Permanent attached suppressor

Stephen G

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Just curious if any issue pin and weld suppressors to achieve the required 16" barrel length?
Nonserviceable suppressor, so doesn't disassemble.
Never read anything saying no, but doesnt mean squat lol.

My Leonidas is built like that so it was only one tax stamp. And you can use a serviceable can. The Leonidas comes apart for cleaning.

If this is a 10/22, Tac-Sol has their SBX barrel that is essentially a cage attached to the barrel that the suppressor sides inside of. This design could be adapted to other platforms.

You will have to do some planning and talk to your gunsmith. If you want it serviceable, you'll have to pick a mono core design so OAL length is always 16" even when disassembled.

Leonidas.

1679362761656.png

1679362819575.png

Tac-Sol SBX.

1679362871490.png

What would you gain? Instead of an NFA SBR item you have a rifle with an NFA suppressor item.

What would you gain? Instead of an NFA SBR item you have a rifle with an NFA suppressor item.
The gain is not having to pay for a stamp on an SBR which he would have to do if the can was detachable.

The gain is not having to pay for a stamp on an SBR which he would have to do if the can was detachable.
Wouldn't the new configuration with an attached suppressor need a tax stamp too? Not up on the rules - wondering that since the configuration of the removeable suppressor is changing it needs different paperwork (assuming a tax stamp is in hand on the detachable suppressor)?

Thanks No4Mk1 It would be a 350legend. Rexsilentium MK7 on a 12.5 barrel- most likely. Although the OD of the Mk7 is a problem. I really like the Mk7 but if its permanently attached, handguard wont slide over it and adjustable gas is almost impossible.
I know there are skinner 350 cans, but that 1 just sounds so damn good. Lol
It will be purely a hunt rifle, couple 100 rds a year 2nd year on. Probably shoot the barrel out 1st yr.

It would not be a alteration to the suppressor, other than not being removable. But it is a slippery slope with the powers to be.

Wouldn't the new configuration with an attached suppressor need a tax stamp too? Not up on the rules - wondering that since the configuration of the removeable suppressor is changing it needs different paperwork (assuming a tax stamp is in hand on the detachable suppressor)?
Being he already has the suppressor, the tax has been paid on that already.
His proposed host weapon would have a barrel that is less than 16".
If the can can be removed, he has to pay a second tax stamp for the SBR. If the can is permanently attached, the OAL is then more than 16" and he avoids the second tax stamp.

Being he already has the suppressor, the tax has been paid on that already.
His proposed host weapon would have a barrel that is less than 16".
If the can can be removed, he has to pay a second tax stamp for the SBR. If the can is permanently attached, the OAL is then more than 16" and he avoids the second tax stamp.
My specific concern is that once permanently attached, I believe the entire barrel is considered the suppressor. The tax stamp that was issued was for a suppressor of a length (for example 5 inches) and has that length specified on the Form 4. Permanently attached, that length has changed. I could easily see the ATF arguing that the form 4 no longer applies as the description does not match the item.

The ATF may permit a "clerical" change of the form and not require a $200 payment for a new stamp. I am cautious with NFA stuff and personally wouldn't shrug my shoulders and do it. Maybe if the ATF issued a letter stating it was ok, but even then they tend to change their minds on those letters from time to time.

My Leonidas is built like that so it was only one tax stamp. And you can use a serviceable can. The Leonidas comes apart for cleaning.

If this is a 10/22, Tac-Sol has their SBX barrel that is essentially a cage attached to the barrel that the suppressor sides inside of. This design could be adapted to other platforms.

You will have to do some planning and talk to your gunsmith. If you want it serviceable, you'll have to pick a mono core design so OAL length is always 16" even when disassembled.

Leonidas.

View attachment 10145

View attachment 10146

Tac-Sol SBX.

View attachment 10147
Is your rifle hard ro shoot due to being gassy?

Are they still requiring pinning AND welding for flash hiders/adapters to get to 16"? :unsure:

The ATF may permit a "clerical" change of the form and not require a $200 payment for a new stamp. I am cautious with NFA stuff and personally wouldn't shrug my shoulders and do it. Maybe if the ATF issued a letter stating it was ok, but even then they tend to change their minds on those letters from time to time.
This ☝️☝️

I would not dance around A T F rules in today's political climate. They have their marching orders to bust people. I heard a rumor that agents are visiting ranges and covertly observing. Looking for violators. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I have no desire to find out. I understand the urge to refuse to comply with overreaching authority. But if everyone doesn't do it, and I literally mean everyone, then you may be the example who goes to jail.

Getting another $200 stamp is a lot cheaper and a lot faster than defense attorneys and the process of felony prosecution.

Last edited:
Are they still requiring pinning AND welding for flash hiders/adapters to get to 16"? :unsure:
As far as I know, that is still the acceptable means of attachment to treat the flash hider as a permanent part of the barrel, so it counts to the overall length of the barrel. I haven't seen any attempts to change that.

Last edited:
There's a trade-off for a two-stamp rifle... You have $400 worth of tax stamps doing it the normal way... but you could also end up spending more than the extra $200 getting a custom made can and barrel that avoids the extra stamp for it being an SBR. As much as I despise the gubberment's b.s., once you do one stamp there is not much point in trying to avoid the second stamp. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I still like the design that uses the space between the gas block and the muzzle as part of the can's internal volume. A good compromise of overall length and having the can.

Another factor that way or may not matter...
You have to file a 5320 form with ATF whenever a SBR crosses state lines. (assuming the state you are entering allows SBR's) If you hunt in another state, or your gun club is across the border, then owning an SBR is more burdensome. Yes, some peeps file the form once a year and list the gun club and a start and finish date that covers the entire year. But you have to remember to do that each year and have the approved form in hand before you go.
Silencers are not burdened with that requirement, so the integral, or permanently attached can may be a better choice depending on your circumstances.

Back