Credit Card Firms To Code Gun And Ammo Purchases To Make Them Easier To Track

I wonder how long it will be before they start pressuring banks and CC companies to refuse firearms transactions, working the other side of the coin from the pressure to close-down 2A merchants by denying them payment processing services
That's happened already, both recently and several years ago (Operation Choke Point).

I am concerned about having my payments canceled, I am concerned about paying a higher tax-rate on ammo, I am concerned about them knocking on my door because the amount I might spend on firearms-related merchandise over a period of time might exceed what some bureaucrat has judged 'normal', I am concerned about the continued division in our society being forced by bad-acting politicians, I am concerned about merely owning a gun becoming a point of negative judgement, I am concerned for future generations being able to exercise (or even legally retain) their gun-Rights. EVERY step they take to segregate, isolate, and demonize guns and law-abiding gun-owners, I am concerned about.
I certainly agree with all that. This fight will never be over. Therefore, we must NEVER give up or rest.

Do we know what the "code" will be and under which category it will fall? "Shopping and Entertainment", "General Purchases" .... or will it have it's own category. I've searched my VISA account to see if I could find a way to determine which vendors might fall under this new code. A bit confusing at this point on how each VISA CC might record / show these purchases.

I assume they've already got a gun registry via 4473's, so this must be to track ammo and parts? And to account for all the guns that have changed hands via private sale? I'm surprised they don't just require a 4473 for ammo purchases. Their attack on 2A is relentless.

I just got this email from Brownell's:
----------------------------------------------

Dear ,

I’m sure you’ve heard a lot in the news recently about major credit companies coming together to create a new merchant category code (MCC) for firearm and ammunition retailers. We’ve received a lot of inquiries about what this means, how it could impact customers and how Brownells is classified today and in the future.

Therefore, I wanted to reach out to you – a valued customer and friend – to clarify a few things regarding this issue.

Brownells Classification Now & Going Forward
First and foremost, I want you to know that Brownells has long been classified as a “sporting goods retailer” by credit card companies. After conversation with our banking partners, we have confirmed that we will continue to be classified as a SPORTING GOODS RETAILER.

To be clear, we WILL NOT be changing to the new MCC dedicated to firearm and ammunition retailers. This is mainly due to the types of products we predominately sell.

Industry Impacts
Throughout Brownells’ 83-year-history in the firearm industry, we’ve proudly taken a stand for our industry, gun owners in general and the 2nd Amendment – irrespective of whether legislation, regulatory actions or other anti-2A measures have impacted us directly.

Put simply, we’re all in the fight for freedom and privacy together. Are we happy that our MCC code isn’t changing? Yes. However, we are deeply concerned with the impact this new classification may have on firearm owners or prospective firearm owners, local gun stores and even our competitors.

Therefore, you have my word that we will join in any effort to make our voices heard and to educate all parties involved in this matter.

Our Position on Your Privacy
We love offering you firearms, firearm accessories, parts, tools, ammunition, reloading products and all of the accoutrements to outfit your next firearm-related adventure. As shooters, hunters, firearm do-it-yourselfers, and gunsmiths ourselves, nothing brings us more pleasure than to see and hear from you about how our products, content and services help you pursue your passions.

However, I can assure you – our NUMBER ONE priority is the safety, security and privacy of your data. Our promise to you is that we will continue to vehemently guard your personal data and order information, always.

Sincerely,

Chad Martin
CEO, Brownells, Inc.

Last edited:
Here in AZ we have a place called True Shot Gun Club. An large, ammo warehouse, sells online, and in person.

Pretty neat place, small area for purchase/pickup. and glass walls to see the ammo, being picked. Very busy place, loads on dolly's being rolled out to folks trucks, and cars. They have some really great deals, but they charge a 9.99 fee, for in person pickup.

I go, and pay cash.

I just got this email from Brownell's:
----------------------------------------------

Dear ,

I’m sure you’ve heard a lot in the news recently about major credit companies coming together to create a new merchant category code (MCC) for firearm and ammunition retailers. We’ve received a lot of inquiries about what this means, how it could impact customers and how Brownells is classified today and in the future.

Therefore, I wanted to reach out to you – a valued customer and friend – to clarify a few things regarding this issue.

Brownells Classification Now & Going Forward
First and foremost, I want you to know that Brownells has long been classified as a “sporting goods retailer” by credit card companies. After conversation with our banking partners, we have confirmed that we will continue to be classified as a SPORTING GOODS RETAILER.

To be clear, we WILL NOT be changing to the new MCC dedicated to firearm and ammunition retailers. This is mainly due to the types of products we predominately sell.

Industry Impacts
Throughout Brownells’ 83-year-history in the firearm industry, we’ve proudly taken a stand for our industry, gun owners in general and the 2nd Amendment – irrespective of whether legislation, regulatory actions or other anti-2A measures have impacted us directly.

Put simply, we’re all in the fight for freedom and privacy together. Are we happy that our MCC code isn’t changing? Yes. However, we are deeply concerned with the impact this new classification may have on firearm owners or prospective firearm owners, local gun stores and even our competitors.

Therefore, you have my word that we will join in any effort to make our voices heard and to educate all parties involved in this matter.

Our Position on Your Privacy
We love offering you firearms, firearm accessories, parts, tools, ammunition, reloading products and all of the accoutrements to outfit your next firearm-related adventure. As shooters, hunters, firearm do-it-yourselfers, and gunsmiths ourselves, nothing brings us more pleasure than to see and hear from you about how our products, content and services help you pursue your passions.

However, I can assure you – our NUMBER ONE priority is the safety, security and privacy of your data. Our promise to you is that we will continue to vehemently guard your personal data and order information, always.

Sincerely,

Chad Martin
CEO, Brownells, Inc.
FJB

Here in AZ we have a place called True Shot Gun Club. An large, ammo warehouse, sells online, and in person.

Pretty neat place, small area for purchase/pickup. and glass walls to see the ammo, being picked. Very busy place, loads on dolly's being rolled out to folks trucks, and cars. They have some really great deals, but they charge a 9.99 fee, for in person pickup.

I go, and pay cash.

I have purchased from them online. Very good to do business with.

When I think about it... Brownell's (and others like MidwayUSA) are BIG customers for the merchant services companies. The MSCs make a LOT of money FROM the merchants. So, really.... the merchants (at least the big ones to start with) are in the driver's seat. They can say to the MSC: "Either you classify all of our transactions as 'Sporting Goods', or we'll take the millions you make from us per year... somewhere else."

Last edited:
Back