DIY Gas Buster Charging Handle

no4mk1t

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Thought everyone has heard of this, but after talking with another member in a PM, maybe not. High Power shooters have been doing this since the 90's, so I thought everyone else was too.

To keep the action gas from leaking out the back of the receiver and making your aiming eye water, there is a simple fix that is effective, and can be done in a few minutes. No special tools or skills required. All you need is:
  1. A tube of Permatex RTV silicone. Black if you don't want it to be noticeable, or one of the various colors if you want some contrast.
  2. A couple of Q-tips.
  3. Gun grease or oil.
  4. Something to degrease metal with. Brakleen, carb spray, BC Gun Scrubber etc.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
P1010130-2.jpg

Separate the upper from the lower and remove the BCG and CH.

You are going to de-grease the semi circular area on the top of the charging handle. Use both ends of the Q-Tip to get all the oil and dirt off. Repeat until the Q-Tip remains white.

Use the other Q-Tip and apply a thin film of gun grease or oil to the areas indicated in the pics and surrounding metal within about 1/2" or so of the RTV. We want the RTV to stick to the CH in the recessed semi circular area only, but not the upper receiver.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
P1010135.jpg

wol_error.gif
P1010133-1.jpg

Cut the plastic applicator tip on a 45* angle with a sharp knife at the mid point of the smallest section.
Apply a generous bead about 3/16" diameter to the semi circular area of the CH. You want to apply enough so that it squishes out a little when the CH is in the closed/latched position.

Notice that when the charging handle is forward and latched that there is a small amount of fore and aft movement possible. After applying the RTV and latching the CH, you want to gently pull the CH rearward before leaving it to cure.

To make it pretty, wet your finger in some water and firmly run it over the fresh RTV following the semi circular cut out as you would when caulking a bath tub or sink.

Leave to cure for 24 hrs.

If you have a little bit of thin RTV that needs trimming, borrow the wife's cuticle scissors which work nicely.

When done, the RTV is barely noticeable, and keeps the gas from leaking through nicely.

wol_error.gif
P1010131-2.jpg

I’ve found as in video below that more gas comes from the bottom than the top. SilencerCo has a new CH that has an o-ring in it on the bottom to prevent gas blowout.

While I haven't used RTV for this mod, I have filled in the underside of the charging handles with it on my 22 rimfire builds. It keeps the empty 22lr cases from getting stuck between the charging handle and top of the bolt. The RTV has held up just fine.

And RTV is cheap enough if you have to redo it down the road.
Yes, I did this as well.
Gas eye is even worse of a suppressed AR, making this mod or one of the $50+ gas buster charging handles a must have.

Back