Talk me out of this.

Talk you out of it? OK. Loading looks awkward and I see many opportunities to fuck it up. A 16.5" barrel in 50BMG is a waste of powder and expensive bullets. Cast lead and light loads, you might be on to something. Not too sure you can load light for a 50BMG. It will mess up your hair do. Like the current owner, you are going to fire a few, maybe a dozen rounds and it won't make you giggle anymore. It will be an expensive paper weight in the back of your safe.

Apply the money to a real and useful 50BMG. Or, buy it and shoot it for giggles. Move it along when it isn't fun anymore.

and what did you think about it?

Impractical but fun. The recoil was less than I anticipated. I think with a bipod and the factory minimalist stock it may be a cool range gun. Or engine block splitter ;). I believe in that configuration it doesn’t need a stamp. But I need to confirm. It would be interesting to see how it performs at 1000 yard +

I saw that the maker has a rifle version with collapsing stock, but if I were going that route I’d lean toward Serbu , probably with the 28 or 30 inch barrel.

I also like Serbu because the founder told the NYPD to pound sand when they wanted to buy his guns - because they are banned for civilian use in NY. You gotta admire a guy with principles.

Last edited:
Talk you out of it? OK. Loading looks awkward and I see many opportunities to fuck it up. A 16.5" barrel in 50BMG is a waste of powder and expensive bullets. Cast lead and light loads, you might be on to something. Not too sure you can load light for a 50BMG. It will mess up your hair do. Like the current owner, you are going to fire a few, maybe a dozen rounds and it won't make you giggle anymore. It will be an expensive paper weight in the back of your safe.

Apply the money to a real and useful 50BMG. Or, buy it and shoot it for giggles. Move it along when it isn't fun anymore.
Definitely a novelty. But that’s part of its charm. I’m not doing hand loading any time soon. I have dabbled in it when I was actively shooting bench rest. It’s a good skill to have but it does not pump my nads.

I agree a short barrel on such a substantial round is not optimal. But neither is an AR pistol in 5.56 or .223. It’s a flamethrower. The powder is still burning five feet after the round has left the barrel. But a lot of people build or buy one.

I agree 100% guns like this lose their fun factor quickly. From a collectible perspective I like it though. I have enough practical, useful firearms. These days I’m more into oddities. Unusual designs.

Last edited:
I'd ask the guy to shoot it one more time (say you'll pay for the ammo). you will probably have got your yayas out, pass on the deal then go buy a Serbu with some kind of length to the barrel.

.50BMG is for shooting: large airplanes out of the sky, armored trucks off the road, pirates to the bottom of the sea and/or some asshole from a mile away. ;)

I'd ask the guy to shoot it one more time (say you'll pay for the ammo). you will probably have got your yayas out, pass on the deal then go buy a Serbu with some kind of length to the barrel.

.50BMG is for shooting: large airplanes out of the sky, armored trucks off the road, pirates to the bottom of the sea and/or some asshole from a mile away. ;)
I'm on the fence. Go for the oddball or just get a 'regular' 50 BMG long gun. Which would I shoot the most? Probably neither one very often. The dude has to come down on price though, I can buy NIB for what he's asking. Glad I didn't make an impulse buy on the spot.

As I mentioned previously, I constantly think about what I would need if I had to defend myself in one situation or another. In this case, it's the ranch or homestead as some prefer to call home. I come up with three scenarios... in order of precedence.

1. Prowlers looking to steal stuff. (Most likely)
2. Home invader/psycho, possibly more than one. (Possible)
3. Some kind of organized assault. (Extremely unlikely)

You can't easily get to my place without a vehicle. Nobody is going to park down the hill, steal stuff, and haul it 200 yards to their vehicle. A psycho might park elsewhere and attempt to approach the home stealthily. The 75 yard grassy no mans land between the woods and my home makes avoiding a rifle round in the chest or head pretty difficult. My perimeter security would alert me if someone was milling around out there. I can easily make a 100 yard kill shot with a factory rifle and modest scope in 15 seconds or less. Ask any varmint in my area. They talk about me around their campfires.
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 10.48.04 AM.png

Beware The Bongo, my son!

My #1 reason for considering a 50 cal option is to disable a vehicle. As an anti-personnel weapon it has limited use in my forested abode. Urban, it is better suited. You can shoot thru walls. My internal debate is which 50 BMG weapon is the fastest and easiest to grab and disable an engine or liquify everyone sitting inside a vehicle. Thus the convenience and rapid deployment of a shorter, bolt action. My 50AE Deagle can shoot thru a cinderblock and keep going. That's good enough if your target is a meat bag, but I have doubts it's got enough velocity to disable a vehicle.

Armored vehicles or aircraft? Finding myself in that situation I'd suggest accepting being outgunned and surrender. Or say a prayer because you are about to be killed. I feel certain there are no virgins, eternal bliss, milk and honey, or sweet wine waiting for us in the hereafter. I've often pondered death and concluded that it is no fun at all. Best to live to fight another day.

Last edited:
The seller is not responding to my txts so I guess this deal isnt happening. I think he was looking for a sucker to pay him retail or perhaps more than he paid. That ain't happening with me.

I'm looking at GB and the maker (you can order direct). There are some slight discounts on GB for NIB and it includes the minimalist stock. Which answers the question about a stamp. It's just long enough to be a rifle.

I found the Noreen mini 50 BMG at a good price with free shipping, no credit card charge and no sales tax. Went for it. I had a credit with Gunmag Wearhouse so I bought 30 rounds of 50 BMG. Not too bad... On sale $39 for a box with 10 rounds. I have no need right now for the match grade ammo, which is 90 bucks for 10 rounds.

I need to find a good bipod on sale. A 'regular' bipod isn't going to cut it. Need to get an Accu-Tac HD 50. Made for 50 cal. I will put a scope on the gun. Most likely Leupold, maybe Nighthawk. The glass needs to be good enough to handle the massive recoil and still hold zero. Both the bipod and scope are not going to be cheap, but they can be used with any gun if I decide to sell this one. I dont think I will. It uniquely meets my requirements as a transportable, rapid deployment vehicle disabler.

BOOM! Cracked block.

I'm going to try and find a junk yard that will let me shoot this gun into a vehicle just to see what happens. I dont want to buy a wreck, tow it onto my property and fill it full of holes. The wife already said no junk cars on our little slice of Heaven and I am inclined to agree. We ain't country. We just live there.

Last edited:
Correction: Jim Reeves Nicholas C of TFB did a review of that one in one of his TFB posts last year:

Last edited:
I don't have any idea what velocity one gets with a 16 inch barrel but if it is over 2200ft/sec with standard ball ammo, you would need a 460 Weatherby Mag to match the energy. I doubt specialty bullets in .458" are available that can do what specialty 50 BMG bullets can do.

I tried to talk you out of it but if it does what you envision for it, there is nothing close.

I don't have any idea what velocity one gets with a 16 inch barrel but if it is over 2200ft/sec with standard ball ammo, you would need a 460 Weatherby Mag to match the energy. I doubt specialty bullets in .458" are available that can do what specialty 50 BMG bullets can do.

I tried to talk you out of it but if it does what you envision for it, there is nothing close.
There's no ballistic data I could find on anything shorter than 28 inches. At 16.5 inches I'll have to chrono it myself I guess. I did get some unscientific affirmation on the weight and velocity of the 50 BMG being able to cause enough damage to stop an engine, See pic. I think this kind of damage would be hard to achieve with a big bore pistol round fired thru any type of gun. Or hunting rifle calibers. The engine stopped running on impact from a 50 BMG. Where the projectile went after penetrating this water pump housing is unknown.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.54.54 PM.png

Will the short barrel penalty (vs. 28 inch or longer) and the subsequent reduction of somewhere between 12-24 fps matter? My guess is no.

The down side of the traditional 50 BMG long gun is you really need to be prone or on a shooting platform of some kind to properly get a shot off. These types of firearms are obviously big and heavy. My focus isn't about shooting groups on paper or ringing steel at 1000+ yards. Or spending 20 minutes reading my Kestrel, doing ballistics calculations and sighting in the gun. Instead of all that, the challenge is ... Can I rapidly grab the gun then make the shot that causes all the coolant and oil run out on the ground, damage the timing belt or chain, or cause loss of compression. Every time. No maybes. If so, the shortie did its job.

There's so many airsoft commandos online with opinions on this! I had to wade thru a lot of BS from Bubbas and "experts" whose combat experience is World of Warcraft to find anything halfway credible. Many say a 308 or 44 Mag can disable a vehicle but that's mostly just a lot of talk from people who have never done it. It's like reading debates between ten year olds about which Marvel character would win in a fight. My aim was to find the ultimate, rapid deployment, one shot and done vehicle killer solution.

Last edited:
My aim was to find the ultimate, rapid deployment, one shot and done vehicle killer solution.
Other than an RPG, I don't think there is a one and done solution. There are one and maybe solutions... :unsure:

Even a .22LR could stop a vehicle with a well placed shot to the battery. But the ultimate suburban assault vehicle would be an older diesel with mechanical injection and manual pump inlet operation. If one were to up-armor the vitals around the engine, cabin, etc., that might be a challenge to knock out, even with a .50BMG... ;)

Other than an RPG, I don't think there is a one and done solution. There are one and maybe solutions... :unsure:

Even a .22LR could stop a vehicle with a well placed shot to the battery. But the ultimate suburban assault vehicle would be an older diesel with mechanical injection and manual pump inlet operation. If one were to up-armor the vitals around the engine, cabin, etc., that might be a challenge to knock out, even with a .50BMG... ;)
Nobody would know where the battery is and be sure to hit it. In any caliber. A 22 probably would not penetrate the metal body, plastic, etc between the muzzle and target - and still have enough velocity to damage the battery. You would have to be really lucky.

I'm not too concerned about the perp having an armored vehicle. Or smart enough to retrofit his vehicle with an old diesel. But if that were the case, I'd begin by putting a round in the driver's head. Then he would be a dead smart guy.

The bottom line for me is the 50 BMG has the velocity and weight to penetrate any non military vehicle and do some serious damage. Any hit on an engine block with this round and it's game over for the vehicle. Browning designed the round to take out armored vehicles back in the day and even though armor is better now, the 50 BMG is still widely used by armed forces to neutralize or destroy light armored vehicles, equipment, and fortified positions. Typically vehicle mounted. I'm not worried about a bad guy's vehicle surviving a well placed hit. Shot placement always matters. No matter what caliber.

Regular cars and trucks are optimized for light weight. I've seen AR rounds go in one door and stick in the opposite side. AK rounds tend to go in one door and thru the other. I know this because I had one pass thru my left calf, miraculously not hitting the guy sitting next to me as it went out the other side of the vehicle.

Rifles, pistols and their ammo are meant for damaging the pink squishy stuff inside animals and humans. The 50 BMG is mainly about destroying equipment. That was its intended purpose.

Fun fact: From the outside, a rifle or pistol round striking a typical vehicle with a slanted, slightly curved windshield tends to sharply deflect downward after it passes thru the glass. The opposite is true when you are shooting from inside the vehicle thru the windshield. The round deflects up as it exits the glass. In both cases subsequent rounds tend to stay on a relatively straight trajectory once the glass has been broken (weakened) by the first round.

Last edited:
On its way. Just got the ship notice.

Can't wait for it to arrive. Like I mentioned, the recoil on the one I shot at the range wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I dont know what loads that guy was using. I bought some PMC ammo - 660 grain FMJ boat tail - for the gun's debut. My outdoor range kinda sorta doesn't want people shooting 50's, but if there aren't many people there they relax a bit. If I go during the week and there's no match or instructor activity, the place will be empty. Even better if it's overcast or drizzling.

I'm going to temporarily put a Vortex scope on it. I had it on a Henry 44 mag and it faithfully held zero after many, many rounds. If it holds up on the 50 BMG my loyalty to Vortex optics will be further validated. Nightforce and Leupold are my top end go-to glass, but on less expensive guns I have repeatedly used Vortex and never been disappointed in the performance or ruggedness of their products. Their red (and green) dots too. Work great, never let you down and like Vortex scopes they are very affordable.

I'm anxious to see what the gun is like with the minimalist stock. Can it really be fired from the shoulder? A 50 cal with a wire stock... makes you go hmmm... but we'll see. It's easy to remove and I can always revert to the Shockwave-style shoot from the hip form.

Schweet Noreen! The Leapers big bore bipod is more than adequate. I took a chance on it, wondering if it was going to be flimsy. Not at all. It's all metal and quite meaty.

The thin, wire style stock (actually it's cast aluminum) is a non starter. I'm a fan of A3 stocks and braces. Looking at them and also Noreen's sniper-style stock. It looks good but is pricey. I dont want any plastic on this gun so an AR style stock with a Picatinny adapter is not an option. Most A3's are folders. It would probably be OK, but given the recoil I'm not sure I want a hinge on the stock.

I'm putting Leupold HD4 glass on this. I was going to temporarily install a Vortex I had on hand, which would have been OK, but I didn't have a suitable 30mm offset scope mount for it. So I ordered the Leupold scope and rings/mount together. It should arrive in a few days. The Leupold will take a beating and hold zero, but you cant cheap out on the mount and expect a scope to perform on a gun like this.

I took a couple of shots off a bag before the bipod arrived. I pointed it west-northwest. I'm pretty sure the rounds landed somewhere in Iowa. :) I'm not nuts about the grip. I'll replace that soon with Luth AR chubby.
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 6.15.05 AM.png

Last edited:
Schweet Noreen! The Leapers big bore bipod is more than adequate. I took a chance on it, wondering if it was going to be flimsy. Not at all. It's all metal and quite meaty.

The thin, wire style stock (actually it's cast aluminum) is a non starter. I'm a fan of A3 stocks and braces. Looking at them and also Noreen's sniper-style stock. It looks good but is pricey. I dont want any plastic on this gun so an AR style stock with a Picatinny adapter is not an option. Most A3's are folders. It would probably be OK, but given the recoil I'm not sure I want a hinge on the stock.

I'm putting Leupold HD4 glass on this. I was going to temporarily install a Vortex I had on hand, which would have been OK, but I didn't have a suitable 30mm offset scope mount for it. So I ordered the Leupold scope and rings/mount together. It should arrive in a few days. The Leupold will take a beating and hold zero, but you cant cheap out on the mount and expect a scope to perform on a gun like this.

I took a couple of shots off a bag before the bipod arrived. I pointed it west-northwest. I'm pretty sure the rounds landed somewhere in Iowa. :) I'm not nuts about the grip. I'll replace that soon with Luth AR chubby.
View attachment 19050
Agree on the grip.

I was going to suggest running a few rounds over a chronograph but I saw a YouTube video where the guy progressively shortened the barrel. Somewhere around 20", the muzzle blast destroyed his chronograph. No fps readings.

You would need a lab radar or the fancy new Garmin offering. Not sure those would be safe even behind the gun.

I was going to suggest running a few rounds over a chronograph but I saw a YouTube video where the guy progressively shortened the barrel. Somewhere around 20", the muzzle blast destroyed his chronograph. No fps readings.

You would need a lab radar or the fancy new Garmin offering. Not sure those would be safe even behind the gun.
I've thought about the Garmin. Newer technology. Early reviews have been good, but reviews on new stuff are often are fawning. I'll give it some time. The muzzle brake on the Noreen is huge and pretty effective. The Garmin chrono can be up to 15 inches from the muzzle and doesn't need to be in front of it. Doppler radar vs. the magnetic/optical type. You just point it at the target. Very cool. Definitely on my Christmas list.

I'm not terribly concerned about velocity. The intended purpose is to cause vehicular trauma within 500 yards. Should be no problem at that distance. It would be interesting to quantify velocity w/r/t the short barrel though. I don't do hand loads so measuring velocity has only a marginal interest. I have done it, can do it, but the data has historically been of little value to me. What I really want is a vehicle to shoot at. Wife says no junk cars on the property and I am inclined to agree. I spent nearly two years taming the wilderness to make it look the way I wanted. A good compromise is a derelict engine block I can dispose of when the fun has ended. I'll make a junk yard run after the scope arrives and prepare to do some destructive testing.

No big rush. I have no place to go and all day to get there.

Last edited:
Almost ever article you read about reloading and a chronograph involves using it to extract every last fps out of your load. I always used it more like a torque wrench. I wanted to verify what I was doing. If the book said it was an 850fps load, I wanted to see if I was close. If it wasn't close, it was time to investigate.
Max loads rarely seemed to be where my sweet spot was. Others think max is a good starting point. I have one .308 load that prints under an inch and are about 2700fps. Max for this load is just over 2850fps. At the higher speed, it prints 4". I'll give up 100fps for a 4x reduction in group size every day. As a bonus, it is very comfortable to shoot and cycles my gas gun just peachy. Double bonus is that it doesn't beat the shit out of the gun.

As for the 50BMG in that short barrel, I would just want to know what kind of velocity and energy I was getting. Not really any published data for that barrel length. If it turned out to be no better than say a 50AE, why bother with the extra expense of 50BMG?

Almost ever article you read about reloading and a chronograph involves using it to extract every last fps out of your load. I always used it more like a torque wrench. I wanted to verify what I was doing. If the book said it was an 850fps load, I wanted to see if I was close. If it wasn't close, it was time to investigate.
Max loads rarely seemed to be where my sweet spot was. Others think max is a good starting point. I have one .308 load that prints under an inch and are about 2700fps. Max for this load is just over 2850fps. At the higher speed, it prints 4". I'll give up 100fps for a 4x reduction in group size every day. As a bonus, it is very comfortable to shoot and cycles my gas gun just peachy. Double bonus is that it doesn't beat the shit out of the gun.

As for the 50BMG in that short barrel, I would just want to know what kind of velocity and energy I was getting. Not really any published data for that barrel length. If it turned out to be no better than say a 50AE, why bother with the extra expense of 50BMG?
Valid points. 50 BMG vs 50 AE? Mass. Let's say velocity is the same - just for the sake of discussion. A heavier projectile moving at the same speed should wreak more havoc on whatever it hits.

My elk hunting bros debate the case for lighter/faster rounds vs. slower/heavier like it's their job. A faster, smaller round has kinetic energy on its side. A heavier one has the advantage of better penetration. Hollow points on slower, heavier rounds tend to expand better. Or so it is said around the campfire after the bourbon begins to take effect. :)

I've seen armor piercing rounds in 50 BMG but not 50 AE. Unnecessary for my purposes but it's out there. Facing an adversary with armored vehicles... I subscribe to the school of 3R's. Run Run Run. :)

Back