BUIS Preference: Rear sight behind or in front of the optics?

purchase another AND mill
Have you look into different vendor?
Are you comfortable using Reddit?
Try reddit vendor: u/wage92

Inexpesive and good review and really fast turn around time, less than a week in some orders

Gosh no. That would never look good (and maybe not reversible). I would want a machined piece that fits in there. It wouldn't have to be perfectly flush - in the front sight slot, for example. It could be a sort of "vestigial" sight.

Or maybe it could be a special / custom request from slide makers like Zaffiri - iron sight slot delete option!
Something reversible and more or less invisible is a tough call. Maybe something formulated to be a press-in and knockout? That would have to stand up to recoil, though.

As many doo dads and cutouts in today's slides I don't see why not just let it open. It's a small oval at the front. (shrugs)

Have you look into different vendor?
Are you comfortable using Reddit?
Try reddit vendor: u/wage92

Inexpesive and good review and really fast turn around time, less than a week in some orders
I don't fully understand "reddit" but I'm on there and looked them up, thanks!!! Great referral!

RDS and RMR sights are the same thing right? Terms for mini holographic sights that can handle recoil forces?

RDS and RMR sights are the same thing right? Terms for mini holographic sights that can handle recoil forces?

Correct. Though RMR is a branded name from Trijicon. I believe it stands for "Ruggedized Miniature Reflex" sight.

RDS = Red dot sight.

MRDS = Miniature red dot sight.

I think I got those right. If not, someone will be along to correct me!

PSA has this lovely complete Dagger slide on sale for only $200. If I had even one C/19 lower I'd probably buy it. But yeah the rear sight in front of the cutout looks kinda weird to me, though I'm sure it's fine.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...y-cuts-lower-1-3-co-witness-sights-green.html
Be aware that the cutout is for a DOCTOR brand RDS.
1652103199178.png

Someone on another forum figured that out the hard way (after buying), even though it's stipulated on their webpage. On that same thread, this was offered as a guide on MRDS footprints and slide milling:

Last edited:
View attachment 2774

Someone on another forum figured that out the hard way (after buying), even though it's stipulated on their webpage. On that same thread, this was offered as a guide on MRDS footprints and slide milling:

I didn't even know there were different kinds? That's good to know!
My only RMR type sight is a Swampfox Justice that I mounted on a MDX slide, and I guess I got lucky since I just assumed they'd fit. Thanks for the info!

I didn't even know there were different kinds? That's good to know!
My only RMR type sight is a Swampfox Justice that I mounted on a MDX slide, and I guess I got lucky since I just assumed they'd fit. Thanks for the info!

The mounting "footprint" for pistol optics is NOT standardized or universal. The RMR mount seems to be "in the lead." But, yeah... the slide milling and optic footprint have to be compatible. Pretty important when you're spending hundreds of dollars.

The mounting "footprint" for pistol optics is NOT standardized or universal. The RMR mount seems to be "in the lead." But, yeah... the slide milling and optic footprint have to be compatible. Pretty important when you're spending hundreds of dollars.
Not only footprint but also screws are not standardized.

I got ZP G19 RMSc optic cut + HS507k bundle BF deal. None of Holosun included a screw fit. RMSc optic cut footprint is compatible with HS507K. Had to email ZP and they sent the correct screw. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

View attachment 2774

YEP, RMR is different than DOC cut (there two other cuts as well, but RMR and DOC are most popular.....the DOC cut fits Viper Venom, Burris FastFire 2&3, and some others.

UPDATE: Welp folks, I was thinking of trying a PSA Dagger slide....but got a bit gunshy and went with a Strike Industries Liteslide- already milled for RMR and DOC type of RDS'. It's machined from 17-4 billet stainless steel...so I'm going with the conventional way (behind the RDS) to use the BUIS...have a set of TruGo Tritium PRO MOS sights on the way; and a Burris FastFire II RDS already set aside that I picked up locally new, for a ridiculously good price. Thanks for your help and input.

I'll post a pic when I have it together.

Last edited:
Back