One last range trip with my son before he goes to boot camp.

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Brought my son out for one more rifle range session before he ships out to USMC boot camp a week from today.

Met up with a friend, too.

It was pretty steamy but a nice day. I brought the SCAR-16S so my son could do some standing off-hand shooting while using a sling. He also did some bench shooting, since that's how the range is really set up.

My friend brought various toys, but ended up shooting just the RPR 6.5 Creedmoor and the RPR .338-Lapua (the big boy!).

My son fired at 50 and 100 yard targets with the SCAR-16S.
GB-SCAR-16S.jpg

Target-3.jpg

To my son's left was my friend's bench. First, "Anduril" brought out the 6.5CM at 50 yards and then at 100 yards.
Anduril-6.5.jpg

Then it was time for the "big boy" 338! The zero was off, so we had to bore-sight it (at 100 yards). Once we got it zeroed, @Anduril shot the lower right bullseye. My son shot the lower left. It looks like three shots, but it was five.
RPR-338-Lapua-Target.jpg

My future Marine on the .338-Lapua:
RPR-338-Lapua-2.jpg

After that, my son was off to do some physical fitness training with some fellow USMC "poolies" from his recruiting substation. My friend and I moved over to the pistol range.

I ended up shooting only my Polymer80 PFC 9 "EDC". I brought the "Cobalt Celtic," but didn't fire it today.
Pistol-Target-1-bench.jpg

I took my first three shots with the target at 5 yards.
Pistol-Target-1-1st-three-shots.jpg

Then 2 more shots at the center bullseye and 5-shot groups at each of the other bullseyes.
Pistol-Target-1.jpg

Next target: 10 rounds to the center bulleye and 5-shot groups at each of the outer bullseye at 10 yards:
Meh! It looks so much better at 5 yards!
Pistol-Target-2.jpg

Last target was also at 10 yards. For this one, I went from "compressed ready" and punched out and fired as soon as I had a sight picture. Most of them fit into a fist-sized group. The others... not so much, but still "minute of man."
Pistol-Target-3.jpg

Then it was LUNCH TIME! Had a nice lunch with my range buddy. Good day and good company!

Excellent shooting! He is going to do well in basic, that’s a given.

Back