Back to old school on AR pistols - avoiding brace rule

Firearms101

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Decided not going to worry about the new pistol brace rule anymore and just converted the AR pistols back to the standard pistol receiver extension/buffer tubes. That’s how I built my first couple and enjoyed shooting. Always thought the SB braces were too good of a good thing with ATF prior thumbs up. Really pissed me off with the change, but figured lets just go back to old school.

Decided to just put paracord on several. A couple others that I keep in the bedroom closet or basement for emergencies, I just put the old fluted pistol tube from PSA and added a cap. And even created my own Phase 5 version by adding some generic handle foam tubing and a cap. The caps on all of these are the basic 1 1/8” or 1 1/4’ dia. chair leg rubber cushion I got from Ace Hardware. Really liked the thread on what to use on rubber grips to renew and bought a bottle of 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to clean the caps up, once I drilled a hole in the end. So until they change the rule again, I should be good…..
0A7FF04F-A322-4C43-B3C9-6E14EAFE1137.jpeg
3517B367-C4BB-4CB6-B451-4D00598C95AC.jpeg
2ADAC4B6-DFD1-4BBC-A383-EE1F1C537C30.jpeg

I'm still waiting but did order kak 6" flash hider to pin & weld my 10.5" barrel later. Signed up if you need one, sold out in few minutes, I'm sure demand is high.

1675137170286.png

Edit: use code PSR for 10% off

Last edited:
Decided not going to worry about the new pistol brace rule anymore and just converted the AR pistols back to the standard pistol receiver extension/buffer tubes. That’s how I built my first couple and enjoyed shooting. Always thought the SB braces were too good of a good thing with ATF prior thumbs up. Really pissed me off with the change, but figured lets just go back to old school.

Decided to just put paracord on several. A couple others that I keep in the bedroom closet or basement for emergencies, I just put the old fluted pistol tube from PSA and added a cap. And even created my own Phase 5 version by adding some generic handle foam tubing and a cap. The caps on all of these are the basic 1 1/8” or 1 1/4’ dia. chair leg rubber cushion I got from Ace Hardware. Really liked the thread on what to use on rubber grips to renew and bought a bottle of 303 Rubber Seal Protectant to clean the caps up, once I drilled a hole in the end. So until they change the rule again, I should be good…..
View attachment 9078View attachment 9079View attachment 9080
This is the best plan at this point until things shake out in the courts (if they do).
I suck at tying knots! I'm the worst.

Anybody care to elaborate on how to tie a tight and smooth loops like pictured here so that it won't unravel? Looks like it has a loop on the underside of each rotation of the cord around the buffer tube that snugs it tight. And what to do at the end when you're done looping and need to tie it off? This is too much rocket science for my small brain.

This is the best plan at this point until things shake out in the courts (if they do).

Anybody care to elaborate on how to tie a tight and smooth loops like pictured here so that it won't unravel? Looks like it has a loop on the underside of each rotation of the cord around the buffer tube that snugs it tight. And what to do at the end when you're done looping and need to tie it off? This is too much rocket science for my small brain.
-Dude.
1675156551200.png

:ROFLMAO::outta here:

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the alphabet bois already tried to prosecute a guy for a crutch tip on the buffer tube. It got thrown out, but that doesn't mean they won't try again.

Last edited:

You don't have to tie knots if you don't want to. I didn't.
I just crossed the cord and cinched it tight on the bottom of the buffer tube using the same method you use as the first step in tying a shoe lace.
Then rotate 180° and do the same thing on the top of the tube. Keep the cross centered for a neat appearance.
Repeat until you get to the end of the buffer tube or wherever you want it to stop. make the last one on the underside of the tube. Cinch the last one up very tight and trim the ends short with a razor blade. Melt the ends into the cord with a soldering iron. And done!

1675160062094.png

Our favorite alphabet agency is expecting 60% compliance. Even if that proves true, it will take years to process the millions of forms submitted. If it doesn't prove true, what are they going to do enforcement wise? Pull a Red Dawn moment and comb through 4473's for owners names and addresses?
Plus, I don't think the average Joe realizes the restrictions that come with owning an SBR.

Can you say Clusterfuck boys and girls? 😯

Our favorite alphabet agency is expecting 60% compliance. Even if that proves true, it will take years to process the millions of forms submitted. If it doesn't prove true, what are they going to do enforcement wise? Pull a Red Dawn moment and comb through 4473's for owners names and addresses?
Plus, I don't think the average Joe realizes the restrictions that come with owning an SBR.

Can you say Clusterfuck boys and girls? 😯

Consider that NY and CT had 6% and 12% compliance, respectively, with so-called "assault weapons" registration when they passed such a law after the Sandy Hook murders.

I think 60% is SUPER-optimistic.

I'm going to predict maybe 5%. Maybe.

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the alphabet bois already tried to prosecute a guy for a crutch tip on the buffer tube. It got thrown out, but that doesn't mean they won't try again.

Thanks for posting this link. If folks have read the new rule, it's arguable that even a pistol buffer tube could be perceived as a device designed to help with shouldering an AR. The small area on the end of the tube is the area that could be a concern based on the wording in the rule, even though the tube is a necessary component for the firearm to function. The ATF has left the wording very open here.

So, I immediately thought the rubber stopper on the end of @Firearms101 's buffer tube could be considered a surface that facilitates shouldering when he first posted the photos. I didn't bother chiming in because I also didn't want to rain on a parade not knowing whether this would be splitting hairs. And then you posted this link showing that the ATF has split hairs over a similar setup.

And then we have Congress critters flapping their gums about this brace issue this week when they know they don't have the power in Congress to take action. They always squawk the loudest for show when they don't have the power. When they do, they're quiet as church mice.

And the idiot named it the "Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today Act". He names it an act for rifles when he's addressing pistols, so he admits out of the gate that pistols are rifles in the headline. :rolleyes:

I doubt this will have any teeth.

And @no4mk1t , thanks for the paracord tying tips. I successfully tied my shoe yesterday on the tenth attempt, so I'll probably try your method.

And the idiot named it the "Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today Act". He names it an act for rifles when he's addressing pistols, so he admits out of the gate that pistols are rifles in the headline. :rolleyes:

Would have been better to call it "Stop Harassing Constitutionally-Protected Gun Owners."

Would have been better to call it "Stop Harassing Constitutionally-Protected Gun Owners."
"Deliver The Archery Dude To Congress Act". 🏹

Just give him the full five minutes. Five minutes uninterrupted at the podium and I assure you he could deliver the most convincing argument they've heard in Congress yet.

"Deliver The Archery Dude To Congress Act". 🏹

Just give him the full five minutes. Five minutes uninterrupted at the podium and I assure you he could deliver the most convincing argument they've heard in Congress yet.

GENIUS!

Sure, basic marlinespike seamanship…fancy work whipping/ lashing. Every sailor should have this skill. Here’s a couple
1) Easy- French spiral whip 1 line. It’s a hitch knot. If you want it straight flip the loop left then right instead of just one side. See #2492 below
9A36E708-AB4D-4A3D-A8A2-2FFA71B1D20F.jpeg
FD82FB18-52BC-4686-872B-42CD1B2BB10D.jpeg
2) Square knot…everyone knows this one
BEC1F9E5-7908-4FCD-AC90-AC2C81B6B4B8.jpeg

3) Little harder but doable. Turks Head
6EC47515-1C8F-4DF4-A20D-DB2F9F308DB5.jpeg
2C50471A-A520-4317-977F-21BA327EA0AA.jpeg

Here’s a double twist video you tube has tons of how tos. Most single or double line fancy work is not very difficult.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlfSKC68n0

Here is the video I used as guide. It is called an ax handle wrap. I started tying the knots on the far butt end and worked my way towards the threaded end. Once I had enough knots tied for the proper length, I followed the instruction of pulling the cord thru the last loop. Then I trimmed that cord to leave an inch or so, melted the end, put it thru the loop that is under the paracord. I then slowly pulled the other end of the cord to get the inch or so of cord and loop pulled under the wrap. With the other end that you used to pull thru, trim it to about 1/2 inch, melt the end, and put the end cap over it. If concerned about end cap, you can just trim the end flush. It will take about 12 to 15 feet of cord depending on how tight it is tied and length. By the time I got to the third one, the knots become pretty intuitive - trick is to getting all the knots tied snug and consistent.

View: https://youtu.be/QXfVRZ_hF8g

Thanks for posting this link. If folks have read the new rule, it's arguable that even a pistol buffer tube could be perceived as a device designed to help with shouldering an AR. The small area on the end of the tube is the area that could be a concern based on the wording in the rule, even though the tube is a necessary component for the firearm to function. The ATF has left the wording very open here.
No, not really. They do in deed acknowledge the tube is necessary for function, and that makes it an excluded item, so long as there is nothing embellishing it. As soon as you have added 'area' to it though, like a brace, a baby-shoe, duct-tape and a beer-can, and presumably a rubber cane foot or door-stopper, yeah you are inviting trouble.

So, I immediately thought the rubber stopper on the end of @Firearms101 's buffer tube could be considered a surface that facilitates shouldering when he first posted the photos. I didn't bother chiming in because I also didn't want to rain on a parade not knowing whether this would be splitting hairs. And then you posted this link showing that the ATF has split hairs over a similar setup.
Same here. I thought along the same lines.

I think 60% is SUPER-optimistic.
I'm going to predict maybe 5%. Maybe.
I didn't go to the link on @no4mk1t 's post about the 60% estimate, but it sounds like they are deciding 'compliane' is 'SBR registration'? Sort says the quiet part out loud, doesn't it? They are after a registry, period. None of the rest of this stuff matters to them, they have their eye on the prize and they are pulling every dirty and unscrupulous trick they can to get it. Screw that. I like the paracord wrap ideas here, thank you very much. Yeah, 60% registering isn't going to happen. History has shown what happens after a gun registry. I'm not inviting a "come and take it" scenario -I propose a "quietly disband and go find a real job and leave us the Hell alone, your services are no longer required" scenario.

Interesting idea... just wondering if he would use the belt quiver or the back quiver? How many arrows can you have before it is considered a high-capacity quiver? ;)

Back to reality, but I gotta agree with Racer88 on the compliance percentage. I dunno, but I suspect the "compliance" will be quite low. Not that the alphabet clowns will have any real way of measuring the percentage. I guess they will just make up whatever stats they want to justify calling it a success.

Meanwhile.... a whole lot of braces are going to magically disappear in the real world.

Personally this one doesn't effect me, since I never owned a brace to start with, just never saw the advantage of such a short length of pull. The one AR pistol I own was converted into a 16" carbine years ago, so I don't even see any reason for doing the application even if I were remotely inclined to comply with this BS.

Judging by the way you wrapped that Red 300 Blackout, Id say you were probably a Samurai Sword maker in a previous life...That is some pretty sick knotwork!!

Interesting idea... just wondering if he would use the belt quiver or the back quiver? How many arrows can you have before it is considered a high-capacity quiver?

;)
Q1. Both. It requires a belt quiver and a back quiver.
Q2. 434 is the high-capacity threshold.

This leaves one remaining member to share what the speech was about with any future members willing to step up to the plate.
You have to work, think and act like the Commies do right now. Anything less and you lose.

Back