Video Are Lights On Your Carry Gun Overrated?

I don't have a light on my EDC. But I do have one on my home defense pistol.
No light on my EDC or red dot. kind-a defeats the purpose of a conceal carry, just my thoughts.
For home defense a big yes. You are not trying to conceal but see in a dark home. I know that if I am ever in a defensive situation, if the other guy has a light, I'm aiming at the light.

No light on my EDC or red dot. kind-a defeats the purpose of a conceal carry, just my thoughts.
I don't find the red dot to be an issue at all when it comes to concealment. The same would be true for a light. It doesn't make any difference for concealability. BUT, they add weight and bulk. I like the red dot. I just don't think I'll ever need a light on an EDC, since I don't skulk around in the dark away from home. Most places I go at night are well-lit. :)

But, I do carry a small flashlight in my pocket.

I like and subscribe to Colion Noir's YT channel, but I strongly disagree with two statements (at least) he makes in that particular video:
1) Colion completely misrepresents Ken Hackathorn's point when Ken says, "If you're in the private sector, you're not a soldier, you're not in law enforcement, and carry a gun with a light on it, when was the last time you needed that?" Instead, Colion mocks Hackathorn for mentioning he saw a photo in a newspaper of an LEO pointing his duty weapon light to illuminate an accident victim being treated by an EMT or Paramedic. The point was NOT weapon mounted lights are illegitimate because it was being used by an LEO. The point was WHAT that LEO did with a weapon mounted light: MUZZLING A NON-THREAT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON is an extremely bad example of use of a weapon light! As a firearms trainer, if I saw a photo of an LEO doing that, I would be very alarmed, too and if I actually witnessed it, I would call the LEO out on his inappropriate and risky behavior, even lodging a formal complaint with his LEA! šŸ˜³
2) Later in the video Colion states, "Why is having something to properly identify what I might have to kill be overrated?" WTF, even LEOs that fire their duty weapon are not "shooting to KILL" and as an attorney and Pro-2A content provider, Mr. Noir should know better that to even imply that a civilian is using their EDC to "kill!" Both LEOs and citizen's carrying a firearm for self-defense only shoot to "STOP THE THREAT" and that act may result in the threat being killed, but as long as the threat is stopped, killing is NOT the goal. :rolleyes:

Colion mocks Hackathorn for mentioning he saw a photo in a newspaper of an LEO pointing his duty weapon light to illuminate an accident victim being treated by an EMT or Paramedic. The point was NOT weapon mounted lights are illegitimate because it was being used by an LEO. The point was WHAT that LEO did with a weapon mounted light: MUZZLING A NON-THREAT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON is an extremely bad example of use of a weapon light!
Yes. But the irony of that example, given the context of Hackathorn's previous implication that "only LEO or military would ever need a WML," was not lost on me, either. I noticed it before Colion highlighted it.

Reminds me of the famous DEA agent who proclaimed in front of a school classroom, "I am the only one in this room professional enough to handle this gun.... <BANG!> OW!"

"Why is having something to properly identify what I might have to kill be overrated?" WTF, even LEOs that fire their duty weapon are not "shooting to KILL" and as an attorney and Pro-2A content provider, Mr. Noir should know better that to even imply that a civilian is using their EDC to "kill!"
Yep. I immediately caught that, too. Poor choice of words. Very poor, which is unusual for Colion who is usually quite well-spoken.

Last edited:
Yes. But the irony of that example, given the context of Hackathorn's previous implication that "only LEO or military would ever need a WML," was not lost on me, either. I noticed it before Colion highlighted it.
Since I am not frequently in situations where I need to illuminate a threat, there are no WMLs on any of my SD guns. I do not fault anyone else for using a WML because I'm not in their situation or necessarily have their training, but since a WML necessarily requires me muzzling everything I would be pointing at, it's not something I choose to do, even on a nightstand SD gun. However, it's also why my EDC kit and training regimen includes an rapidly deployable multi-mode SD hand-held light. YMMV!

but since a WML necessarily requires me muzzling everything I would be pointing at, it's not something I choose to do, even on a nightstand SD gun.
This objection is commonly cited, but it is actually false.

A WML can be used to illuminate the area in front of you (including a potential attacker) without muzzling the yet unconfirmed target. It's called "bounce" or indirect lighting.

Simply holding it at low ready, today's lights will illuminate what is in front of you VERY well. Indoors, it will light up the entire room!

This objection is commonly cited, but it is actually false.

A WML can be used to illuminate the area in front of you (including a potential attacker) without muzzling the yet unconfirmed target. It's called "bounce" or indirect lighting.

Simply holding it at low ready, today's lights will illuminate what is in front of you VERY well. Indoors, it will light up the entire room!
I'm fully aware of "bounce" or indirect lighting and it's uses. There are also drawbacks to WML indirect lighting and although one can choose to not switch their WML to ON, in my situation at my home, I have many other sources of indirect illumination. So I choose to not use one. As I said, I do not judge others who make the opposite decision and YMMV!

There are also drawbacks to WML indirect lighting
Such as?

one can choose to not switch their WML to ON
Certainly.

, in my situation at my home, I have many other sources of indirect illumination.
Same here. Most homes are not completely dark at night. But I have a WML on my "home defense" weapons. 'Cuz why not? If I need it, it's there. If I don't, then I don't turn it on.

The chances of me being outdoors in a place that is so dark I need a light to identify an attacker... are virtually nil. So no WML on my EDC. :)

Last edited:
Ive never needed or wanted a light on my pistol. The ability to keep the BG covered and strobe w/e approaching from the side kinda seals the deal for me.
I have had Surefire 870 forend mount since they came out, infact I had to buy my own back in the day and still have/use it. I would be lost without it. I have others also.

Home defenseā€¦ always
EDCā€¦ never
Duty weaponā€¦. Yes
Range/competeā€¦. Never

Back