Savage A17

Stephen G

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I was very excited to get a Savage A17. I picked out the heavy barrel with synthetic stock, it will a hunt gun and see alot of bad weather.
The is barrel is heavy--- er then standard, but not bull barrel. Weight is a little light but acceptable. I can add weight easy enough.
Over all its what I expected. The trigger I CAN HONESTLY SAY IS THE! WORSE! TRIGGER I HAVE EVER PULLED!!! 12lbs
YEA REALLY.
I took the rifle apart, generous amounts of white grease everywhere. Including in the barrel. Magazine seems to set correctly but it can be pushed forward. Jusy not enough to dislodge it. Chambers a round fine. Havent shot it yet though.
The trigger group isn't anything Id want to disassemble while sitting in my recliner Ill tell ya that.
After looking it over in my hands,it roughly resembles a AR fcg, but different.
The problem is with the tigger saftey and the spring that is coiled around trigger pin. Not the coil spring on top of trigger safety. The saftey blade is fully disengaged at 3/4 and required about 4 more pounds of pressure to reach the trigger to drop hammer. There is ZERO difference in trigger adjustment screw.ZERO.
I managed to do a bubba adjustment to appropriate spring and scratch some ruff edges off of saftey blade.
Its ok now, not a good, just barely acceptable. Just OK. Think its breaking around 5lbs and feels like a box O rocks. Not exactly precision quality.
I ordered the EGW scope rail so I dont have to buy yet another set of scope rings.
Hope to take it out this weekend and see how it shoots.
The trigger will require a complete disassembly and fix. Talking port, polished, shaved and some slick50.

We shallllll seeeeed

Alot happier with it today. Trigger is breaking just shy of 5lbs. Believe with some attention to the stamped edges that can be improved on. Trigger had issue with resets maybe 1 in 5. No big deal, just a light tap on shoe to complete reset.

NOW!! AS FOR THE 17HMR AND DELAYED BLOW BACK!! Where have you been all my life.
No over pressure case signs, slick as snot. Think it was around 1/2 deviation feom 50 to 100yda vertical.
We had thunderstorms moving in with 20mph gust. Shooting between the gust the best I could I still managed to keep groups under 3" @100yds. With 8 different ammo types from 15.5gr to 20gr and a AR optic 4.5x18x40 mounted with low mount rings on EGW rail. Need to trim a inch off rail. As it is now, the portion hanging over the barrel nut is too much. Scope needs another inch back for me. Works on a bench, not so much off a shooting stick while balancing on 1 foot and kicking at a Copperheaded Rattle Moccasin with the other.

Today was all about function and it preformed fantastic. I loaded a magazine with 1 round from every box. Fired at 100yds. 3" group and all went.
The wind does push it a bit, but thats to be expected with conditions today.
I see NO issue with head shots on hogs or W/E out to 150yds during samll game season. Your only allowed to kill hogs/coyotes with the approved firearm/weapon of whats in season on federal & state lands. So we hunt bobcat, squirrels, possums with rimfire and always come back with the bacon.
I plan on taking it out 200yds on paper soon.

Its a awesome trigger now.
Its a AR trigger with a funky interrupter.
Lots of sharp edges needed to removed from every component. Sear edges had some sharp/rolled edges. The weight adjustment screw/spring was LOCKED up. Not WTF, but couldnt get it to move more then 1/4 turn prior to disassemble. It was locked in lowest point. Now it has full adjustment.
I have it breaking at 4lbs. Still just a touch of gritty right before the break.
The interrupter isnt hanging up the reset anymore, but still needs a touch of work.

Here is web page with decent photos of individual parts of FCG.

Lots of nooks an crannys for stuff to grind against. 10min with 600grt sand paper removed 90% of the FTW issues. Ill run a few more rounda through it, then see if needs more help.

Side note- I put 50+ rounds through it yesterday. Left the great gobs of factory white grease in the receiver. The receiver, bolt, bolt face, chamber face, everything- relatively clean. Absolute minimal powder granules/smut/funk in receiver. Even with Remington ammo and I have to clean the bolt face and chamber face of my 22LR target every 5 rds with a tooth brush when using Remington ammo in it.
The delayed blowback should be mandatory on all semi rim fires. Lol
If your in the market I strongly suggest the A17, IF you're handy and if you can build a P80 etc. The A17s trigger should be a breeze.

100 pennies in the buttstock and some fill a foam. No more empty bucket sounds from the buttstock and the balance is just shy of center of magazine. Aiming off hand is a breeze now. Removed the sharp edges from the molding seams on the stock.

Speedloader pouches can fit the A17 magazine 10rd. I use them for the 10/22 magazine aswell. Makes things handy when walking the property. Im not really seeing any advantage to the 22lr anymore, other than the challenge. Popping swamp rats at 150-200yds with a rim fire is going to be a thing now šŸ˜. They're slightly smaller than squirrels, most of the time.
Havent recovered any rounds yet, but the damage is remarkable with 15.5gr & 17gr tipped ammo. Havent used 20gr or hollow/soft point rds for anything other than paper.

Last edited:
Got bored and found some spray paint
20230417_151055.jpg
20230417_151030.jpg

Back