AR-10 Bolt Carrier Issue

Harold

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Well I decided to build an LR-308 type "AR-10" (if that's the correct way to describe it) and I've been gathering parts. One of the parts I bought was a bolt carrier assembly made by "Recoil Technologies."

I removed the bolt from the carrier and disassembled it so I could check the headspace (in conjunction with my Faxon 20" "Big Gunner" barrel), and when I attempted to reassemble the bolt carrier assembly, I found that the firing pin retainer, a cotter pin, simply will not go back into place.

I can't imagine how the manufacturer ever installed it in the first place unless some kind of a special tool was used to somehow compress/guide the open end of the cotter pin into the hole on the other side of the carrier.

I have never had any problem like this with an AR-15 bolt carrier assembly.

I'm wondering: Has anyone else here ever encountered this problem? Does anyone have any experience with a bolt carrier assembly made by "Recoil Technologies"?

Quick fix/trick brought to you by SOTAR

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that method didn't work either :(.

Oh man~ Post some pictures, maybe someone else has solution.

After wasting lots of time on it, I finally gave up and sent it back. I spent some time bending the legs so they were in contact with each other at the open end. So the cross section in the plane at the end of the pin was as small and symmetrical as I could make it and I even broke the edges with a fine diamond file. Despite all of this and despite twisting and turning it every way imaginable, every time I thought I might be getting somewhere and I tapped it lightly with a hammer, it was solid metal-on-metal and it wouldn't budge. That's what I get for trying to take advantage of something that was advertised as a "special buy" šŸ™.

I just ordered a "Toolcraft" bolt carrier assy. I hope I have better luck with this one.

This would be another solution, and you are NOT alone with the problem you experienced:

While waiting for one of these after one of those damn cheap cotter-pins BROKE IN HALF, I [very temporarily] made my own from a steel drywall-screw; I ground the threads off of it, fit the head-diameter with a little sanding, notched the ends for retention and cut the shank up the middle... -Looked 96% the same as the one in the picture, though I never range-tested it...:LOL: I still have it as an 'emergency' replacement.

This would be another solution, and you are NOT alone with the problem you experienced:

That's a good idea; thanks. I just ordered one of those retainers in case it happens again.

Back