free shipping over $99, so maybe order at least two.

80% Lowers

Interestingly, some of the best lowers I have gotten both finish wise and for features were blems from Right To Bear. And, I couldn't find the blems! There were a lot of comments on their website stating the same experience about the "blem" and they could find no faults. Your mileage may vary. The blems I got had the screw hole in the bottom of the grip area that goes upward for tightening and adjusting the upper. Tomkat Armory 80% lowers don't have this feature.

EDIT: Wait until the holidays to order. RTB almost always has a discount around key holidays.

All uppers at RTB:
AR-15 80% Lower Receiver Parts, Sets & Tools

I believe this is the one I ordered, but I would have to go look at receipts to make certain:
Blem Anodized 80% Lower - Optional Engravings ^

There is also Durkin. They almost always have lowers at low price point. One of the Durkin lowers has a neat feature with the take down spring and detent being retained by the grip.

EDIT: Get on their mail list. They always have weekly discount codes, typically 10-15%.
Category: 80% Lower Receivers

Take down hole in grip:
AR-15 Lower Receiver 80% Black Anodized Billet

@Miltonboro has milled one or two Durkins if I recall, and can maybe weigh in better than I how that worked out. Mine are still virgins.

Last edited:
@Miltonboro has milled one or two Durkins if I recall, and can maybe weigh in better than I how that worked out. Mine are still virgins.

All smooth sailing with the 5D jig so far. I need to get back to it. But since I do mine outside I like the fall for it, too hot now, haha, last one I cleaned snow off my bench to do it.

All smooth sailing with the 5D jig so far. I need to get back to it. But since I do mine outside I like the fall for it, too hot now, haha, last one I cleaned snow off my bench to do it.
@Miltonboro
I am looking at the Durkin lower right now and it has a tension screw hole tapped in it for tightening up the slop in the upper. It's the furthest rear hole in the grip flange (not to be confused with the adjacent take down pin hole that holds the spring and detent).

Have you used that hole with a tension screw yet? If so, do you know the thread pitch? And/or a source for a tension adjuster screw with nylon tip.
The Durkin lower is tapped smaller than the relatively standard 1/4-28 tension adjuster hole that is tapped into some lowers.
I've found plenty of those online.

@Miltonboro
I am looking at the Durkin lower right now and it has a tension screw hole tapped in it for tightening up the slop in the upper. It's the furthest rear hole in the grip flange (not to be confused with the adjacent take down pin hole that holds the spring and detent).

Have you used that hole with a tension screw yet? If so, do you know the thread pitch? And/or a source for a tension adjuster screw with nylon tip.
The Durkin lower is tapped smaller than the relatively standard 1/4-28 tension adjuster hole that is tapped into some lowers.
I've found plenty of those online.

Yeah that's strange, it's 6-32 thread, maybe people just use a 6-32 screw, you wouldn't have the nylon tip but they'd sure be cheaper, or you could get nylon 6-32 screws I suppose. If you've got a drill press it'd be fairly easy to drill it out and tap it to 1/4-28 as well. Good to have a 1/4-28 tap around anyway, I cross threaded a grip screw once and it saved me.

I've never tried a tension screw of either size in any of my builds yet, they all seem pretty tight, maybe they loosen up over time? All mine are fairly new and been fired little so I dunno.

Yeah that's strange, it's 6-32 thread, maybe people just use a 6-32 screw, you wouldn't have the nylon tip but they'd sure be cheaper, or you could get nylon 6-32 screws I suppose. If you've got a drill press it'd be fairly easy to drill it out and tap it to 1/4-28 as well. Good to have a 1/4-28 tap around anyway, I cross threaded a grip screw once and it saved me.

I've never tried a tension screw of either size in any of my builds yet, they all seem pretty tight, maybe they loosen up over time? All mine are fairly new and been fired little so I dunno.

Thanks for the thread pitch. I will probably hog it out and retap.
The standard 1/4 28 nylon tipped screws are easily found at many of the firearms suppliers online.

FYI, here is your "go to" supplier for commercial or specialty bolts and equipment. You could probably build a Dell Computer Corporation manufacturing facility using this website. (Excluding the physical concrete and steel frame of the building).

McMaster-Carr

Thanks for the thread pitch. I will probably hog it out and retap.
The standard 1/4 28 nylon tipped screws are easily found at many of the firearms suppliers online.

FYI, here is your "go to" supplier for commercial or specialty bolts and equipment. You could probably build a Dell Computer Corporation manufacturing facility using this website. (Excluding the physical concrete and steel frame of the building).

McMaster-Carr

I think I had their catalog once, back in the day of catalogs, a giant one kinda like Grainger. The "Paper Age", lol.

I think I had their catalog once, back in the day of catalogs, a giant one kinda like Grainger. The "Paper Age", lol.
I was going to mention that catalog. The Yellow Book. I had about five of them and still prefer them. You had to be a business to get one. I think they probably still have them, but it may be like pulling teeth to get it. They are much faster for looking up items in my opinion if your'e browsing for concepts and parts. I spent hours in front of that book.

I’ve stocked up on 80% anodized aluminum lowers, but all of them in my current stash are the Anderson version with no Safe/Fire markings. Theses seem to run from $45 to $60. I thought US Patriot had some with the Safe/Fire markings (photo on-line showed such) for $55 so ordered several, and they turned out to be the same Anderson lowers with no marking. They were good about returning them, but I’m back to searching the internet without much luck. The only reliable source I’ve come across so far is 80% Arms, and they sell theirs for $99. I bit steep for me to stock up for a rainy day.

Anybody finding any 80% anodized aluminum AR15 lowers with the Safe/Fire markings at a reasonable price? Thanks
I realize these are not anodized but, hey…

Their unmarked anodized ones look like a deal at $40:

I haven't heard of them, do they have a good rep for making quality stuff?
Honestly, no idea, but I would Ask this question; what’s the difference between an Ancher Harvey 7075-T6 Forged Aluminum Mil Spec receiver and any of the rest to the average user? (Can of worms opened 🙂). …. I can see no difference with my micrometer.

I haven't heard of them, do they have a good rep for making quality stuff?
I can't answer your question directly, but I've ordered parts from them. I ordered two barrels in the same order and they shipped me the wrong parts with BOTH units, thus I don't trust that the shopping cart system reflects what they truly have in stock. The barrels they did send me were not major issues so I kept them and never contacted them about the screw up. For example: I ordered a 10.5" nitride and they sent me a parkerized version. And I ordered a 7.5" and they sent me an 8.5" barrel instead. The latter I almost returned because I really wanted a 7.5".

What they should have done is Email me first to tell me that what I ordered was no longer available and ask me if it was okay to substitute a different part with different specs. Or, call me. They didn't do this, but instead swapped what they thought will work.

My parts have not been installed and they have since restocked the parts I initially wanted. But, my order was months ago, so I haven't contacted them about sending me the parts I really ordered.

Additionally, I have had parts in my shopping cart loaded up and then Email them late one night inquiring about whether they will have something in stock that I wanted to add to my cart. And then, the following morning waiting for their response, my cached shopping cart coincidentally removes a very similar part from my cart and says it's no longer in stock. The remaining items in my order did not change. So, unless someone was shopping in the middle of the night, I find it odd the parts just disappeared after my Email. Additionally, there was no response at all to my Email inquiry from them and I should be in their database as a customer.

Based on my experience, I would maybe expect to have parts substituted in your order depending on what you order. $00.02
From recollection, ship time was 7-10 days after my order date.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Back