MIL-SPEC sights.

oldtanker

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
A word to the wise. Just because it's MIL-SPEC doesn't mean it's better. The US Government wants something. They decide to buy. They set someone down and tell they what they need. What and how it is to be used and then to figure out what they can afford within a given budget. Then they write up a contract that the winning LOW BIDDER says they will make good any faults that show up in X amount time. Now say with a pistol sight. What they come up with MAY be of higher standard than a company already makes an it MAY be lower. The company isn't going to say that outloud. They are going use that MIL-SPEC rating to sell to the civilian population!

"MIL SPEC" means for that particular product, it must meet a particular size/ weight, and perform a particular function or functions in a myriad of environments, and under a myriad of environmental influences.

The shocking part is realizing many of these decisions are made by people who have neither knowledge or interest in the particular project - see the SIG handgun selection.

I'm more comfortable in the development/ prototype/ testing. Dealing the snakes on both sides looking to pad their own pockets is where projects go awry. I've worked on a number of projects where the presented product was of quality and met the initial "MIL SPEC" for the project, but then when production of said product is discussed - there are acceptances and alterations of the "MIL SPEC" in order to have the quantities requested produced, and the ultimate finished product that reaches the Soldier/ Airman/ Marine/ or Sailor are quite different.

/K

^^^THIS. Absolute truth.
Both in principles and especially regarding the Sig. I used to have a lot of respect for that company, I wouldn't personally touch one of their products outside of a range anymore...
I have seen quite a lot of this over the last couple of years, and dove into the whys of it myself, and was both shocked and dismayed at Sig Sauer's process.

^^^THIS. Absolute truth.
Both in principles and especially regarding the Sig. I used to have a lot of respect for that company, I wouldn't personally touch one of their products outside of a range anymore...
I have seen quite a lot of this over the last couple of years, and dove into the whys of it myself, and was both shocked and dismayed at Sig Sauer's process.
I not sure I want to build mine now.

G&G just release the vids about Sig lawsuit... this has been in and out of the news for a few years, but DAMN didn't know there were so many...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3TsYporsnE

I watched one or 2 of his things he's done. No more! Guy bores me to death. IMO he has maybe 3-6 minutes of actual usable info and just as if not more time in rants and his opinions.

I did however look it up in the news. took half the time.

Rick

"MIL SPEC" means for that particular product, it must meet a particular size/ weight, and perform a particular function or functions in a myriad of environments, and under a myriad of environmental influences.

The shocking part is realizing many of these decisions are made by people who have neither knowledge or interest in the particular project - see the SIG handgun selection.

I'm more comfortable in the development/ prototype/ testing. Dealing the snakes on both sides looking to pad their own pockets is where projects go awry. I've worked on a number of projects where the presented product was of quality and met the initial "MIL SPEC" for the project, but then when production of said product is discussed - there are acceptances and alterations of the "MIL SPEC" in order to have the quantities requested produced, and the ultimate finished product that reaches the Soldier/ Airman/ Marine/ or Sailor are quite different.

/K
Yep and worse once the military says a product meets MIL-SPEC even if they don't buy it the manufacturer will ride that MIL-SPEC rating to death.

Rick

Back