That Feel When...

no4mk1t

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
So, this is a place to vent.
Vent your frustrations, your anger, your disappointment.
It is also a place to celebrate your triumphs, your accomplishments, and your victories over the forces of evil at home, in the workplace or in public.
In short, anything you wish to announce to the world whether it be a lament or a conquest.

Here's mine:

TFW...
You wake up in the morning Sunday and the house feels a bit cool.
As the day progresses, you note the temp gradually falling and know there is something wrong with the heat pump.
A check of the breaker panel shows the 50A breaker for the outside unit is tripped. Turn the unit off at the thermostat, and it resets, but trips as soon as you turn the thermostat back on.
This is not completely unexpected. I just wish it would have happened in April instead of January. The heat pump was installed in either 1990 or 1991, I don't remember. So, I have been waiting for this day to come, but I got more than my monies worth being heat pump life expectancy is 18-22 years.

Got the first quote on a new system. Just shy of $11K. Waiting on another estimate from a second guy.
As a parting shot, the electric bill came today, and the old unit ran the bill up to $442 before it shit the bed. (it's usually about $250-$275)

So, for now, we're effectively "glamping" with portable heaters to get by. Makes me glad I didn't live back in times when houses had only a fireplace.
On the bright side, thank goodness the weather has been mild. I look forward to the increased efficiency that 30+ years of advancement offers. The new unit is supposed to blow warmer air than the old and lower the electric bill. I look forward to being convinced on both counts. :unsure:

So, this is a place to vent.
Vent your frustrations, your anger, your disappointment.
It is also a place to celebrate your triumphs, your accomplishments, and your victories over the forces of evil at home, in the workplace or in public.
In short, anything you wish to announce to the world whether it be a lament or a conquest.

Here's mine:

TFW...
You wake up in the morning Sunday and the house feels a bit cool.
As the day progresses, you note the temp gradually falling and know there is something wrong with the heat pump.
A check of the breaker panel shows the 50A breaker for the outside unit is tripped. Turn the unit off at the thermostat, and it resets, but trips as soon as you turn the thermostat back on.
This is not completely unexpected. I just wish it would have happened in April instead of January. The heat pump was installed in either 1990 or 1991, I don't remember. So, I have been waiting for this day to come, but I got more than my monies worth being heat pump life expectancy is 18-22 years.

Got the first quote on a new system. Just shy of $11K. Waiting on another estimate from a second guy.
As a parting shot, the electric bill came today, and the old unit ran the bill up to $442 before it shit the bed. (it's usually about $250-$275)

So, for now, we're effectively "glamping" with portable heaters to get by. Makes me glad I didn't live back in times when houses had only a fireplace.
On the bright side, thank goodness the weather has been mild. I look forward to the increased efficiency that 30+ years of advancement offers. The new unit is supposed to blow warmer air than the old and lower the electric bill. I look forward to being convinced on both counts. :unsure:

What a pain...

Back in the Fall we had one abnormally warm day(we had already turned the A/C off because of falling temps), so my wife turned the A/C on for this warm day. Problem was, the was still warm, finally sometime in the afternoon I go down to the basement to find the coils all frozen up. This unit was installed back in '96 when the house was built. At one point probably 10+ years ago we had come home from being overseas for 2 weeks, about 4 am we both woke up sweating(probably August, if I remember correctly). The thing was frozen up at that time too. I had a friend who came out and recharged the system for us, and it has worked since, except for those 2-3 times I have had to replace the capacitor over the years. So I too feel like we have gotten our use out of it, but come spring I am pretty sure the thing is going to need to be replaced.

I havent even bothered with quotes yet, since the heating side of it is still working

So, it turned out the first estimate was the best one. 10 years parts and labor. Zero percent financing for 36 months.
Installation is scheduled for Wednesday. They claim they can do it in a day. We'll see. I do not have good luck when it comes to things like this, so I will not be surprised when they tell me they will have to come back Thursday with another part or something.

Back