Range day to test new trigger and just have fun.

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Went to the range with some friends today. I was anxious to see how the new trigger on "Goldi" felt.
20220901_182742[1].jpg

I've been working on my "low-left" demon. Better today but not quite there.
Target-1.jpg

After three targets with Goldi, it was time for some shots with my first build, the G34.

As we were setting up our targets, one of my buddies threw down a challenge for me by making a little dot with a pen towards the left side of the center (red diamond) bullseye. "I want to see you hit this." Har-dee-har-har!

Then we went back to the line and went "hot." Even though I couldn't see the little ink dot from 10 yards, I thought, "What the hell... I'm going to try to hit the left side of the center bull with the first shot on the target."

Since I had just switched to my G34 build with the Holosun green dot optic, this would be a "cold bore" shot.

And.... I fucking DRILLED it! Of course, I went over to my buddy and interrupted his shooting, to show him. I pointed at the target and said, "Remember that little dot you wanted me to hit? Well... SUCK IT!" :LOL:

I-want-to-see-you-hit-this.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-07 151237.png

The rest of that 5-shot group... two went through that hole.
Target-4-center.jpg

Goldi now has 475 rounds through it. The G34 now has 1,885 through it. Both without a single malfunction.

Last edited:
During one of the cold range periods, I was chatting with the RSO about gun and range safety. Then he mentioned a shooter on his range that had "one of those 80 series" guns. When he fired it, it did a full-auto mag dump. He asked the shooter to remove the gun from the range.

Keep in mind that this RSO had seen my level of shooting and observed the reliability / lack of malfunctions, as he was standing behind me most of the time (I was at the center of the range line). And, he's seen me shoot several times before.

After he mentioned the full-auto runaway "80 series" gun, I told him that I'm a builder. I pointed to my 2 guns on the bench and told him, "I built those P80s right there." He looked quite surprised. I went on about function and safety testing at home, including drop testing and confirming adequate sear engagement. I also explained my protocol for first-time live fire.

I also mentioned how many hours I put into my builds vs the media and political narrative that it can be done in 30 - 60 minutes.

It was an opportunity for me to present the "OTHER SIDE" of gun building as competent and "professional." It was an opportunity to refute the mischaracterization of PMFs and builders.

It was pure chance that he brought it up, as I would not have necessarily initiated that conversation.

Last edited:
The RSO at the range I go to has the same outlook. After several trips I finally let him shoot my AR carbine and he loved it. AFTER he shot it, I informed him it was a 80 build. Similar conversation ensued. Fast forward several months later to current.... When I'm there and someone is having trouble get a 80 build to run, he asks me if he can volunteer me to help them get it right.

When I'm there and someone is having trouble get a 80 build to run, he asks me if he can volunteer me to help them get it right.

What was it? Usually such problems require going back to the Freedom Bench at home.

I've only been asked to help out 2 or 3 times. I remember one was safety not engaging (safety selector hole was wallowed out letting the safety selector wobble around), so safety bar wouldnt properly engage the trigger. Another I remember was bolt not cycling properly or feeding the next round. Guy didn't have the gas block lined up properly/completely. I usually keep tools in my backpack I carry daily so I was able to fix his gas block issue at the range on the table. But the other one, was pretty much stuck out.

Last edited:
I've only been asked to help out 2 or 3 times. I remember one was safety not engaging (safety selector hole was wallowed out letting the safety selector wobble around), so safety bar wouldnt properly engage the trigger. Another I remember was bolt not cycling properly and feeding the next round. Guy didn't have the gas block lined up properly/completely. I usually keep tools in my backpack I carry daily so I was able to fix his gas block issue at the range on the table. But the other one, was pretty much stuck out.

Aha... so these were AR-15 builds. I had pistols in my head.

I've only done 2 pistol builds so far. And neither of them run perfect. That territory I'm still learning. I'm a long way from being in position to help someone else still.

I've only done 2 pistol builds so far. And neither of them run perfect. That territory I'm still learning. I'm a long way from being in position to help someone else still.

Three pistol builds completed for me. Zero AR-15s. Though I "panic bought" two 80% AR blanks for $42 each:
1662389697257.png

You'll love it once you dig into it. Not to get off topic but did you get yourself a jog set up so you can work it

No. No jig or AR-building-specific tools, yet. I don't think that's happening any time soon. I've got several P80 pistol projects still "on deck." Plenty to keep me busy for a while without spending more money.

When you're ready to order your jig and router, if they are on backorder like they have been for a while, lmk. I have a 80% Arms set up and Makita router just sitting.

Back