First Freedom Wolf

I should add I didn't notice anything wrong with the LW design. Just wish it came in "men's" sizes. If you wear XXXL gloves it most likely isn't going to be the frame for you.

Rick

Last edited:
I should add I didn't notice anything wrong with the LW design. Just wish it came in "men's" sizes. If you wear XXXL gloves it most likely isn't going to be the frame for you.

Rick
I probably will not build any more LW but the one thing I do like is all the plastic on these for doing mods. The trigger guard has lots of plastic, on one build I removed stock on the outside of the trigger guard but if you need more room on the inside of the trigger guard you can remove stock from the inside of the trigger guard.

Here is the next step in the birth of wolf build #1
IMG_2323.JPG

I covered up the rest of the frame so not to get paint over spray form getting into areas that will get a different color. I use just a plain painter's tape for this, it will be removed before curing in the oven. I plan on doing a light brushing on the slide to highlight the milling of this slide. It is just a great milling job that needs to be Showen off and not just covered up with paint, so the first coat will be the same as the wolf, dull brass.
IMG_2330.JPG

All painted with the first coat and cured for two hours in the oven.
IMG_2331.JPG

Here we are ready for the second coat which will be a dark flat black for the HD borders as well as the centers of the wolf hide. I think by curing the first coat (dull brass) it will be hardened and putting the black over it and letting the black just dry in the oven for about 30 minutes, I can brush the tops of the diamond to expose the dull brass, leaving the black in the center.
Well, that is my plan.
IMG_2332.JPG

SO!! this is where I'm at.
First off, my plan didn't work out as first planed but never fear I had a backup plan thanks to my in-house expert, my better half.
What happened with my plan to brush the soft uncured black exposing the dull brass under didn't work. Trying to expose the dull brass it took all paint off. Bummer, I know!!
After consulting in-house experts, I came up with way I should have gone with in the beginning.
I put just a little bit of paint in a small sallow bowel, then with a felt wheel I dipped into paint and slightly roll over the tops of the diamond stippling. Then sprayed a flat clear coat and cured for two hours.

So next will be doing detail work on the wolf and cleaning up the rest of the grip getting ready of stippling.
You can see a number of places that need to be cleaned up around the wolf before stippling (1) is paint that has to be removed. You do not want to stipple over paint, it turns into a nasty mess.
(2&3) are places that do not match up with the stencil that has been painted on in gold. I use an assortment of diamond burrs for this clean-up process, taking out extra plastic around the wolf head and any other clean up around the body until the shape of the stencil starts to take shape.

IMG_2333.JPG

You can see how I cleaned-up around the wolf and ready for stippling now.
IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

I have the stippling finished now and all I have to do is paint the last coat, Black Chrome. I used this color the first time on the Black Widow build and just fell in love with this color. BUT I have to mask off the grip and decide on the bling and what color to paint them.

The progress continues
IMG_2323.JPG

I covered up the rest of the frame so not to get paint over spray form getting into areas that will get a different color. I use just a plain painter's tape for this, it will be removed before curing in the oven. I plan on doing a light brushing on the slide to highlight the milling of this slide. It is just a great milling job that needs to be Showen off and not just covered up with paint, so the first coat will be the same as the wolf, dull brass.
IMG_2330.JPG

All painted with the first coat and cured for two hours in the oven.
IMG_2331.JPG

Here we are ready for the second coat which will be a dark flat black for the HD borders as well as the centers of the wolf hide. I think by curing the first coat (dull brass) it will be hardened and putting the black over it and letting the black just dry in the oven for about 30 minutes, I can brush the tops of the diamond to expose the dull brass, leaving the black in the center.
Well, that is my plan.
IMG_2332.JPG

SO!! this is where I'm at.
First off, my plan didn't work out as first planed but never fear I had a backup plan thanks to my in-house expert.
What happened with my plan to brush the soft uncured black exposing the dull brass under didn't work. Trying to expose the dull brass it took all paint off. Bummer, I know!!
After consulting in-house experts, I came up with way I should have gone within the beginning.
I put just a little bit of paint in a small sallow bowel, then with a felt wheel I dipped into paint and slightly roll over the tops of the diamond stippling. Then sprayed a flat clear coat and cured for two hours.

So next will be doing detail work on the wolf and cleaning up the rest of the grip getting ready of stippling. I am not sure at this point if I will go ahead and stipple or wait till, I finish all the rest of paint.

You can see a number of places that need to be cleaned up around the wolf before stippling (1) is paint that has to be removed. You do not want to stipple over paint, it turns into a nasty mess.
(2&3) are places that do not match up with the stencil that has been painted on in gold. I use an assortment of diamond burrs for this clean-up process, taking out extra plastic around the wolf head and any other clean up around the body until the shape of the stencil starts to take shape.
IMG_2333.JPG

You can see how I cleaned-up around the wolf and ready for stippling now.
IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

I have the stippling finished now and all I have to do is paint the last coat, Black Chrome. I used this color the first time on the Black Widow build and just fell in love with this color. BUT I have to mask off the grip and decide on the bling and what color to paint them.

Here is where I'm at now in the painting stage. The frame has turned out great, just as I wanted.
IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

I have to say, this frame with all the mods and stippling turned out great the problem came in on the slide.
Frist attempt at painting came out good but when I when to brush it to expose the gold under coat, it just rolled paint off. I am not sure why this happened, but my guess is this paint (black chrome) has flakes add that keeps it from brushing smooth even strokes and more like taring paint. Just my guess.

So here is the next step, what to do??

IMG_2343.JPG

I still think I need to add some color to the barrel end of this build just for a little more contrast, but I am open to some input here.

What is your take on this ??
Does the barrel end need some gold paint, or do I need to leave it alone with no paint?

I think a bit more contrast would take this piece of art to the next level. I’m really loving this project it looks ultra classy. 😍
I think so too, the problem is i can't brush it like I have on builds in the past. I have tried twice and it just doesn't work with this paint.

I have an idea that might work,
I think I can use a sponge and lightly go over parts of the barrel end with gold or I can do what I did on the wolf, use a felt bob and lightly roll it over some of the edges on the barrel to highlight them.

I think the felt bob would give it more of a streak look whereas a sponge would look more like a dab here and there.
I think I need to do some test runs on something else first.

I got lucky in that when repainting the slide all I had to do was clean it up with a polishing wheel clean and paint but if I mess up this time I will have to sandblast paint off and start over.

I didn't say much about the HD boarder on the grip.
My first plan was to give them a gold color but then I thought it would be too much gold distracting from the wolf, Then I thought I would go with a flat black, but it just looked off, so I settled on the same black chrome as the frame color.

If I could start this build over, I would not use HD boarders.
I think when you do something like the wolf in the grip you don't need the extra mod but if you just do a stippling using an HD boarder would work better.

What are your thoughts on when to use HD boarders??

I love how the wolf came out too... awesome job~

IMG_2348.JPG

I thought about this for over a week and decided to go with a little gold on the barrel end just to balance out the gold on the Wolf in the grip.

Now that I'm finished, I need to set up a photo shoot and get some better pictures to show off my lates build, I hope by doing these, how I did it wright up, it helps push this style of one-of-a-kind PMF
I really enjoy building, I take my time and it takes three to four months of working a little at night, but it pays off in my onion.

View attachment 7556
I thought about this for over a week and decided to go with a little gold on the barrel end just to balance out the gold on the Wolf in the grip.

Now that I'm finished, I need to set up a photo shoot and get some better pictures to show off my lates build, I hope by doing these, how I did it wright up, it helps push this style of one-of-a-kind PMF
I really enjoy building, I take my time and it takes three to four months of working a little at night, but it pays off in my onion.
Very nice job.

Nice build
Isnt that from the "Black Panther" movie.

Back