Poll Extended mags? Yes or no?

Do you own / use extended magazines?

• Yes, as a matter of routine. Mo' rounds, mo' better!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes. I have them stashed as my SHTF defensive strategy.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes. But they are just my "fun sticks" for the range.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, but I lost all of them in a tragic boating accident.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No. They're stupid and are just "gangsta" flexing.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
On a certain Reddit group, the preponderance of P80 builds shown OFTEN have extended mags in the gun for the photo. Most often and almost routinely you see them pictured with a subcompact like this. A regular flush-mounted mag is almost never shown.
1697400185201.png

I understand that extended mags have their place... as a defensive reserve stuffed into a glove box, for example. Or just for some range fun. Or in a defensive / recreational PCC... like this one of mine:
Kel-Tec-SUB2000.jpg

And even before I had that Kel-Tec Sub2K.... I got these on sale, "just because."
Glock-extended-mags.jpg

And for fun, I have used a 33-rd mag in my Glock 19 just to see how it works maybe a couple of times. It definitely throws off the balance of the pistol due to the weight.

What say ye?

Last edited:
I bought a couple of 33 rounders for use with my AR9. Even at that, I have tended to use G19/G17 mags in it. Otherwise, I stick to the mags meant for the gun. If I want 15 rounds I use a G19, not a G26, etc.

I use standard capacity mags in my carry builds but do have a few KCI 33 round Glock clone mags that are for use in my AR-9 pistol build and they work perfectly. They also have a metal liner and feed lips like Glock OEM mags. I keep one loaded in the pistol for home defense and a couple of spares within easy reach.

My JHP handloads for that pistol reach ~1313 FPS with the 10.5" barrel and should do substantial damage to any flesh and bone target.

I have installed pinky extensions on the mags for my G-26 clone build, but without any added capacity.

extended?
If it is manufactured it is standard, extended is something done post manufacturing.
Who's customizing magazines, like stretching a car to make it a limo?
Parts changing is hardly customizing :)

extended?
If it is manufactured it is standard, extended is something done post manufacturing.
Who's customizing magazines, like stretching a car to make it a limo?
Parts changing is hardly customizing :)
Yes.... "extended" in the sense that it extends beyond the grip of a pistol.... as in not flush with the grip. Like the photo in the OP. A standard G17 mag in a G26, for example.

Not to be confused with the politically-motivated farce, "high capacity."

Last edited:
Regular cap in the gun for carry, hi-cap as back-up. Hi-cap at matches.

I could load a case of ammo in my Glock and/or AR mags and still have room for more. :)

Disco and Pet Rocks were pretty stupid looking back on them. But, both made people happy in the moment.

Kids these days walk around with their pants half way down their ass. It doesn't surprise they think crap hanging out the bottom of their gun is cool. When, not if, it snags on their shirt when they really need their weapon, things will change.

It is useful to know what will work in your pistol and what won't. So there is that. I'll take a mag sticking out over no mag at all any day.

Last edited:
I donā€™t use extended mags in handguns.
Then again I have a handful of carry guns that I alternate based on weather, destination and purpose ā€˜profileā€™.
My evac load is a full size with 17+1 with two 15 round extra for 48 total.
Iā€™ve only practice carried that around the house and just for fitting driving my wife to work at 5am.
For realz evac that would be accompanied by a either a .308 with 120 total or an AK with 180 total unless I also bring the drum which brings that up to 255. Thatā€™s a fair gun battle right there.

Last edited:
Handguns: You know, while we do have some Glock 19 mags with the xgrip extension for a G26; have a few 33 rounders onhand, and even the Echelon ships with an extended mag; I much prefer a flush, std-issue magā€¦the only exception being the g26 with a 2-round mag extension that ostensibly gives you a place for your pinky without making the butt ā€œprintableā€ under clothing (strike industries EMP+2).

Aside from that, the extra capacity mags I usually relegate to plinking duty.

Last edited:
Back