IWB requirements

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
First and foremost... have a waist!

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 6.59.46 PM.png

This is the typical kydex holster hater. Now you know why. :)

Dude, you shouldn't post photos of yourself like that! ;)

I have a waist, but I don't like IWB all-kydex holsters. I like the leather-kydex hybrids.

Wrote this way back in 2010. Consequently, disregard the prices.

Some of my collection accumulated in the search for the perfect holster. The pros and cons reflect my experiences and opinions such as the non cant adjustable holsters being a "con". This is not an issue if the factory angle suits you. I have on occasion increased the cant to bring the butt in closer to my ribcage when carrying the big 5 inch gun and it was too warm for a jacket.
Comments and pics welcome.

Sam Andrews McDaniel II
This was my first IWB holster and overall, my favorite. I have three of them for the three guns I carry most. As you can see, it's well worn with 10 years worth of use on it.
Worth the wait. Get the Body Shield option.
Price:
$100.00 +$5 for Body Shield.

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Comfortable to wear all day.
Molded fit to gun
Rough side out.
Not dyed.
Soft molded so it doesn't feel like a rock in your waistban.
Metal throat band so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Attachment point to the belt is to the rear to lessen the tendency to "print".
Belt loop is adjustable for cant and removable. Two sizes furnished with holster.
Easy on and off with "pull-the-dot" snap.
Some of my collection accumulated in the search for the perfect holster. The pros and cons reflect my experiences and opinions such as the non cant adjustable holsters being a "con". This is not an issue if the factory angle suits you. I have on occasion increased the cant to bring the butt in closer to my ribcage when carrying the big 5 inch gun and it was too warm for a jacket.
Comments and pics welcome.

Sam Andrews McDaniel II
This was my first IWB holster and overall, my favorite. I have three of them for the three guns I carry most. As you can see, it's well worn with 10 years worth of use on it.
Worth the wait. Get the Body Shield option.
Price:
$100.00 +$5 for Body Shield.

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Comfortable to wear all day.
Molded fit to gun
Rough side out.
Not dyed.
Metal throat band so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Attachment point to the belt is to the rear to lessen the tendency to "print".
Belt loop is adjustable for cant and removable. Two sizes furnished with holster.
Easy on and off with "pull-the-dot" snap.
I have one of these for 1911 (pictured), G23, and Browning Hi-Power if that tells you anything.

Cons:
Andrews is a one man band. Lead times are in months as he makes each to order.

P1010003.jpg

Kramer IWB #2

I bought this holster based on their rep for quality and being horsehide, its durability. Overall, it is my least favorite holster.
Price:
Horsehide $145.
Cowhide $126

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.
Leather throat band so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Adjustable for different belt widths.

Cons:
Holster is hard molded and feels like a rock in your waistband after several hours wear.
Not adjustable for cant.
Attachment point is at thickest part of holster making it print easier.
Standard holster is dyed black and stains my clothes if the weather is hot and I sweat on it. Kramers remedy of nuetral shoepolish failed to stop the staining.
Belt must be removed to remove holster.

P1010005.jpg

Milt Sparks Summer Special II

I picked the 45 holster up off ebay recently. Haven't worn it yet.
The revolver holster I've had for 5-6 years.

Price:
$90

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.
Leather throat band so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Rough side out.
Not dyed.
Snap belt loops for easy on/off.

Cons:
Not adjustable for cant.
A revolver in a IWB is probably not my best idea. Flat guns go best with IWB's. I have to position the holster just right to be comfortable, and even then it's not as comfortable as the flat autos are.
Milt Sparks holsters are in high demand. Lead times in months, but worth the wait.

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Cross Breed Super Tuck

I recently purchased this holster and have worn it twice all day so far. I was a bit skeptical at first as the holster is a bit of an "ugly duckling", but the proof is in the pudding they say and I have been favorably impressed with the comfort of this holster. Due to its design, it spreads the weight of the gun over a wider area of your belt. This makes the gun seem lighter than the same gun worn in a single point of support holster. I can wear my 5" steel frame Kimber in this holster and it feels almost the same as my 4" aluminum frame compact in any of the other holsters. I was very surprised. The aluminum compact hardly feels like its even there.

Price:
$69.75 (cowhide black)
+$15 for natural horsehide
+$7.50 for combat cut

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.
Comfortable to wear all day. Design conforms to your body shape.
Rough side out.
Not dyed. (horsehide option)
Molded Kydex so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Belt clips are adjustable for cant and ride height.
Slimer profile than a all leather holster.
Weight of gun is distributed over larger area of belt increasing comfort and making gun feel lighter than other designs.
Two week lead time.
Combat cut option for those that desire it.
Tuckable design for shirt tail tucked in wear.

Cons:
Standard holster does not allow a firing grip before the gun clears leather. This makes the holster more comfortable as it keeps the gun from touching skin, but is a negative for me. The thumb is placed over the hammer for the draw and then can be moved down into the firing position as the gun comes up. The combat cut option trims additional leather away from the grip area allowing for a firing grip while the gun is still holstered. I will probably send mine back for this alteration.

P1010002.jpg

Cons:
Andrews is a one man band. Lead times are in months as he makes each to order.
I have one of these for 1911 (pictured), G23, and Browning Hi-Power if that tells you anything.

P1010003.jpg

Kramer IWB #2

I bought this holster based on their rep for quality and being horsehide, its durability. Overall, it is my least favorite holster.
Price:
Horsehide $145.
Cowhide $126

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.

Cons:
Holster is hard molded and feels like a rock in your waistband after several hours wear.
Not adjustable for cant.
Standard holster is dyed black and stains my clothes if the weather is hot and I sweat on it. Kramers remedy of nuetral shoepolish failed to stop the staining.
Belt must be removed to remove holster.

P1010005.jpg

Milt Sparks Summer Special II

I picked the 45 holster up off ebay recently. Haven't worn it yet.
The revolver holster I've had for 5-6 years.

Price:
$90

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.
Rough side out.
Not dyed.
Snap belt loops for easy on/off.

Cons:
Not adjustable for cant.
A revolver in a IWB is probably not my best idea. Flat guns go best with IWB's. I have to position the holster just right to be comfortable, and even then it's not as comfortable as the flat autos are.
Milt Sparks holsters are in high demand. Lead times in months, but worth the wait.

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Cross Breed Super Tuck

I recently purchased this holster and have worn it twice all day so far. I was a bit skeptical at first as the holster is a bit of an "ugly duckling", but the proof is in the pudding they say and I have been favorably impressed with the comfort of this holster. Due to its design, it spreads the weight of the gun over a wider area of your belt. This makes the gun seem lighter than the same gun worn in a single point of support holster. I can wear my 5" steel frame Kimber in this holster and it feels almost the same as my 4" aluminum frame compact in any of the other holsters. I was very surprised. The aluminum compact hardly feels like its even there.

Price:
$69.75 (cowhide black)
+$15 for natural horsehide
+$7.50 for combat cut

Pros:
Well made and finished.
Molded fit to gun.
Comfortable to wear all day. Design conforms to your body shape.
Rough side out.
Not dyed. (horsehide option)
Molded Kydex so the holster doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn. One hand re-holster is easy.
Belt clips are adjustable for cant and ride height.
Slimer profile than a all leather holster.
Weight of gun is distributed over larger area of belt increasing comfort and making gun feel lighter than other designs.
Two week lead time.
Combat cut option for those that desire it.
Tuckable design for shirt tail tucked in wear.

Cons:
Standard holster does not allow a firing grip before the gun clears leather. This makes the holster more comfortable as it keeps the gun from touching skin, but is a negative for me. The thumb is placed over the hammer for the draw and then can be moved down into the firing position as the gun comes up. The combat cut option trims additional leather away from the grip area allowing for a firing grip while the gun is still holstered. I will probably send mine back for this alteration.

P1010002.jpg

Leather... I've found Galco to be just fine for most situations. I also like 1791. I have a couple of Wright Leatherworks for some nice 1911's I own. But my EDC is always kydex. I like Vedder and Crossbreed's Rogue, which is their only non hybrid product. If you exclude the belly band. Their super tuck and mini tuck just feel too big for me. The Reckoning... I could live with.

Last edited:
Back