Serialized P80 PFC9 - EDC Build Diary

I went to the local outdoor range today. They have much better benches than the indoor range. So, I could use my pistol bench rest to tweak the new optic zero at 25 yards.
This is the range (on a different day with a different gun):
Pistol-Bench-Rest.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I had to learn how to shoot on a bench rest. It's actually a "whole other thing." Even with the bench rest, I was shooting "all over the place." Especially with the FMJ ammo. Finally, I loaded up some defensive HP ammo to do the final adjustments to the Holosun 507.
Target-5.jpg

Eventually, I got consistent groups such that I could make adjustments to the optic. After that, I headed over to the 10 yard range for some offhand shooting.
20221002_103243[1].jpg

I now have 1500 rounds through this build. 1,130 since the last malfunction. I think this baby is ready to go! I'm very pleased with this build.

Now I wait for the holster. I am quite happy with this build! Looking forward to it becoming my EDC and getting better at shooting it.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if that particular 147gr round that got stuck, was due to the bullet somewhat engaged with the barrel rifling, that really seated how hard when the slide fed it. I don’t suppose you found any marks on the case after ejection, suggesting an issue with the chamber itself? Everything else fed fine, so maybe that particular cartridge had a bullet seating depth a little “off” or just a tad shallower than its siblings? Just thinking out loud here. That thing is doing great. Great job, Racer88! Those fibre optic sights are a hoot, aren’t they? I like that upside down chevron on the Holosun.

I’m wondering if that particular 147gr round that got stuck, was due to the bullet somewhat engaged with the barrel rifling, that really seated how hard when the slide fed it. I don’t suppose you found any marks on the case after ejection, suggesting an issue with the chamber itself? Everything else fed fine, so maybe that particular cartridge had a bullet seating depth a little “off” or just a tad shallower than its siblings? Just thinking out loud here. That thing is doing great. Great job, Racer88! Those fibre optic sights are a hoot, aren’t they? I like that upside down chevron on the Holosun.

Yes. See this thread:
Test your defensive ammo! Assume nothing!

As an interesting test, try running steel and aluminum through your EDC. I have two builds that had some issues with aluminum, one vastly much more so than the other, yet the Glocks ate everything fine. I don't know where the variable lies completely, but I can say the P80 slide & P80 barrel were much more reliable than a Spinta slide using a Glock, or aftermarket barrel while shooting aluminum.
In other words, the Spinta slide, which had been very reliable, all of a sudden became a problem child shooting Blazer aluminum. The barrel being OE or aftermarket seemed to make no difference.
I swapped slides and the malfunctions followed the Spinta slide, but only using aluminum. I even put a Glock slide on the suspected frame, yet it did great, so the Spinta slide started to stick out.
I know you might say, "I don't shoot aluminum," but it's worth seeing if your EDC will shoot them correctly.
Sometimes I tell myself that I should sell my Glocks, and just keep the PMF, but my PMF's have been mostly reliable. Mostly isn't a confidence building word. The problems seem to only come when using aluminum, but again, my Glocks eat them fine. It's hard to sell a Glock.

If you're ever bored, or have a thorough cleaning day with more than one pistol, it'd be interesting to see if your serialized frame's rails just drop in with aligned holes in your other frames.

I wanted a hybrid (leather / kydex) holster, so there were very few to choose from. Of my 2 preferred companies... Crossbreed doesn't make P80 holsters, and White Hat Holsters went out of business. After searching around, I settled on Vedder Holsters. Hopefully, they will be as good.
I have several holsters from Vedder including a couple for P80s. I've been very happy with them.

I have several holsters from Vedder including a couple for P80s. I've been very happy with them.
Good to hear. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Not so much for the "break-in" process with the leather. My existing hybrid is very well adapted to my body. New holsters take some time.

But, I'm tickled that I think I built the "perfect EDC" (for me).

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Not so much for the "break-in" process with the leather. My existing hybrid is very well adapted to my body. New holsters take some time.

But, I'm tickled that I think I built the "perfect EDC" (for me).
Consider breaking it in with the slide you care the least for.
I've been carrying my G19.3 for less than a month and I can see holster wear already by the muzzle.
Keep the inside of the holster clean too, if you want to minimize things.
I'd bet kydex has less friction, as the locking point seems to be the trigger guard, but leather is very comfortable.

Consider breaking it in with the slide you care the least for.
I've been carrying my G19.3 for less than a month and I can see holster wear already by the muzzle.
Keep the inside of the holster clean too, if you want to minimize things.
I'd bet kydex has less friction, as the locking point seems to be the trigger guard, but leather is very comfortable.

I hear ya. I could do with the slide from my factory Gen Glock 19. But, then I won't be really carrying my new EDC (complete with optic). And, in the end... it's intended to be an EDC. Developing some "patina" on it just adds character. :)

That is extremely cost effective. Very nice gun for a great price.
And then I added the Holosun. And, then I swapped out the rear P80 rails for Rook rails. That bumped up the total cost a bit! Ha! It happens. :)

Just got shipping notice from Vedder (holster)! Should have it by Monday. The last piece of the new EDC puzzle! 🥳🤓

A little update... I blacked out the somewhat obnoxious Holosun logo. Used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. You dab it on and let it sit for 1 minute. Wipe off. Rinse and repeat until the effect you desire is achieved. It took several applications for me. But, it worked a charm! As you can see, it doesn't completely black it out (also depending on the angle of the light). But it tones it down a lot.

I also treated the "ACSS VULCAN" logo. But, I left the model / serial number alone... for comparison.

20221006_162306[1].jpg

Last edited:
A new "photo shoot" with the blacked-out optic.
20221007_085934[1].jpg
20221007_090114[1].jpg
20221007_090129[1].jpg
20221007_090139[1].jpg
20221007_090151[1].jpg
20221007_090200[1].jpg

20221007_090214[1].jpg

I think I need to black out the model and serial number, eh?

Last edited:
Holster is "out for delivery!" Early! Woo-hoooo!

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

I also blacked out the model & serial number.
20221007_090151[1].jpg

Last edited:
I wanted a hybrid (leather / kydex) holster, so there were very few to choose from. Of my 2 preferred companies... Crossbreed doesn't make P80 holsters, and White Hat Holsters went out of business. After searching around, I settled on Vedder Holsters. Hopefully, they will be as good.
When I built the first PF9SS, I couldn't find a kydex holster either. A fellow Mod on the NFA forum makes holsters as a side hustle and made me one molded from a G43. Being the trigger guard is the retention point, and the G43 and P80 guards are different, it wouldn't slide all the way in. A few seconds with a heat gun on low focused on the trigger guard area only while pressing the gun into the holster did the trick. Now it fits like it was made for it. The secret is to use just enough heat to allow the gun to enter all the way and no more. Don't hold the heat gun in one place, wave it back and forth over the trigger guard area on each side until the gun starts to move, then stop. The kydex wants to return to its original shape when heated, so don't overdo it. Only a few seconds is needed.
1665231498103.jpeg

Back