Gen 2 "dogbone" slide lock spring!

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I had just RECENTLY learned (I don't remember where) these Gen 2 slide lock springs can break off inside the frame and should be replaced. And, then I put it out of my mind... been busy building P80s.

Then I saw this post today on a thread on the GlockTalk "Glock Collectors" sub-forum:

Early G19 with the "dog bone" slide lock L spring. Replace that with the newer full width one right away.

So, before I'd forget again, I checked my Gen 2 G19. Yup! Dogbone! Look at how skinny that thing is!

1659118827383.png

It's been there since I bought the gun brand new in 1996, now with some ~10k rounds through it.

When I took the slide lock out, I noticed it was installed BACKWARDS. Hmmmm... some years ago, I installed a Lasermax guiderod laser. The guiderod laser requires its own slide lock (as a switch). It later crapped out on me and I removed it. Apparently, I re-installed the original slide lock backwards (didn't know any better at the time). Nevertheless, it has functioned flawlessly ever since! Here's a pic of the slide lock and the resulting wear on the wrong side:
1659118854635.png

Should I install a new slide lock, too?

When I went back to the frame to retrieve the old spring, it was gone! Where did it go? Ah! Stuck to my magnetized punch! Ha!
1659118886394.png

1659118896865.png

Fortunately, I've been amassing a collection of OEM Glock parts to supply my P80 addiction. And, I've learned a thing or two about Glock parts and how they are assembled and work. Bing, bang, boom... new, more robust slide lock spring! I feel like I got lucky after all these years, not having the original snap off on me!
1659118932977.png

Decided to install a new slide lock, since I had one "in stock." :)

Man, what is up with all the black "schmutz" that coats OEM Glock parts? Cleaned that shit up before installing.

1659120105278.png

Like you, I never had a failure of my Gen 2 G19 'dogbone'. Honestly, the info that they were prone to failure somehow got around me until now, so considering my experience with it and the vast use you have put on yours, I would question if it is really a problem. Clearly, Glock 'updated' the design for a reason, but it seems to me that the 'dogbone' is actually harder to produce as it is more than just straight-cut strips of spring-steel bent to shape, so I would have assumed (yep, that bad word again) it was a cost-saving re-design. Also like you, mine was pulled (and bagged) in favor of the Lasermax IGR laser components, both the Slide Lock AND the Spring are swapped-out for the conversion. Mine is still running strong though, and as a home-defense option I still like the IGR laser -there if I want it, effectively NOT there if I don't -I am not a huge fan of external lasers on hand-guns, with a few exceptions. Mine is of the 'pulse' type, so acquisition is easy and extremely fast -I'm not hunting for the dot, but it isn't a substitute for training, it is just another tool. But I won't turn this into a pro/con laser debate, just saying there is a time and a place for them.

...And, mm, yeah, that Slide Lock needed replacing...:LOL:

Like you, I never had a failure of my Gen 2 G19 'dogbone'. Honestly, the info that they were prone to failure somehow got around me until now, so considering my experience with it and the vast use you have put on yours, I would question if it is really a problem. Clearly, Glock 'updated' the design for a reason, but it seems to me that the 'dogbone' is actually harder to produce as it is more than just straight-cut strips of spring-steel bent to shape, so I would have assumed (yep, that bad word again) it was a cost-saving re-design. Also like you, mine was pulled (and bagged) in favor of the Lasermax IGR laser components, both the Slide Lock AND the Spring are swapped-out for the conversion. Mine is still running strong though, and as a home-defense option I still like the IGR laser -there if I want it, effectively NOT there if I don't -I am not a huge fan of external lasers on hand-guns, with a few exceptions. Mine is of the 'pulse' type, so acquisition is easy and extremely fast -I'm not hunting for the dot, but it isn't a substitute for training, it is just another tool. But I won't turn this into a pro/con laser debate, just saying there is a time and a place for them.

...And, mm, yeah, that Slide Lock needed replacing...:LOL:

I think the guide-rod laser was a cool idea. I liked it much better than the rail-mounted laser. It quit working, and I sent it back to LaserMax (many years ago). Got it back... same problem. It's been in a box ever since.

I think the guide-rod laser was a cool idea. I liked it much better than the rail-mounted laser. It quit working, and I sent it back to LaserMax (many years ago). Got it back... same problem. It's been in a box ever since.
I've had very positive experiences working with them. Which doesn't mean much of anything outside of my experiences, of course.;) I think I have ~half dozen of their products, one had an issue, actually bought it used from a PD, and it got replaced under guarantee (not 'warranty'). Crosman (that is who owns Lasermax now) sent out new Wolff springs and IIRC a replacement battery-cover for super cheap, and I've had no other issues at all.

Did you install the Lasermax-specific Slide Lock/Switch Spring? (You can't go by the inventory shown on their website unfortunately, at least it wasn't accurate before and they flat-out told me to ignore it as they kept MOST parts in stock, so it is best to call them.)

You said your 'dogbone' Spring had been in there since new, so that is why I ask. What problems did you have with the laser, if you can recall?

Did you install the Lasermax-specific Slide Lock/Switch Spring? (You can't go by the inventory shown on their website unfortunately, at least it wasn't accurate before and they flat-out told me to ignore it as they kept MOST parts in stock, so it is best to call them.)

You said your 'dogbone' Spring had been in there since new, so that is why I ask. What problems did you have with the laser, if you can recall?

It's been years ago. I'm assuming I followed all the instructions, as I usually am a stickler for such things. :)

So, I'm assuming I put the dogbone back in when I removed the LaserMax unit.

If I recall, it would intermittently simply not work.... as in not come on or just turn off. But again... years ago. And, I gave up on it after they worked on it, and it came back with the same exact problem.

Back