Seeking TIN copper color lower kit

The other, more pain in the butt method, is to pull the parts out while just past tacked stage. Remove the holding mechanism, and spray another light coat. With this method you get full coverage but would still see small surface irregularities.
My $0.02? Method two isn’t worth it for something like a pin…
This is what I was thinking is that you would have to physically support the piece and move it or roll it around while it was tacking up at some stage, but that method wasn't adding up in my head as it would just screw it up worse than leaving one area uncoated.
Thanks for the explanation.

What you were missing is that cerakote h series oven cures. So once it gets the the stage of cure that it won’t mar the surface to touch, but not long enough of a cure to introduce adhesion issues, you’re good to go to mess with it. Put stencils, steel wool it, all sorts of stuff. The only visible impact of moving the attachment point would be where finish built up at the edges of said attachment point and where you have one coat vs two once done.

What you were missing is that cerakote h series oven cures. So once it gets the the stage of cure that it won’t mar the surface to touch, but not long enough of a cure to introduce adhesion issues, you’re good to go to mess with it. Put stencils, steel wool it, all sorts of stuff. The only visible impact of moving the attachment point would be where finish built up at the edges of said attachment point and where you have one coat vs two once done.
Thanks for your input. Grateful.

I started to ask you a few other questions, but decided to look online for mill thickness and other wear traits of cerakote. I found this video if other folk want to check it out. It compares wear ratings for a variety of gun coatings side-by-side.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksj-XJzVQik

One of my questions I had previous to the video was how thick is cerakote after spraying and it's viscosity traits. Looks like the video covers a decent portion of my questions I had.

Is the viscosity of the sprayed and mixed cerakote material thin or thick and what size tip is used? Tip size would tell me a lot about the spray characteristics based on my previous painting experience.

I'm curious how you cerakote something as small as pins without leaving marks in the coating. When painting, you have to support the pins in some fashion as the coating dries. I have never cerakoted, but I've painted with automotive air guns large compressors and rigged together decent spray booths. I always typically have had a way to hang a part with wire. However, putting paint on something as small as a 2mm, 3mm or 4mm pin and laying it on a surface to dry would leave marks in the coating and I don't see how you can readily hang something that small.

Would drying the pin by laying it on a surface leave a blemish and mark in the cerakote?
Most of the small parts I have cerakoted had some means of hanging them with a thin wire. Basically, a hole. Pins I have done only once. I used a bobby pin to hold the part and stuck the rounded end of the bobby pin into a small piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it. So, basically ... the bobby pin stands straight up and holds the part. Of course, there's a thin line of uncoated area where the bobby pin clamps onto the part but that is never seen when the part is installed.

NOTE: There's little blob of plastic on the ends of bobby pins. That melts in the oven. Best to remove it before spraying.

Cerakote is pretty thin if you apply it correctly and I didnt have an issue with increasing the diameter of the pin with the coating. Spray paint... I think I'll need to go with a couple of very light coats. I'm about to find out.

A penny for your thoughts. Copper.

Corbin slide and ported barrel
Black Yikes connector
Shadow Systems lower kit + trigger
NDZ pin kit w/slide release

IMG_0912.jpeg
IMG_0913.jpeg

Last edited:
I
Where’d ya end up? eBay? Or cerakoting?
I called NDZ. All they had was a 3 pin set with slide release. I painted the ends of the fourth pin with a metallic copper Sharpie!

It looks better in person than in the photos. I didn't take any time to make it look good or seek better lighting. It's a G17 slide BTW.

Last edited:
Back