GST-9 grip upgrade

One Ping Only

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
We cut our teeth on a few GST-9 builds before moving over to P80 faire...if any of you are from MGB, you may or may not recall that I made some custom grip decals from scratch using Talon Grip blank material, as at the time were no precut options for the GST-9 (apparently there are now). Those decals definitely improved the GST-9's grip IMO....but while I find the grip more intrinsically ergonomic than our P80 (PF940C) G19 counterpart- IMO the P80 is a bit too squared, yet the GST-9's grip is a tad smallish in spite of being more comfortable. I'd installed a Hogue Handall grip for Glock 19's on the P80, and while it fit and gave better comfort, I found it a bit too much for that frame, removed it carefully, installing a Talon Grip (for G19) decal instead. Much better....SO...

I've had the Hogue grip just sitting around and I thought to myself, "self, I bet that Hogue Handall would work just fine on the GST-9". After some curious and non-scientific examining of the grip area and the Hogue, I went for it today, and installed it on a GST-9 frame. Oh my this feels real good. Dare I say near-perfect on the GST-9. Nice palm-swell, nice snug fit and no puckers or looseness. I submit to you exhibits A and B:

IMG_7145.jpeg
IMG_7146.jpeg

I wasn't sure we'd like it as much as the Hogue Handall grips for G26 on our SC builds (imo they are ESSENTIAL and perfect for the SC); but my curiosity was rewarded. Fits both my hand and my wife's hand (noticeably smaller than mine) just fine. So there's another option for you GST-9 builders to explore and see if it works for you. If you want to try one, order the Hogue Handall grip for Glock 19.

Either one hand or a two hand grip feels pretty locked-in and comfortable.

Last edited:
I'd installed a Hogue Handall grip for Glock 19's on the P80, and while it fit and gave better comfort, I found it a bit too much for that frame, removed it carefully, installing a Talon Grip (for G19) decal instead.

A long time ago, I tried a Hogue slip-on grip for my Gen 2 Glock 19. It made an already fairly large grip even larger. It was removed shortly thereafter. I switched to a Talon stick-on grip... much better. All three of my Glocks have Talon grips. Two have the rubber. One has the original "granulated" (aka skateboard tape) grip. I prefer the rubber.

G23 with granulate Talon grip​

G23.jpg

G27 with rubber Talon grip​

G27-Glock-27.jpg

The Talon grips also adorn my FNH guns, which come with a rather abrasive integral grip texture. The Talons smooth that out while retaining good grip properties.
FNP-45T-Home-Defense.jpg

For my P80s.... so far... I've gone "bareback." So far, I seem to like the "natural" grip texture. I haven't found a need to change them.

We cut our teeth on a few GST-9 builds before moving over to P80 faire...if any of you are from MGB, you may or may not recall that I made some custom grip decals from scratch using Talon Grip blank material, as at the time were no precut options for the GST-9 (apparently there are now). Those decals definitely improved the GST-9's grip IMO....but while I find the grip more intrinsically ergonomic than our P80 (PF940C) G19 counterpart- IMO the P80 is a bit too squared, yet the GST-9's grip is a tad smallish in spite of being more comfortable. I'd installed a Hogue Handall grip for Glock 19's on the P80, and while it fit and gave better comfort, I found it a bit too much for that frame, removed it carefully, installing a Talon Grip (for G19) decal instead. Much better....SO...

I've had the Hogue grip just sitting around and I thought to myself, "self, I bet that Hogue Handall would work just fine on the GST-9". After some curious and non-scientific examining of the grip area and the Hogue, I went for it today, and installed it on a GST-9 frame. Oh my this feels real good. Dare I say near-perfect on the GST-9. Nice palm-swell, nice snug fit and no puckers or looseness. I submit to you exhibits A and B:

View attachment 8357View attachment 8358

I wasn't sure we'd like it as much as the Hogue Handall grips for G26 on our SC builds (imo they are ESSENTIAL and perfect for the SC); but my curiosity was rewarded. Fits both my hand and my wife's hand (noticeably smaller than mine) just fine. So there's another option for you GST-9 builders to explore and see if it works for you. If you want to try one, order the Hogue Handall grip for Glock 19.

Either one hand or a two hand grip feels pretty locked-in and comfortable.
Can you explain the tooth cutting procedure/tools you used to cot those excellent teeth to your frame.I'd like to give it a try as yours came out perfect.

Can you explain the tooth cutting procedure/tools you used to cot those excellent teeth to your frame.I'd like to give it a try as yours came out perfect.
Thanks for joining the forum and participating by posting! When you get a chance, please write up a quick “introduction” (or RE-introduction if you were a former MGB forum member) of yourself over in the Introduce Yourself! section. Tell us about yourself, your building experience, and how you found the forum.
Jump into other threads, too! Come on in... the water's fine! 😊

A long time ago, I tried a Hogue slip-on grip for my Gen 2 Glock 19. It made an already fairly large grip even larger. It was removed shortly thereafter. I switched to a Talon stick-on grip... much better. All three of my Glocks have Talon grips. Two have the rubber. One has the original "granulated" (aka skateboard tape) grip. I prefer the rubber.

G23 with granulate Talon grip​

View attachment 8381

G27 with rubber Talon grip​

View attachment 8382

The Talon grips also adorn my FNH guns, which come with a rather abrasive integral grip texture. The Talons smooth that out while retaining good grip properties.
View attachment 8383

For my P80s.... so far... I've gone "bareback." So far, I seem to like the "natural" grip texture. I haven't found a need to change them.

Imo the SC didn't have adequate tracton by itself, or with the talon grip we'd purchased and installed. The sidearm would have a bit of squirm in the hand in double and triple shots....the Hogue Handall Beavertail grip is, IMO the perfect and essential addition to the SC frame. Your grip really locks as you have a nice, subtle palm swell and not just that rather rounded, short 2x4 grip the P80 has. Of course using the 12-round extended mags also is a big plus...but they weren't enough without the hogues installed.

Granted, on the PF940C (G19) the Hogue Handall was too much, so I removed it. That same grip is PERFECT for the GST-9. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thank you and welcome to PGB! Can assure you they're not perfect, but they were a learning situation, that helped with yet another GST-9 and various P80 builds. I'm not sure what advice you're looking for. If you can specify hopefully I and others can give some pointers to help with a successful outcome and avoid issues.

Mods can we get this thread moved over to the 80% Arms section? I didn't see it until today. Thanks!

Back