Appendix carry, why it’s SAFE

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

🙋‍♂️ After a deep youtube rabbit hole, I decided to appendix carry with Engima. Since no money, time, or emotion was invested in different carry positions, it was easier for me.

Even after years of self abuse I still find it difficult to point a gun at my junk.

Even after years of self abuse I still find it difficult to point a gun at my junk.
#1: "Never point your gun at anything you do not intend to shoot." ;)

Since all three primary holster positions are covered in the video, I wonder if anyone has mentioned that rule and what his response may be.

Last edited:
John did not mention another advantage of appendix carry, it is a little harder for someone to take my gun away from me with it located there. My gun is right in front of me at all times.

IWB, I only carry in a well fitting kydex holster. I understand the mechanics of the Glock firing system and can test it to make sure all safeties are functioning. (Thanks MGB!) The kydex holster adds yet another layer of safety.

I have tried many different carry positions, I always end up back at AIWB. I have zero concern of shooting myself from within the holster and drawing from concealment is easier for me at that location than any other spot. The only thing that does concern me about AIWB is getting into a car or motorcycle accident and what the seat belt or gas tank would do to me with the added protrusion.

As with any choice in life, weigh the pros/cons and decide what works best for you.

#1: "Never point your gun at anything you do not intend to shoot." ;)

Since all three primary holster positions are covered in the video, I wonder if anyone has mentioned that rule and what his response may be.
He did a fair job of demonstrating that the gun is pointed at himself in all 3 carry positions.

Realistically I don't intend to shoot anything, even the floor. But that muzzle is going to point at something at all times. All the options for a negligent discharge are bad. I work really hard to be very deliberate in handling the weapon in the situations when the chances of an ND are highest - drawing, holstering, loading and unloading.

I’m carrying a .380 compact as we speak and it’s not pointing at anything but the chair I’m sitting on.
I’ve appendix carried a Yugo M57 and a Beretta 92. Once I find a decent holster I’ll start carrying my 1911.
Now these are all hammer guns and I carry Condition 2. I’ve also carried pocket size ‘strikers’.
There’s another advantage to appendix carry, it prints less.
All concealed carriers that I’ve ‘made’ carried 3-4-5-9 o’clock.
I’ve hugged people while carrying, arms generally fall by your sides when someone hugs you.
No need to do an awkward side hug.

Liberals stuff their pants with socks, I guess a Conservative man stuffs his pants with a gun -totally different intents here regarding how they are trying to attract or divert attention...:outta here:
:LOL:
No, I don't, in seriousness, have much against appendix-carry -either your firearm is safe to carry and it is safe, or it isn't safe to carry and shouldn't be carried (or even loaded, for that matter). [Shrug.]

That said, I don't appendix carry. I like the control and accessibility offered by AIWB carry, but I'm just not comfortable with it in a consideration of physical comfort. I don't mind 3-o'clock, 7-5, or even 9-o'clock cross-draw in certain circumstances for IWB, but honestly if I am carrying anything more than a Compact and trying to keep it concealed, I find a shoulder-rig to be the best for me. I am not a large person, neither by frame nor by build, but I have carried my 5-inch full-size S&W comfortably under a sport-jacket (aka 'blazer' -I know, I am old-school, but I like it that way ;) ) in almost every weather warm enough to not need something even heavier layered over. I don't print. It isn't awkward to sit down. I retain a high degree of control over the weapon and maintain a decent accessibility. If someone glances downward, it doesn't make me wonder uncomfortably what they are looking at either.:ROFLMAO:
...And I never worry about meeting Crocodile Dundee and having my CCW outed.😂 But to each their own, it is more important that you carry it, than where you carry it...

Edit and Side Note: I do appreciate WPS's mention of safety concerns while holstering, etc; Being familiar with proper grip and draw techniques is crucial for CCW in my opinion and re-holstering is probably the most hazardous moment in the entire process, and that is a good video. I do feel he is being either vaguely over-generalizing or possibly even a little disingenuous however, in regards to a 3-o'clock carry option... I have a narrow waist, and in no reasonable stance is an IWB carry at 3-o'clock pointed into my leg, AT ALL. So this is also a body-type/personal build issue as well. Further, at no point does he show that position with anything but a straight vertical orientation -for me at least, I do find about a 23-degree cant to be far more natural and offer better concealment as well, and actually points the muzzle back and away from the core of my leg. I noticed this exclusion just before Jon (or is it John?) mentioned the small of the back holster, and that holster was canted back, I thought he was going to show that in a 3-o'clock and acknowledge the added safety margin... Nope. Hmm.:cautious: Okay, carry your books, carry a torch, carry a tune, carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash-and-carry, carry me back to Old Virginie, even 'hari-kari' if you must, but remember to always safely and legally carry a gun.;)

Last edited:
Back