Never comply with a criminal's demands!

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Except to FEIGN compliance to conceal your ability to defend yourself or to time your counter-ambush.

But, there are certain "lines in the sand." Never ever comply by going to a different place. Never ever comply by getting down on the ground. Unfortunately, this victim was overly-compliant and he was executed.

There comes a time to fight. When the bad guy demands your "get down" or go to another room, it's so he can kill you out of sight. That's your cue. It's go time.

Warning: GRAPHIC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZErTGLCdRI

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this victim was overly-compliant and he was executed.
The commentary does point out that the clerk was not fully compliant on at least two items. Great point he makes - either fully comply or fully resist. I am about to Monday morning QB the clerk which is not fair to him but is smart for us to think about. I see a couple of times at least where the unarmed clerk could have made a move for the gun (i.e. the two times the guy looks away and maybe the one time his back is to him). Maybe an interesting side thing to observe - you may be in situations where you can't be armed. If so, is hand-to-hand your best option -- be prepared to make a go for the gun if things are looking south.

The commentary does point out that the clerk was not fully compliant on at least two items. Great point he makes - either fully comply or fully resist.
I must have missed that. And I watched the whole video. But, I disagree with "fully comply" or "fully resist," as do pretty much ALL of the experts. There is a time to comply and a time to fight, and both can be within the same encounter. There's FAR too much to that to write up here. I've read many books on it.

I see a couple of times at least where the unarmed clerk could have made a move for the gun (i.e. the two times the guy looks away and maybe the one time his back is to him).
If you're going for the disarm you BETTER know what the fuck you're doing. That means actual training and practice in disarm techniques. Rather than attempt a disarm (especially if he is not trained), he could have instead made a run for it. I'd rather evade and take my chances that he's a bad shot.

If so, is hand-to-hand your best option -- be prepared to make a go for the gun if things are looking south.
Again, you better be really good at it. I'm not. I've been the demonstration model ("attacker") in a disarm technique. It was a side-bar during lunch at a defensive pistol class. The instructor was REALLY good at it. He had me on the ground (and the SIRT laser pistol) out of my hand before I could blink.

But, if you try that in real life.... unless you're trained like my instructor... it's a suicide mission.

My opinion, of course.

Diving at him across the counter and attempting to disarm him would've at least given the guy a fighting chance.

Diving at him across the counter and attempting to disarm him would've at least given the guy a fighting chance.
Yes, but we are also Monday morning QBing as we get to see the result before we assess what could have been done.

But, if you try that in real life.... unless you're trained like my instructor... it's a suicide mission.

Is it? Against a trained person I would have to agree. Against a street thug? Maybe still so depending on their street fighting experience. I didn't grow up in the hood so I'd be at a disadvantage in pretty much any H2H combat. At the same time, if you are unarmed and think you are about to be killed, what do you have to lose?

At the same time, if you are unarmed and think you are about to be killed, what do you have to lose?

If I have a chance to evade (aka run), I'd choose that over an attempted disarm. Disarm would be very last resort for me.

Of course, your precondition is a rather remote possibility.

If I have a chance to evade (aka run), I'd choose that over an attempted disarm.

I think we are sort of saying the same thing. Running/evading is not complying either. If you are armed more or less all the time then obviously drawing and firing is on the option list and if conditions warrant would be pretty high on the list as incapacitating the threat is the ultimate end goal. I pray none of us here ever have to deal with the scenario armed or unarmed and at the same time that if any of us do, we are still here to relay the experience!

I think we are sort of saying the same thing. Running/evading is not complying either. If you are armed more or less all the time then obviously drawing and firing is on the option list and if conditions warrant would be pretty high on the list as incapacitating the threat is the ultimate end goal. I pray none of us here ever have to deal with the scenario armed or unarmed and at the same time that if any of us do, we are still here to relay the experience!
Just remember to record it. Nowadays, if it's not on social media, it didn't happen. Lmao

Back