AR 10 6.5 creedmore build with interchangeable caliber

Shotguntx

Reaction score
I built an AR10 in 6.5 creedmore. I'm wanting to put together a few upper receiver assembles that will interchange with the AR-10/M5 lower I have put together. .308, 6.5 creedmore and 7.62X51. Seems the lower and magazines will interchange with all three calibers. Just need to put together uppers and change them out when I want to shoot one of the different calibers.
I need a little advice putting together the different caliber uppers or reasons why I should not do this.

That's out of my wheelhouse, but I'm sure someone here will have some advice.

Thanks for joining the forum and participating by posting! When you get a chance, please write up a quick “introduction” (or RE-introduction if you were a former MGB forum member) of yourself over in the Introduce Yourself! section. Tell us about yourself, your building experience, and how you found the forum.

Basically, any caliber based on the 308 Winchester case will work. The decision to be made is in choosing other calibers wisely. Select calibers like you would a tool for a particular job. There is significant overlap in all the calibers between 22-250, and 358 Win.

The 8.6 from Faxon looks interesting, especially if being suppressed. But I normally stick with 7.62x51. Mostly because Ive shot it for so long and most of my guesses are better then my math. I do hunt with 243 quite a bit.
Also 6.5 PRC its been around for awhile and has a good track record.
All of these require reloading to achieve any real difference between them. Or to get it to run right and accurately in a particular auto rifle.
Bolt guns are far more forgiving with a small deviation, where as autos just magnify any change. You can opening it up to run anything, but then you're just wasting efforts. Not reaching the potential of the round. Grenade opposed to a stinger. Both are going to fuck shit up. Only 1 has a target.
Least thats been my experience.

I can't think of a reason to do it, at least until you getting around to making another lower (or two, or three...). 7.62x51 is the "same" as .308 Winchester (as 5.56x45 is the "same" as .223, not exactly, of course, but that's been covered elsewhere).

As to whether or not you'll need to change your buffer/spring, IDK. I'd probably be inclined to go with an adjustable gas block (or BCG) for fine tuning.

The only other "trick" that comes to mind is that Aero has both low and high pattern uppers so you need to make sure you've got the correctly patterned handguard to match.

The lower only contains the FCG and a platform to sit the upper. There are many calibers of uppers that will mate to your AR10 lower.

I've built one rifle on the AR-10 platform in .308. My reasoning for the .308, at the time, was ammunition availability and price per round. Since the AR10, DPMS, PSA, etc. aren't standardized like the AR15 platform try to stick with the same brands to get the best fit and function. My .308 took some tuning to get the cycling correct. Aero adjustable gas block worked wonders.

Believe my next build on that platform will be a 26 or 30 Nosler.

Back