Build #2 - First Shots - Range Report

OK... I cleaned up the breach face with 400 and then 800 sandpaper on a small file. Also touched up the corner / edge of the extractor. We'll see how it goes next time at the range!

Thanks for the help!

I'll use a small fine cut triangle file or a small triangle honing stone. The reason for using a triangle shape (or a file with safe sides) is so that you don't remove any material from the sides.

Exactly what I used... a small triangle file, but with 400-grit sandpaper wrapped around it. It didn't take much, and it was very smooth. Then 800-grit just to polish it a bit.

I normally don't even bother with the sand paper unless there is a lot of excess Cerakote.

I trusted myself with the fine sandpaper more than the file. :)

I trusted myself with the fine sandpaper more than the file. :)
^^^This. It may be just a tad slower going, but it also smooths the surface as you go better than just a file, reducing the time it would take on the next step anyway. It is an old mechanic's trick to use a file to wrap the sandpaper around, as the tiny irregularities caused in the sand-paper's surface can actually help trap more material before the paper is packed-in, and more realistically the file teeth just help hold the sandpaper from sliding around as a smooth surface would. Lots of different ways to get the same results, but this outlines my method pretty well.(y)

Just tried this. It's not difficult. A little resistance. Though examining the extractor (removed from the slide) reveals that that little finger / hook is fairly sharp. Smooth it a bit? With which tool?

Looking at the breech face, it may have a bit of "stuff" on it. I've cleaned it but it still feels a bit rough in the corners. What is the best way to polish up the breech face?

Thanks!

I’ve used a bronze brush and Flitz to Polish feed ramps and breech faces before. Not sure I’d want to remove anything to make the ‘hook’ less sharp though. It may just be the breech face. If it’s smooth as can be the round may slide right up and in.

Update on Build #2 - Black 940C.

100 rounds today with ZERO malfunctions. So, polishing the extractor and breach face seemed to do the trick! Still pulling shots low-left. I haven't benched the pistol, yet. So, I'm not sure if it's me (probably) or the sights need tweaking. I'll get back to the range with a bench rest to sort that out.

1656890979984.png

That’s great to hear/read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job! Now build one without Rook Rails.

Another update... this build now has 355 rounds through it. No malfunctions at all since I cleaned up the breech-face and extractor.

Like buttah!

Back