Do I need (vs WANT) it? Advice and counsel please

One Ping Only

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Ok, so you know my first RDS purchase yesterday. So I'm questioning validity or just taste/style here. BTW, its the 3moa version.

My SC (G26ish) already has tru-glo TFO sights (tritium/fiber optics), and that nifty Olight MINI (green dot) we have a 2nd (for Mrs) with the same sights and no Olight.

The 19 has speed sights (tritium under very bold diamonds) with the option of slapping-on the O-MINI or one of its own. Again, we have another twin of this, no w/no Olight.

So I have laser/light/fiberoptic irons w/tritium, on my subcompact. ie: No problem with seeing my target or my sights. lol

See, what kinda messed me up was that a few weeks ago, our LGS got in one of the new SIG365XL/Romeo red dot setups, and when I was there they had just unboxed it and I was the first customer to see/hold it. I'd never personally had any exposure to RDS sidearms. And this encounter really hit home with me. And then after some shopping back n forth, I purchased the Burris FF3.

So i'm asking myself, what am I doing, what is my goal? A rds WASN'T even on my radar months ago before the SC build. No, I don't have any undue aspirations that my SC G26 clone will ever be that SIG. It's a GLOCK design pure and simple. But the SIG (as a package) really spoke to what I was wanting to achieve as a subcompact tool. I just couldn't quite describe it until somebody had defined it and put it in front of my face.

I'm thinking I want my SC to more or less go down the same road as the SIG i encountered, so that would mean if I wanted the TruGlo's to remain, to retain the front sight, and either use a dovetail plate to mount the Burris and completely remove the rear TruGlo (id rather not as it makes it taller), or have my slide milled to ditch the rear BUIS entirely or for the Burris in front of the BUIS...or...well you know the options I have.

I don't think they can mill the slide enough to use the TruGlo's as a cowitness setup,. so the thought is leaving the TG front sight, and having the Burris FF3 at the rear, no rear BUIS.

Again it's all about more of a point n shoot aspect with a self defense RDS tool. I hate wasting the rear TG sight, but may find use for it elsewhere.

Would the RDS be better on the 26, or the 19, or is there any difference? is the Bigger 19 a more realistic platform? If so, then why the SIG365XL/Romer setup?

I've been out of this firearms game for decades, and am still catching up. Knowing "need" is subjective, what say ye? Being sort of a a luddite by tradition but forcing myself to embrace the "now" tech where it's truly warranted and think not only for the NOW, but fwd. Thanks for your time and objective experience and advice, helping me make the right choice.

Last edited:
What about starting fresh by either building a whole new upper / slide that is pre-milled for the SC? Or keep the SC you have and build a whole new SC with the RDS in mind?

What about starting fresh by either building a whole new upper / slide that is pre-milled for the SC? Or keep the SC you have and build a whole new SC with the RDS in mind?
hehehe. and that would be another unspoken option that you just HAD TO SAY!! (cackle) and I asked for it, didn't it?

Actually, my first intent in purchasing the Burris was bc I'm acquiring a new G19 upper that the Burris would go on....and then the whole SC subject kinda bit me hard on reflecting on my SIG experience. Good thought, Racer. Shoot, maybe fit both the 19 and 26's with them....oh this is a juggernaut. And it seems that the tech for RDS is here to stay, and pretty sorted out. Why not have one on both, maybe? Just leave the front TruGlo's on. Hmmm. Keep em coming!!

hehehe. and that would be another unspoken option that you just HAD TO SAY!! (cackle) and I asked for it, didn't it?

Actually, my first intent in purchasing the Burris was bc I'm acquiring a new G19 upper that the Burris would go on....and then the whole SC subject kinda bit me hard on reflecting on my SIG experience. Good thought, Racer. Shoot, maybe fit both the 19 and 26's with them....oh this is a juggernaut. And it seems that the tech for RDS is here to stay, and pretty sorted out. Why not have one on both, maybe? Just leave the front TruGlo's on. Hmmm. Keep em coming!!

Well... everybody knows that MORE is BETTER! :LOL:
:outta here:

John Wick lots of guns.gif

Hahahah.

What gun website is not chock-a-block full of enablers?

I have night sights I ordered for one of my builds. I have an RDS I ordered for one of my builds. Just because. What does need have to do with any of this, eh? Nothing, says I. It's all about want, don't apologize for it, and don't look for absolution on any purchase.

But the other (unspecified number) frames I have will live with Glock OEM sights. Because they work and are sufficient for 98.7% of situations you may find yourself in.

I just made that statistic up, on the spot. Most stats you see on the Intarwebz are.

BTW, I love him, but @Racer88 is an enabler extradorinaire. He has a real talent for it.

And I mean that in a bro-loving sort of way, if you know what I mean. :D

BTW, I love him, but @Racer88 is an enabler extradorinaire. He has a real talent for it.

And I mean that in a bro-loving sort of way, if you know what I mean. :D

I'm really just assuaging my own guilt! It works! I've now got more OEM Glock parts than I need for a long time! Same goes for frames!

Hahahah.

What gun website is not chock-a-block full of enablers?

I have night sights I ordered for one of my builds. I have an RDS I ordered for one of my builds. Just because. What does need have to do with any of this, eh? Nothing, says I. It's all about want, don't apologize for it, and don't look for absolution on any purchase.

But the other (unspecified number) frames I have will live with Glock OEM sights. Because they work and are sufficient for 98.7% of situations you may find yourself in.

I just made that statistic up, on the spot. Most stats you see on the Intarwebz are.
LOL!!! Truly I'm not looking for absolution or assuage any "guilt"....the RDS world is new ground for me, and I stop and thought to myself "I already have the laser/light & FO/Tritium sights"....checking my focus and direction perhaps. And again, at my age and having been away from this stuff for so long and jumping back in, I'm looking to embrace the NEW as it is merited.

Anyway, welcome to enablers anon! snort

Last edited:
I'm thinking I want my SC to more or less go down the same road as the SIG i encountered, so that would mean if I wanted the TruGlo's to remain, to retain the front sight, and either use a dovetail plate to mount the Burris and completely remove the rear TruGlo (id rather not as it makes it taller), or have my slide milled to ditch the rear BUIS entirely or for the Burris in front of the BUIS...or...well you know the options I have.

Here's how to make Glock26 similar to Sig365xl/Romeo style.

First, you will need micro footprint RDS, ie Romeo, HS407K, HS507K, RMRcc, etc (i.e. Single stack RDS)
Most if not all micro RDS has a rear notch that can be used as backup iron.
Sig365xl rear iron is part of the cover plate, if installing RDS you will lose the rear iron, but Romeo RDS has notch built-in.

Second, I don't recommend a dovetail mount, your natural draw stoke will be way off and need to get re-trained. Two options for milling the slide. Dovetail intact or without dovetail. If I had to redo my setup, I would ask them without a dovetail with micro RDS. I gave you two optic vendors, both can accommodate your request if asked. It really comes down to your personal preference. As I said nowadays I don't even see my iron anymore.

For an example of single stack RDS on the 19/26 slide.

1652052027346.png1652052037113.png

This is Glock 19 slide with a single stack RDS setup with a dovetail in front of the optic.
HS507k has a rear notch with regular height fiber optic iron.

A final option would be to order an extra g26 slide with FF3 footprint to play with.

Last edited:
Here's how to make Glock26 similar to Sig365xl/Romeo style.

First, you will need micro footprint RDS, ie Romeo, HS407K, HS507K, RMRcc, etc (i.e. Single stack RDS)
Most if not all micro RDS has a rear notch that can be used as backup iron.
Sig365xl rear iron is part of the cover plate, if installing RDS you will lose the rear iron, but Romeo RDS has notch built-in.

Second, I don't recommend a dovetail mount, your natural draw stoke will be way off and need to get re-trained. Two options for milling the slide. Dovetail intact or without dovetail. If I had to redo my setup, I would ask them without a dovetail with micro RDS. I gave you two optic vendors, both can accommodate your request if asked. It really comes down to your personal preference. As I said nowadays I don't even see my iron anymore.

For an example of single stack RDS on the 19/26 slide.

View attachment 2768View attachment 2769

This is Glock 19 slide with a single stack RDS setup with a dovetail in front of the optic.
HS507k has a rear notch with regular height fiber optic iron.

A final option would be to order an extra g26 slide with FF3 footprint to play with.
This Burris FF3 is a little RDS... I'd certainly say micro.. it's so small that I was shocked when they opened a box in the display. Perfect for the SC. Right, i don't want a dovetail plate, but close to the bore axis, meaning the slide milled, or a 2nd slide pre-milled. Hey I already have a spare (that HGW with the shallow serrations) that I could have milled for a DOC cut (Fits Burris, Vortex, etc) and maybe have them clean up those striations in the process. Hmm. I'm already going to order a FDE slide for the G19 that's already cut for it. Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't familiar with FF3 so I did a quick google image search...
looks like it is single stack size. Yea I would consider FF3 a micro RDS.
Since FF3 doesn't have the notch, I would ask them to leave the dovetail.
Welcome to RDS, it is as they as... game changer šŸ˜

I wasn't familiar with FF3 so I did a quick google image search...
looks like it is single stack size. Yea I would consider FF3 a micro RDS.
Since FF3 doesn't have the notch, I would ask them to leave the dovetail.
Welcome to RDS, it is as they as... game changer šŸ˜
Yup, it's a micro! It doesn't have a notch, and I haven't opened the box yet, but the ones I've seen pics of did include a vertical center stripe on the backside of the body, which is helpful. I'm getting very enthused for installation!

Back