EDC rotation??Mostly just a curiosity??

Stephen G

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
So Im reading alot of post else where about how these dudes/ets have a rotation they run through. And Im wondering HOW IN THE HELL you can safely, comfortably and competently go from a Glock, to Browning HP to a Makorov to a 1911 then to a Derringer??
Now I do carry a variety of thangs at times. Hell Ive even been known to walk to mailbox with my Judge in a shoulder holster while in my boxers.
But COME ON, if you want to brag about owning a dozen pistols ( snicker ) just post a picture.
Ive always had a 1911, since birth- my Daddy said so. I also carry " A" revolver. In an absolute pinch I have a DA 38. Although I have been looking at the 22mag American Arms mostly because my shorts keep falling down with the heavier pistols in my pocket.
Ive carried these for so long there is NO reaction. Its purely institutional. I do thumb the cylinder release out of habitat on the revolver at draw out of habitat.
I carried a Glock19 Gen4 and 5 for a few years and I thumbed it too. Never got the hang of the way the trigger felt and always try to scrap the mag out- they havent always been drop free. I carried a Ruger P90 DC also. Department required a saftey. I thumbed it too, even after 6000rds I did it.
It takes 3000 repetitions to commit a action to reflex memory. I have put that time in on a dozen firearms a dozen times over. Still when shine turns to shit my body only knows 1 language.

Why would any1 actually swap around a dozen platforms, especially an everyday carry???
I LOVEEEEEEE my P80, I TRUST my P80. I will probably never carry it. And theres probably a glock somewhere in the car, hopefully in the tire well and not chambered ( lol).

Im not talking about going to a BBQ, cuz I most surely did wear my P80 to several to show it off. But thats a rarity, if Im hunting or fishing I have "A" snub nose 357 just for hunting and because I have been pissed on by a mountain lion (not a joke) and been bulldawged by a black bear while sleeping in my hunting blind that was being chased by a rogue coon dog( also a true story) There is NO training for that, so I carry something that I can pull the trigger on until it stops making noise. And it appears that when confronted with that situation, I throw my rifle at them. Go figure.
If Im out in public- I prefer the woods JS- I carry 1 pistol, always.
God forbid something should happen. I dont want to HAVE TO to think. I want fluidity, natural motion. No -ZERO- thought, just what is engrained in my memory. For me, thats why and what you train for.
I dont even like swapping between 1911s. Ive had to put the same thumb safety on a couple to stop the hesitation due to things not feeling right. But still I carry the same 1 for over 20yrs. 5" Springfield Loaded I worked myself for IDPSA.

As a side note, I feel the same about my rifle too. I have been seen attempting to remove a AR mag like its a FAL. I have burnt the barrel out of couple Bushmasters, still I screw up rom time to time.
What are your thoughts on swapping around different platforms? Its not the type, its the different platform on a daily basis.

So Im reading alot of post else where about how these dudes/ets have a rotation they run through. And Im wondering HOW IN THE HELL you can safely, comfortably and competently go from a Glock, to Browning HP to a Makorov to a 1911 then to a Derringer??
Now I do carry a variety of thangs at times. Hell Ive even been known to walk to mailbox with my Judge in a shoulder holster while in my boxers.
But COME ON, if you want to brag about owning a dozen pistols ( snicker ) just post a picture.
Ive always had a 1911, since birth- my Daddy said so. I also carry " A" revolver. In an absolute pinch I have a DA 38. Although I have been looking at the 22mag American Arms mostly because my shorts keep falling down with the heavier pistols in my pocket.
Ive carried these for so long there is NO reaction. Its purely institutional. I do thumb the cylinder release out of habitat on the revolver at draw out of habitat.
I carried a Glock19 Gen4 and 5 for a few years and I thumbed it too. Never got the hang of the way the trigger felt and always try to scrap the mag out- they havent always been drop free. I carried a Ruger P90 DC also. Department required a saftey. I thumbed it too, even after 6000rds I did it.
It takes 3000 repetitions to commit a action to reflex memory. I have put that time in on a dozen firearms a dozen times over. Still when shine turns to shit my body only knows 1 language.

Why would any1 actually swap around a dozen platforms, especially an everyday carry???
I LOVEEEEEEE my P80, I TRUST my P80. I will probably never carry it. And theres probably a glock somewhere in the car, hopefully in the tire well and not chambered ( lol).

Im not talking about going to a BBQ, cuz I most surely did wear my P80 to several to show it off. But thats a rarity, if Im hunting or fishing I have "A" snub nose 357 just for hunting and because I have been pissed on by a mountain lion (not a joke) and been bulldawged by a black bear while sleeping in my hunting blind that was being chased by a rogue coon dog( also a true story) There is NO training for that, so I carry something that I can pull the trigger on until it stops making noise. And it appears that when confronted with that situation, I throw my rifle at them. Go figure.
If Im out in public- I prefer the woods JS- I carry 1 pistol, always.
God forbid something should happen. I dont want to HAVE TO to think. I want fluidity, natural motion. No -ZERO- thought, just what is engrained in my memory. For me, thats why and what you train for.
I dont even like swapping between 1911s. Ive had to put the same thumb safety on a couple to stop the hesitation due to things not feeling right. But still I carry the same 1 for over 20yrs. 5" Springfield Loaded I worked myself for IDPSA.

As a side note, I feel the same about my rifle too. I have been seen attempting to remove a AR mag like its a FAL. I have burnt the barrel out of couple Bushmasters, still I screw up rom time to time.
What are your thoughts on swapping around different platforms? Its not the type, its the different platform on a daily basis.
I absolutely hear what you are saying, and certainly, every point you have made is valid. I do think though that there are valid points on the other side as well. Let's look at cars for instance...
My... [Cough, cough] ...Someone I know well who may/may not appreciate the nod here... is a VERY good driver -can handle the wheel and out-pace and out-turn MANY faster or better-handling cars like it is second-nature. However, put them behind the wheel of a different car, things change, ALOT. The uncertainty, the lack of familiar feed-back, it changes your confidence, it changes your 'understanding' of the feedback the machine is giving you. Me, I am decent, and I can climb behind the controls of anything I own -not a few- and just about anything else I've had the opportunity to drive -not by far everything out there- and I am still decent in any of them, with minimal familiarization. The difference is perhaps adaptability, but also perhaps that fine-grained finesse that only comes with true familiarity. I am a car-whore, I know it, and haven't found a support-group yet.;) I am not committed to a 100% fusing of my nerves with any particular machine, but have the adaptability to be competent at operating many others. Some people go a different route, and not because they have limitations either.

There is more than one way to get to the end-goal, and for you I am guessing that you went with that 'fused' sense -you know every grain and knurl on your sidearm. For others though, including me, swapping out that particular part requires a different 'fluidity' in reading the feedbacks, in knowing the grips, in 'feeling' the aim-points and judging impact, knowing what to expect when any given control is operated (because, as you alluded to, it isn't just about hitting the ring, but also how to get another mag in play, and many other things). Perhaps less instinctive, perhaps more intuitive, I don't know, but yes there are definitely more than one path that is valid here.
For me personally, I've had three EDCs over the years, (in no particular order) from a Beretta 9mm, to a Gen 2 Glock 19 and my S&W 10-series. Could I be better at any of the ones I've used, by focusing exclusively on that one? Goodness, I sure HOPE so!:ROFLMAO: But I think that devoting all of my muscle-memory to just one would have actually detracted from my ability to use anything else as well as I can -perhaps that limitation is mine. [Shrug] Using different guns for different situations seems more natural to me, if the availability is there.

Another consideration is how good does someone intend to be? I am NOT that good. I can hit my target. I can't make a smiley-face on the paper at 30 yards. I can run and shoot in the right direction, and I can jam another mag in smoothly enough to suit my needs, or the needs I perceive at least. I don't devote that much of my life to it, but I am satisfied with where I am at. I am competent. Trying for a fine-tuned honing like you have with your EDC would be lost on me, I think. So, I keep myself more 'dynamic', and have a versatility I am comfortable with too. I for one think I am more likely to encounter a need for high-end driving skills to not be killed than I need top-level shooting skills to survive (for now at least), so I see the compromises there too. I still split my time out behind the wheel of every machine I can get my hands on. Even serious things can be fun.;)

I look it like this: You probably accumulate a few firearms over the years. If you are a old guy, you might accumulate a lot of them. Each one has good and bad points, which you figure out by use. What was a good carry pistol two decades ago doesn't quite fit the bill now.

While I have had a number of carry pistols over the years, some are just hanger queens now (hiding on the safe and occasionally brought out to play.) Others end up as trade fodder. But the ones that are left do get carried based on the last one I did any actual training time with.

I don't think of it as a "rotation" per se, but the one I'm most proficient in is the one that gets carried. I'm in that in-between stage right now. A recently acquired pistol that feels really comfortable, but I don't have the hours of use to bet my life on it. So, the old one gets carried until the new one supplants it in use.

Edit: Muscle memory still works too.... My first carry gun from 30 years ago, a Browning Hi-Power, still feels comfortable in the hand and points pretty well for me. My hands still remember where everything is at. Thousands of rounds fired do that to you. Would I carry one again? Probably not, but in a pinch I might.

Last edited:
If you are a old guy, you might accumulate a lot of them.
Who you callin' old!?? LOL!

What was a good carry pistol two decades ago doesn't quite fit the bill now.
Yep. I've retired my G27. I've been carrying my G19 as I transition to my PFC9.
I also carry a S&W 642 with certain attire.

Who you callin' old!?? LOL!
Ummm... Me ;)

For me, it is going between my current Glock 33 and my new P320C (with a Wilson grip module.) The new one feels good... like really really good. But I don't have the confidence with it that only comes with time and round count. Also mix in time training with a SIRT pistol to try to teach this old dog a few new tricks.

I do rotate a bit, but mostly my rotation is between various 9mm Glock. Other than my 43X which is the slimmest, I can easily move between my 26, 19 and 17. I slip in a Sig P320 every now and again, but it's mostly a target / range pistol. Key is to make sure you know the controls on each carry gun really well. Otherwise, the muscle memory will be wrong and bad things could happen.

Back