Dremel bits rust when soaking in water problem

Nanotec-USA

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Hello everybody I hope you're doing fantastic! I ran into a situation I remember marine gun builder stating to soak the diamond bits and water prior to use. I ran into an issue of the shanks beginning to rust. Has anyone else run into that problem. These are Dremel parts by the way in the picture.

20230111_193617.jpg
20230111_190744.jpg
The last two pictures just sharing which bits I used, the round one for the RSA channel the other one for the top rails. In addition instead of water I saturated the bits with the same cooking oil that I used for drilling the holes it left a semi-gloss finish.
20230111_183320.jpg

The best rust remover might be evapo rust. Non taxic, safe to handle, reusable. I used it to remove rust on surplus ammo can and this stuff is blackmagic.

Amazon product ASIN B00GRSOJSS
View: https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-Water-based-Non-Toxic-Biodegradable/dp/B00GRSOJSS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, . I am more interested in the diamond bit keeping cool and also cut smooth. Example, our concrete cutting saw on the Collapse Unit had a diamond chain which required constant water to keep the chain cool, smoother cut and diamond material to last longer. Not so concerned with a shine, I do like good looking tools but know will get scuffed during use.

Last edited:
Just completely dry it off after use hair dryer. I would just dip the tip in the lube as you are working nothing longer or it may rust.
Maybe a light oil after WD40 would be a good idea. I would give WD40 a try as lube .

I use kerosene or WD-40 and I don't soak bits; I just dip my finger into lube, then pat my frame.
Using an oil base lube helps keeps your frame from drying out.
Water is not a lube and doesn't soak into plastic whereas oil base lube does. When I use my diamond burrs or sanding disks, I don't like to use lube because it's hard to see how much cutting they cut when wet.
The only time I use lubricant is when I am cleaning up some sanding or cuts made in the frame. Then I go over everything with a plastic polish and a buffing wheel. This is what I do but by no means is this the only way to do it. Really this type of work is about how comfortable you feel it the process for building. I used to soak bits but stopped because of the fact that they rust up.

Correction made Michele sorry about that. I actually had decent results using the same cooking oil I use when drilling the holes. Thank you for the input everyone.

The best rust remover might be evapo rust. Non taxic, safe to handle, reusable. I used it to remove rust on surplus ammo can and this stuff is blackmagic.

Amazon product ASIN B00GRSOJSS
View: https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-Water-based-Non-Toxic-Biodegradable/dp/B00GRSOJSS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
Thanks for the lead Mooner. Fortunately the shanks only had easily wiped off surface rust.

I've been using mineral oil (same as I use for drilling the pin holes) for lubrication while using rubber polishing points. Seems to work well. I don't feel water works as well.

I use some tap-magic I have left over form my tooling days for drilling but really any oil-based lubricant works great for hole drilling.

I never understood why MGB used water. Wet sanding works great with kerosene or WD-40, follow up with a plastic polish and you will get the frame color to come back to its original color.

After I get finished with all the frame mods, I do wash them in dish soap water and rinsing.

Back