Miniature Red Dot Sights - Who likes them? Why or why not?

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I think I like them. I have two, so far. One (Trijicon RMR RM-07) on my bump-in-the-night home defense pistol, an FNP 45 Tactical.

I got the Trijicon RMR a long time ago... because it was the "gold standard." And, it wasn't cheap!

FNP-45T.jpg

1646924827220.png
1646924836431.png

I decided to go with the Holosun HE507C-GR X2 for my first build - a range toy. It was a lot less than a Trijicon, but more than the low-end MRDS (miniature red dot sights).

20211203_225559-2.jpg

In this photo, the camera ended up focusing on the rear sight instead of the dot.

20211203_225504.jpg

Overall... I like the MRDS. They've grown on me. And, they do take some acclimation and practice / repetition, before "finding the dot" becomes more instinctive.

Those who are "older" and need "readers," can find the front sight difficult to bring into focus. This is where the MRDS shine.

I will add that I really like the sight picture of the Holosun better than the venerated Trijicon RMR. The window seems / feels bigger and brighter. I also like the green dot over the red dot.

I know this is an old post, but still wanted to reply. I agree with the old-eyes reasoning. I have a 507K on my EDC Sig p365 and love it. I can barely make out my front sight unless I'm wearing reading glasses, so I felt like I needed to do something in case I ever need to make a 25-50 yard shot. Dicken proved that this scenario can/does happen in self-defense situations. At typical self-defense distances, I train to not even use the sights, but I like having the dot there if needed. YMMV

Last edited:
At typical self-defense distances, I train to not even use the sights, but I like having the dot there if needed. YMMV

Yep. I've had actual point shooting training, including a recent refresher course.

I've now got 2,600 rounds fired with the optic installed on the PFC9. I'm not counting the 3,000 rounds I've fired with an optic on my FNP-45T, because practice with that gun has been sporadic over the course of many years.

Hundreds of recent dry-fire practice rounds and presentations from low or compressed ready and from the holster with the PFC9, too.

I can honestly say that I'm as fast with the RDS as I am with iron sights, if not FASTER. No kidding.

The ability to remain THREAT (or target, if you prefer)-FOCUSED and bringing a very visible and crisp optic reticle over that target without changing my focus AT ALL is an EPIPHANY.

Interestingly, there has been a LOT of rancorous discussion on the merits vs perceived liabilities on forums lately. Some of the mythology and assumptions are quite astonishing and entirely refutable.

But some folks just plug their ears and continue doing what they've been doing. And there's nothing wrong with doing what has worked for you. "Don't argue with success," my dad always told me. But, I do take issue with the rather preposterous CLAIMS they make (about pistol optics) in order to justify their position.

Last edited:
Interestingly, there has been a LOT of rancorous discussion on the merits vs perceived liabilities on forums lately. Some of the mythology and assumptions are quite astonishing and entirely refutable.

But some folks just plug their ears and continue doing what they've been doing. And there's nothing wrong with doing what has worked for you. "Don't argue with success," my dad always told me. But, I do take issue with the rather preposterous CLAIMS they make (about pistol optics) in order to justify their position.
Pistol optics cause Climate Change.

Been looking at the Holosun EPS Carry MRS for a 19 clone build (GST-9 frame) I'm budgeting for and speccing. It's pretty svelte for a RDS, and low rider regarding the mount so you can use std irons as well. The RDS is the very last thing I'll add to the system, after everything else is done on the build. It's not like I have to have one. But it's kinda intriguing.

Back