Video Get ready to CRINGE! Yikes!

As a wise Greek once said, We don't rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.

Imagining scenarios is fine. But it’s all for naught if you don’t train for it. Mental masturbation as they say. One second of hesitation might cost you your life. Guns are a cool hobby. Gun fighting is not a hobby or a topic of interest.

An attacker with a knife 20 feet away can close that distance in two seconds.

Or imagine being elderly and untrained, suddenly accosted or you walk into a situation like a burglary or armed robbery. Here’s how it goes: Bang, you are dead.

Or imagine being elderly and untrained, suddenly accosted or you walk into a situation like a burglary or armed robbery. Here’s how it goes: Bang, you are dead.
So, is it better for that person to be armed or unarmed?

Put another way... What is the downside of being armed in that situation? If you are unskilled or unlucky, you're dead either way. So what is your opposition to the old fart being armed in that case? He hasn't DECREASED his odds by being armed, eh?

I suppose those 70 yr olds I mentioned should just accept their fate. Not.

FWIW, AARP Doesn't think the elderly should own weapons and is an anti-gun entity. Presumably to save them from themselves? Pfft. Keep that in mind when you're retirement age. I know I will.

Put another way... What is the downside of being armed in that situation? If you are unskilled or unlucky, you're dead either way. So what is your opposition to the old fart being armed in that case? He hasn't DECREASED his odds by being armed, eh?
Projecting. Go back and read what I wrote again.

Armed of course (I said that), but you are missing the point.

The old man engaged me excitedly about the techniques of defensive shooting. He was enthusiastic about it and making a study of it like a gunfight was a game or puzzle of some kind that he could devise a plan for. The salient point was he was trying to intellectualize it. That will get you killed. I have been shot at. If anybody thinks they have a game plan they are going to stick to without the benefit of formal training in real world defensive (or offensive) scenarios they are dangerously kidding themselves. Especially if they are the age of this man. Anybody in the 70s or 90s that believes they are physically capable of fighting anything needs to do a sanity check.

It's not just a training thing either. You really cant simulate a gunfight, but you do have to drill after you have been trained. Any sort of fighting is a perishable skill.

I'll say it again just for clarity. It is good for elderly people to have the means to defend themselves and know what to do. And that they train to whatever the limit of their physical abilities may be. In any case, it is advisable that they only draw a weapon when they have no other choice. Always retreat. If you are looking for a hobby at that age, I suggest shuffleboard or water aerobics.

Since I'm on a roll, I'd love to take someone like the subject for a day of paintball or airsoft. These aren't pastimes for me. But one, perhaps the only benefit of these games for pretend warriors is you get a dose of reality on how easy it is to get 'eliminated'. Also how physically strenuous it can be. Moving rapidly, finding cover, shooting and avoiding being shot.

View: https://youtu.be/bsve9wB_sEA

Last edited:

FWIW, AARP Doesn't think the elderly should own weapons and is an anti-gun entity. Presumably to save them from themselves? Pfft. Keep that in mind when you're retirement age. I know I will.
AARP is a marketing machine designed to take retiree's money. They have been sending me invitations and offers since I turned 50. I wont be joining at any age.

There have been some objective studies on aging and guns. And a few not so objective. Cognitive ability declines in stages over a long period of time. So at what point of diminished mental ability is a firearm a bad idea? Nobody can answer that.

I can speak from experience with my parents. Especially my mother. She started to show signs of memory and cognitive issues 6 years before being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Her neurologist told me that the form of dementia she had... the patient has no awareness of their decline. She was physically quite healthy. But over time lost her grip on reality. My mother had no interest in firearms. But what if she did?

In the last couple of years, she would make up crazy stories insisting they were real and even hallucinate. There was a few times when she was paranoid. For example, a guy talking to her thru the TV demanding money and men in black suits running around the neighborhood killing the neighbors.

Projecting. Go back and read what I wrote again.
Dude... what am I "projecting?" LOL! I know you know what that means, which is why I'm puzzled at that comment.

I have a VERY high reading comprehension. I've been tested! :)

Anybody in the 70s or 90s that believes they are physically capable of fighting anything needs to do a sanity check.
One of my dad's good friends decided to sell a gun privately. He was in his 70s (and with his share of health issues). He met with the prospective buyer, an "Amish yute," who asked to see the gun (a Desert Eagle). The yute handled the gun and then took off running. My dad's friend took off after him. Well... sorta. He tried.

The yute jumped into a waiting car a block away, and off they went... them and the gun never to be seen again.

My dad asked his friend, "What were you thinking?" He replied, "Well I ran track in high school." LOL!

He was lucky. Things could have gone much worse.

Dude... what am I "projecting?" LOL! I know you know what that means, which is why I'm puzzled at that comment.

I have a VERY high reading comprehension. I've been tested! :)
I think BLs point is along the lines of Mavericks line in Top Gun "You don't have time to think, if you think you're dead." and in context of this aging EE that he felt this guy would analyze a situation from all angles in engineer fashion prior to acting.
If you aren't going to use it, unarmed is better only because your dead body is likely giving up a weapon to the bad guy. I'm stating this from the perspective (hopefully I am not projecting!) that I think BLs indicates which is he felt this guy wouldn't use the firearm ever as he'd be stuck analyzing. Choosing not to draw/shoot because it isn't a safe shot is not what I mean by not using it.

AARP is a marketing machine designed to take retiree's money. They have been sending me invitations and offers since I turned 50. I wont be joining at any age
AARP will never get a penny from me. Look at AMAC. They are a conservative option to the AARP.

I think BLs point is along the lines of Mavericks line in Top Gun "You don't have time to think, if you think you're dead." and in context of this aging EE that he felt this guy would analyze a situation from all angles in engineer fashion prior to acting.

If you aren't going to use it, unarmed is better only because your dead body is likely giving up a weapon to the bad guy. I'm stating this from the perspective (hopefully I am not projecting!) that I think BLs indicates which is he felt this guy wouldn't use the firearm ever as he'd be stuck analyzing. Choosing not to draw/shoot because it isn't a safe shot is not what I mean by not using it.

AARP will never get a penny from me. Look at AMAC. They are a conservative option to the AARP.
You unpacked it perfectly.

One of my dad's good friends decided to sell a gun privately. He was in his 70s (and with his share of health issues). He met with the prospective buyer, an "Amish yute," who asked to see the gun (a Desert Eagle). The yute handled the gun and then took off running. My dad's friend took off after him. Well... sorta. He tried.

The yute jumped into a waiting car a block away, and off they went... them and the gun never to be seen again.

My dad asked his friend, "What were you thinking?" He replied, "Well I ran track in high school." LOL!

He was lucky. Things could have gone much worse.
Indeed. I heard a similar story about a private gun sale. In a parking lot. The seller hands the guy the gun, he opens the door and bolts. I dont know about anybody else, but I'm not blindly running after anybody. His buddy in a getaway car may be armed and you walk right into it.

So, if someone analyzes (mentally rehearses) scenarios beforehand, the interpretation is that he'll be stuck in an OODA loop in an actual situation??? That's a HUGE stretch.

If you aren't going to use it, unarmed is better only because your dead body is likely giving up a weapon to the bad guy.
If I'm dead, I don't give a fuck what happens after that. Really. I don't.

I think BLs indicates which is he felt this guy wouldn't use the firearm ever as he'd be stuck analyzing.
See my first comment above. It's a big ASSUMPTION. I have mentally rehearsed MANY scenarios. Hell, most gun forums (like this one) even have an entire section dedicated to it.

Defensive Scenarios, Training, and Tactics

Choosing not to draw/shoot because it isn't a safe shot is not what I mean by not using it.
Wait... so you're "analyzing" in an actual scenario? 🤪

I think it's quite prudent for anyone who owns a gun for self-defense (regardless of age) to prepare MENTALLY beforehand and "rehearse." That is not to the exclusion of actual physical training and practice of course. But to categorically DISMISS mental rehearsals and a defensive mindset outright is QUITE curious.

I submit the old fart just wanted to have a discussion with someone he perceived as like-minded. Perhaps he hoped to glean some useful information, much as we do here online every day.

It's worth adding that the VAST majority of SUCCESSFUL DGUs are executed by what we (here) would describe as woefully untrained citizens. The reality is that most will never get real training, and yet they are successful in defending themselves MILLIONS of times per year in the U.S.

Last edited:
Indeed. I heard a similar story about a private gun sale. In a parking lot. The seller hands the guy the gun, he opens the door and bolts. I dont know about anybody else, but I'm not blindly running after anybody. His buddy in a getaway car may be armed and you walk right into it.
Exactly. Which is why my dad (same age) said, "What were you thinking?!??"

Also... why I'll probably never sell a gun. They just keep piling up! LOL! Even guns I don't like.

Last edited:
Wait... so you're "analyzing" in an actual scenario?
I was trying to articulate what I thought BLs point was, not projecting my own perspective. To me there does need to be some thought going into what's happening albeit likely quick thought.

You may be dead on that all that guy wanted to do was shoot the bull. Who knows.

I was trying to articulate what I thought BLs point was, not projecting my own perspective. To me there does need to be some thought going into what's happening albeit likely quick thought.

You may be dead on that all that guy wanted to do was shoot the bull. Who knows.
I hear ya. If you mentally rehearse scenarios enough, the "OODA" loop should certainly proceed more quickly in a real scenario. Physical AND mental training and practice are good.

BL- I’m sorry to hear about your mom. That’s exactly what we’re dealing with with my MIL right now…she has dementia AND stage 4 Alzheimer’s. So I know of what you speak, firsthand. All firearms are secured and out of her reach. Physically she’s strong as an ox. Mentally she’s like a 3 yr old right now and declining. Her mental aperture has narrowed considerably.

As far as the real-life, dire gunplay situations….much should be instinct, and adaptation to any scenario. These events aren’t carved in stone or in a lab controlled environment. Just like war, there are moves and countermoves. And one of the best tactics is avoidance if possible. Pick and choose your battles. Sometimes they are unavoidable. But don’t go trolling for them. And the unavoidable ones, this is why I carry.

If something thinks they can just think a good self defense as a static format… the Mavericks example is a great one.

That's why I'll never be an AARP member and instead endorse joining AMAC, which is more conservative in their approach to seniors!

Back