Question If you could only have one gun....

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
It's an old theme, common on many gun forums. I don't think we've done it here.

You can only have ONE gun... for ALL purposes. Which one would it be?

For me, I think it would be my Gen 2 Glock 19 (my very first pistol).
Glock-19-a.jpg

Tough question. It really depends on what scenarios you think you need that "one gun" for. I feel like it should be something like an AR9 or AR15 to give me a more capacity, accuracy (AR9) or even more accuracy/range/stopping power (AR15).

If I am putting on my end of the world hat, I'd probably back into either my Smith & Wesson 686 6" or Smith & Wesson 629 6.5". Revolvers are pretty reliable, have less maintenance points than a semi-automatic and I have a reloading press and dies for both .357 & .44 Magnums.

Though that brings up the concern of getting reloading supplies. So, my snarky reply would be, I want to have the gun that I either have or can obtain the most ammunition for. An unfed firearm in any configuration is only useful as a club.

Remington 870. The versatility of a 12 ga seals it for me.

Tough question. It really depends on what scenarios you think you need that "one gun" for.
Yes, it isn't a fair question you can really answer without context with what's happening in society. A balanced society, you will want a firearm for food and other matters. For the apocalypse, its an entirely different scenario.

For example, if you asked me this question 20-30 years ago, my answer would be entirely different than what today's answer might be. 30 years ago, anarchy and apocalypse was not on the radar really.

And to go even further, rules and laws that make you a felon change monthly depending on where you live. In an apocalypse, you could use a shorter AR with a pistol brace that can shoot mid range and close, and then rely on sling shots, or BB guns (not a firearm) to handle food and varmit stuff to feed you. BB guns are quiet and can be quite powerful, so you could own many BB guns of varying capabilities and still meet the single firearm requirement posed in the question.

The question should be more focused. It's like an open ended poll.

Last edited:
Yes, it isn't a fair question you can really answer without context with what's happening in society. A balanced society, you will want a firearm for food and other matters. For the apocalypse, its an entirely different scenario.

For example, if you asked me this question 20-30 years ago, my answer would be entirely different than what today's answer might be. 30 years ago, anarchy and apocalypse was not on the radar really.

And to go even further, rules and laws that make you a felon change monthly depending on where you live. In an apocalypse, you could use a shorter AR with a pistol brace that can shoot mid range and close, and then rely on sling shots, or BB guns (not a firearm) to handle food and varmit stuff to feed you. It's quiet and they can be quite powerful, so you could own many BB guns of varying capabilities and still meet the single firearm requirement posed in the question.

The question should be more focused. It's like an open ended poll.
It's open-ended intentionally. If I stipulated a "scenario," then someone would say I didn't consider another scenario.

No scenarios. One gun. For the rest of your life... whatever "scenarios" may come. For all purposes and no scenarios in mind... or all scenarios. Right now... which ONE gun? For me, the answer has always been the same... Glock 19.

Last edited:
I had a Gen2 G19 with Hogue sleeve. One of many gats I wished I still had. Proceeds went towards a Gen3 G30 which I still have.

I think you need to up the ante to THREE guns because picking ONE is just too mentally challenging... :D But since that IS the question, I too would keep my first pistol (which I still have), a Colt 1991 in .45ACP. :) UPDATE: I was wrong--my first pistol was a Ruger P85 MkII that I traded towards the G19. ;)

Honorable mentions: Glock G40 (10mm LS), AR-15 with various uppers including 9mm, Ruger 10-22, Mossberg 500 with ass't of barrels (ie: security, rifled/scoped, hunting/ported, black powder), Barrett 82A1 (.50BMG semi-auto, 10rd cap) :D

Last edited:
I think you need to up the ante to THREE guns because picking ONE is just too mentally challenging... :D

You can start that thread! No rules against that. :) My name is on too many threads... you do that one. :cool:

For longevity and diy fixes it would have to be wood and steel, my SKS.
Accurate enough and big enough caliber for 90% of your problems or needs.
Small game youā€™ll have to learn how to trap.

My gen 4 Glock 29.. very concealable as I do so daily. Way more controllable than most people think. (I have ALOT of trigger time with mine and I'm on my second barrel. Lol) Enough capacity for a bad day, and enough oomph to kill pretty much anything on the North American Continent.

Last edited:
In a near future dystopia where government drones hunt us and enforce quarantines shotguns may be the only choice

In a near future dystopia where government drones hunt us and enforce quarantines shotguns may be the only choice
Given the variety of shot options as well as slugs, a shotgun may not be an overall bad one-gun to have.

Glock 19. Any gen.

Reason? Ammo, compatible mags and parts are plentiful. If the SHTF, you want a platform that is a commodity. If it's situation normal, the G19 is easy to carry, durable, reliable, and has the capacity of a duty pistol. Proven, all-around good choice for civilians, LEO, or military.

If you need parts or mags, you can take them from the dead guys after the gunfight. šŸ˜µ The proverbial battlefield pickup. The enemy, whoever that may be, are more likely to be carrying Glocks than other makes. :)

My top picks If I had five minutes to decide what to take with me:

Glock 19 w/suppressor
HK AP5
AR15 Wylde barrel 223/5.56 w/suppressor
Benelli M4

Six mags each for the first 3. For the Benelli, a 30 round bandolier 15 shot and 15 slugs

Ruger Security Six 357
1 of my lever action rifles, probably 30/30.
Maybe a SKS or AK
All of these work with black powder.

Id be hard pressed to leave my recurves & Wicked Ridge RDX400 behind.

Back