FDE vs ODG Gangs

Mooner

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I used to like FDE but now I'm leaning more toward ODG. :sneaky:
Went with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Epoxy Based Firearms Finish (FDE, ODG)
I think this is cheaper and easier than Cerakote, Gunkote, and Anodizing.
20221001_125338.jpg

20221001_125410.jpg

Baking is not required but will cure a lot faster.
I got this for $50 w/ free shipping from Wayfair.com - Stainless Steel Toaster Oven by Courant.
Perfect size for frame or AR receivers or small hand guards.
20220927_170244.jpg

PSA AR22 in FDE. For handguard and upper received, you don't need to take off anodizing, just dull enough that paint would stick.
20220929_174935.jpg

I think I need FDE grip now~
20221001_125207.jpg

A stranger from Reddit is helping me install Magpul SL hand guard for free of charge, only paid for shipping both way šŸ˜
Should be arriving next week PSA 16" ODG mid-length with Magpul SL handguard installed.
123_1.jpeg

Update:
PSA Freedom upper arrived and I'm definitely in ODG gangs now :love:

20221007_165007.jpg

20221007_165042.jpg

Helpful links:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlqir8Bpd2A&t=389s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3jjh9iUJs

Last edited:
Sounds like you got the paint thing figured out Mooner (y)
I am a big fan of OD green with a black tiger camo pattern.
I would stipple the grip leaving it black. Just my thoughts.

Nowadays I lean toward ODG, although I do have some guns in FDE. FDE seems to be a difficult color to match between anodizing, injection molding, and Cerakote. Even Geissele warns on their website not to expect their FDE uppers and lowers to match.

Back before Mag-Pul bailed on Colorado, they had a color, now discontinued, I really liked. Forest Green was lighter than OD. I built a couple of AR's using Forest Green furniture before it was dropped by Mag-Pul.

1664717914123.jpeg

View attachment 6377

View attachment 6376

I got this for $50 w/ free shipping from Wayfair.com - Stainless Steel Toaster Oven by Courant.
View attachment 6378

PSA AR22 in FDE. For handguard and upper received, you don't need to take off anodizing, just dull enough that paint would stick.
View attachment 6384

View attachment 6379

A stranger from Reddit is helping me install Magpul SL hand guard for free of charge, only paid for shipping both way šŸ˜
Should be arriving next week PSA 16" ODG mid-length with Magpul SL handguard installed.
View attachment 6386

Helpful links:

I'd like to put together a "Stormtrooper White" frame & slide and pair it with black pins, slide release, etc. This would be an interesting DIY project and pay for itself if I ended up coating more than one firearm. Looks like you need to keep resetting the timer to get the two hours in. Compared to a number of other toaster ovens, the one you have seems to have a fairly large interior! Do the P80 frames handle the 200 degree minimum ok?

Yes, 200* is Ok
A Caution
A discussion a while back on MGB forum it was determined by contacting Polymer 80 that the max temperature to heat the frame without doing any damage is 225 degrees F. And when using anything hotter than a hair dryer, you really do need a temp gauge so that you do not exceed 225 degrees.

Looks like you need to keep resetting the timer to get the two hours in. Compared to a number of other toaster ovens, the one you have seems to have a fairly large interior!
Only has 30min max, which wasn't issue for me. I picked this because it was bigger interior. Easily fit 2x AR receiver or P80 frames.

I use KG GunKote paint, they have a 180 additive for curing paint at 180 degrees, but I cure at 200-225 for the final coat, I think Cerakote has the same thing that works great for polymer frames and AR grips.

Curing at these lower temps helps to keep from warping. One precaution I take is hanging my frame upside down just in case, but I have never had any warps in thirteen frames painted so far.

I have a small toaster oven likr that. I use it for curing powder paint on fishing jigs and I too have to reset the timer at least twice. Sometimes you have to make do with what you got.

I have rattled a few ARs in my day. Some came out great others were... resprayed. Although I like trying different colours. I am leaning more towards ODG than FDE. Seems FDE is over done these days. I will say that it might make for a nice backdrop or base colour too. thanks for sharing too.

PSA 16" Freedom upper with SL handguard arrived and I'm definitely in ODG gang now :love:

PA had these bags on sale. The ODG backpack was $20 and ODG rifle bag was $30

20221007_165007.jpg
20221007_165042.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 6377

View attachment 6376

View attachment 6378

View attachment 6384

View attachment 6379

View attachment 6386

Update:
PSA Freedom upper arrived and I'm definitely in ODG gangs now :love:

View attachment 6466

View attachment 6468

Helpful links:

Im all about that FDE goodness.

Attachments

• Emily 2.JPEG
    Emily 2.JPEG
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
  • Adia Rose.jpg
    Adia Rose.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Polymer 80 Glock 17 build 1 and 2c.jpeg
    Polymer 80 Glock 17 build 1 and 2c.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
  • P320 Custom 4.JPEG
    P320 Custom 4.JPEG
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
I'd like to put together a "Stormtrooper White" frame & slide and pair it with black pins, slide release, etc. This would be an interesting DIY project and pay for itself if I ended up coating more than one firearm. Looks like you need to keep resetting the timer to get the two hours in. Compared to a number of other toaster ovens, the one you have seems to have a fairly large interior! Do the P80 frames handle the 200 degree minimum ok?
180 degrees on wood or Polymer is actually recommended for Cerakote, I haven't used the Alumahyde brand before. I usually prefer Duracoat for plastics/polyemrs, but HAVE used Cerakote in rare conditions. From Cerakote's site:
1667174125071.png

Brian, something a little like this?
G48s G&D 2b.jpg

Back