Got my printer setup

Grizzly907LA

Reaction score
I finally setup my Ender V5 S-1. It was a pretty straight forward installation. The only I have is the fact that the spring and nut came off of the Z axis. I screw it back on, but it keep popping out as the bed rose up. It so far hasn't effected my prints...only time will tell. Here are a few things I printed last night. Please pardon the mess!
20230318_120912_HDR[1].jpg

đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź Great job sir ! Your 1st prints look very nice.
Here’s a link with some cool stuff you may want to print for your machine.

Nice! I donated my first-gen Makerbot to a maker lab. Now I'm shopping around for a new printer.

I want a heated bed, auto leveling and an extruder that can handle higher temps. Creality is of course on the short list. I'm leaning toward Prusa. More expensive - but all the features I want.

Any thoughts on resin vs. PLA or ABS? My gut is telling me Nylon is the way to go for a frame. You need a hot extruder for that but I think it may be worth it.

Nice! I donated my first-gen Makerbot to a maker lab. Now I'm shopping around for a new printer.

I want a heated bed, auto leveling and an extruder that can handle higher temps. Creality is of course on the short list. I'm leaning toward Prusa. More expensive - but all the features I want.

Any thoughts on resin vs. PLA or ABS? My gut is telling me Nylon is the way to go for a frame. You need a hot extruder for that but I think it may be worth it.

I'm also in the market for a printer and have pretty much decided on a Prusa machine based on my association with a local business that uses them exclusively to make short run products.

With no experience ... I feel like a carbon-fiber polycarbonate (PC) would be the best fiber for frames. Requires a hot extruder, hot bed and hardened steel extruder tips (Prusa !). PC is very impact resistant and creates high(er) strength parts especially with carbon-fiber addition. Also very stable at higher temperatures (use temps).

My thoughts are that PLA is marginal for frames, especially at somewhat higher use temps, but fine for many other parts. Obviously PLA has been used for this, but my tendency is to over-build ;) everything I create.

Last edited:
Griz, you have an excellent start there and are several steps ahead of me on getting into 3D printing. I tend to overthink things somewhat. Keep us updated as you progress. I'd love to hear what issues you have and the solutions you develop to correct them. Amazing what you can learn from that process (y)

I'm building myself up to that. I know you need an enclosure, and a dehydrator for carbon and nylon.

I'd like to figure how to secure that nut and spring to the z-axis arm. I have that site you linked, bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for posting it.
đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź Great job sir ! Your 1st prints look very nice.
Here’s a link with some cool stuff you may want to print for your machine.

Great to see you up and running! The anti backlash spring and nut at the bottom of the Z axis lead screw may or may not have any real effect on your printer. That being said here is a video to show how to reinstall so that it doesn't come apart again. 6:15 is where you want to watch as to the proper way to reinstall.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpc1bTsSpRA&ab_channel=BV3D%3ABryanVines

I finally setup my Ender V5 S-1. It was a pretty straight forward installation. The only I have is the fact that the spring and nut came off of the Z axis. I screw it back on, but it keep popping out as the bed rose up. It so far hasn't effected my prints...only time will tell. Here are a few things I printed last night. Please pardon the mess!View attachment 10087
Awesome! I really like the look of creality’s S1 series. Keep us posted as you get it dialed in. I am curious about the speed of creality’s core xy printers. I started out on the ender3 v2 and then a prusa i3mk3s+. Recently got my first core xy printer and I love it! It took a min to get used to it but I really do like.

Back