That's a HUGE ASS mountain lion!

USApat

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
derekwolfe_95's profile picture

derekwolfe_95

*Predator Control* 🚨 Late Tuesday night I got a call from @huntnest to see if I wanted to stalk a giant Tom (male mountain lion) who has been wreaking havoc in a rural neighborhood. He had already killed two of her dogs and was living under her porch, nervous what he might do next. We found a fresh 4x4 mule deer he had just killed. We hiked straight up 2500ft and down the other side, then back up again, back down the other side and then back up again to 9600ft. Exhausted,dehydrated,cramping I drew back my @hoytbowhunting and sent an @sevrbroadheads through him. Then I had to crawl backwards down the mountain with him to get him to the truck I fell 10ft off a rock face on

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cnm8rzyPS7r/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=561914ba-a4c3-4b6f-a950-e4fc989db12c

As a side note, who carries on the property where they live, either private or public?

I do on occasion when taking out the trash or rolling the can down to the gate late at night. It's a long roll and many deer are contained within the fence line and there are often packs of coyotes yelping in the night typically further away. I should carry more, just for that fact alone.

Another issue that folks aren't typically concerned about are snakes at night. Rattlers love the dusk and night in the Spring and the Fall. If you've ever had the unfortunate situation of having active snake dens on your property, then you will be acutely aware of the snake problems at dusk and night.

Where I used to live, I would have them taking a "moon bath" on the steps leading into the screened back porch! Also, waiting at the corners of the house laying in wait for critters to eat and snap at. Spooky situation there!

They would also find their way into the shop and on one instance I opened the shop door to see one coiled right there one foot into the doorway where I would step. But, the shakiest situation was when I went to a shelf rack full of bolt bins to get a bolt one day and there was a rattler coiled up on the yellow plastic bins directly eye level at the 5 foot level. He was flicking his tongue in and out! I took him out with a 22 cal pellet gun on the rack. I eventually moved away from that place because it was almost unlivable due to the snakes lliving on the property! You would roll up to the gate in your car and get out to open the gate and hear all the rattlers shaking their tails off in the taller grass to the left and right of the gate! Every night!

As a side note, who carries on the property where they live, either private or public?

I've run into multiple coyotes, one at very close range - about 6 feet - while walking the dog. My dog flushed him out of the brushline at the rear of our lot. It lunged straight out at us and then made a 90-degree turn and ran away from us. Scared the bejeesus out of me!

Then, there is a wildlife sanctuary, with some dangerous critters, not far from our house. They've never had an escape that I know of, but....

If I step outside the house, I'm carrying.

I do on occasion when taking out the trash or rolling the can down to the gate late at night. It's a long roll and many deer are contained within the fence line and there are often packs of coyotes yelping in the night typically further away. I should carry more, just for that fact alone.

Another issue that folks aren't typically concerned about are snakes at night. Rattlers love the dusk and night in the Spring and the Fall. If you've ever had the unfortunate situation of having active snake dens on your property, then you will be acutely aware of the snake problems at dusk and night.

Where I used to live, I would have them taking a "moon bath" on the steps leading into the screened back porch! Also, waiting at the corners of the house laying in wait for critters to eat and snap at. Spooky situation there!

They would also find their way into the shop and on one instance I opened the shop door to see one coiled right there one foot into the doorway where I would step. But, the shakiest situation was when I went to a shelf rack full of bolt bins to get a bolt one day and there was a rattler coiled up on the yellow plastic bins directly eye level at the 5 foot level. He was flicking his tongue in and out! I took him out with a 22 cal pellet gun on the rack. I eventually moved away from that place because it was almost unlivable due to the snakes lliving on the property! You would roll up to the gate in your car and get out to open the gate and hear all the rattlers shaking their tails off in the taller grass to the left and right of the gate! Every night!
I live outside of Baton Rouge in Gonzales, (#9 Most dangerous city in Louisiana), and work in Baton Rouge #2 Most dangerous city in La)... I carry daily, and keep a Glock 29 under my pillow at night. Lol

I live outside of Baton Rouge in Gonzales, (#9 Most dangerous city in Louisiana), and work in Baton Rouge #2 Most dangerous city in La)... I carry daily, and keep a Glock 29 under my pillow at night. Lol
Naw! Not under your pillow. That's gotta be a joke. That's straight out of a movie! I hope you don't have bad dreams very often with your arms moving around!
Can I send you my name and my city so that you can enter it into your Will somewhere? LOL.

Last edited:
Damn brother, That thing looks freakishly massive...Did you get any stats on it, like weight?
I'm also carrying when I leave the house. I don't have one under my pillow, but close enuf.

Naw! Not under your pillow. That's gotta be a joke. That's straight out of a movie! I hope you don't have bad dreams very often with your arms moving around!
Can I send you my name and my city so that you can enter it into your Will somewhere? LOL.
Nah, according to the wife I'm a pretty calm sleeper. Glock 29 stays close enough to me that you can consider it under my pillow I guess. It's a little overkill honestly being as the biggest threat I likely would have within a 15-20 mile radius of my house would be a coyote or a bobcat, but yeah...

We're on 2 acres on the SW edge of Grants Pass...yes, I have seen a mountain lion on our property...I was stunned to see it and it was scrambling away very quickly. It marked our driveway with feces not once, but twice. And yes, it's cat scat. BIG cat scat.

Itt's been here more than once over the past 12 months or so. It's taken-out a few of our neighbor's chickens that just 'disappeared' since it showed-up....as a result I generally never go outside anymore without a sidearm loaded with the heavier hollow points...9mm or .40. And I don't like my wife going out at dusk whatsoever here...or at least be packing some serious heat if she does. We also have black bears, raccoons, foxes, deer, etc that frequent our property. But the Mountain Lions very much concern me.

Yeah I'd worry about a mountain lion more than a black bear for sure. At least black bears will walk off and leave you alone if you're not threatening or don't seem dangerous to them. I've heard mountain lions can get kind of aggressive/vicious... We have Bobcats down here, and they're very timid generally, but God forbid they get pissed off. They can ferocious

We're on 2 acres on the SW edge of Grants Pass...yes, I have seen a mountain lion on our property...I was stunned to see it and it was scrambling away very quickly. It marked our driveway with feces not once, but twice. And yes, it's cat scat. BIG cat scat.

Itt's been here more than once over the past 12 months or so. It's taken-out a few of our neighbor's chickens that just 'disappeared' since it showed-up....as a result I generally never go outside anymore without a sidearm loaded with the heavier hollow points...9mm or .40. And I don't like my wife going out at dusk whatsoever here...or at least be packing some serious heat if she does. We also have black bears, raccoons, foxes, deer, etc that frequent our property. But the Mountain Lions very much concern me.
We spend a fair amount of time in areas similar to where this cat was taken - lions, bears, moose, coyote, and now the wolf is back.

.40 200grn Underwood Hardcast is what we carry in the woods.

/K

I get needing to protect people. At the same time that is a magnificent animal and a shame to see it put down.

@USApat you ever eat any of those rattlers? Heard they taste like chicken ;)

I get needing to protect people. At the same time that is a magnificent animal and a shame to see it put down.
Agreed. But the choice has already been made if put into that situ here, and it's not going to me or my Missus. When they are that close to human habitation, it means they have come down emboldened by hunger...and their natural instinct is to kill and eat that overrides their natural instinct to stay away from populated areas. They do NOT normally like being seen by humans let alone be around humans whatsoever. Hungry predators do desperate things.

Maybe if we would stop procreating all these kids .., and let people die, we wouldn't be overcrowding the damn earth as a whole taking over habitats of other creatures.

Over vent over... Yes I do believe the human race as a whole has severely overpopulated the earth.

Maybe if we would stop procreating all these kids .., and let people die, we wouldn't be overcrowding the damn earth as a whole taking over habitats of other creatures.

Over vent over... Yes I do believe the human race as a whole has severely overpopulated the earth.
You first. snort..

@USApat you ever eat any of those rattlers? Heard they taste like chicken ;)
Nope. Not for me really. I simply do not like snakes at all in any type, form or fashion! Particularly rattlers. I've had enough of them for a lifetime.

I maybe could have made some decent money skinning them, but I tossed them over the fence and they were gone in a day and probably eaten by the owls.

There were a ton of them on the property due to it being a grocery store and food chain for the critters. The property had fifteen large pecan trees about 60 feet tall and a huge corn field on three sides with the adjacent properties. So, the food chain started with mice, rats and rabbits, thus leading to snakes, farm owls and coyotes. The farm owls were absolutely huge. They would rest on a oak tree branch about a foot in diameter and leap off them when I walked near the tree. It was like a child jumping from the limb. A few sweeps of their wings and they soon were airborne as high as the telephone poles. Beautiful to watch. But, creepy to walk around at night on the property as you always hoped they didn't mistake you for food!

Before I moved there, the former owner said he tore down an old house they called the "snake house". He wasn't kidding. I think that's where the dens started decades ago and the rattlers never left the place. It was insane how many rattlers I saw and killed on that property. I could have killed snakes every day if I wanted to. You simply couldn't walk out of the house without a flashlight at night.

I lived there for 3-4 years and glad I moved. But, I loved the place due to the privacy, room for all my projects, the work building, multiple garages, endless pecans, and it was 5 minutes from a major grocery store with no traffic getting there. I really didn't have to leave much because I had everything I needed except for food and gas.

As a final note of caution to folks. I have dealt with enough rattlers to know that the majority of time THEY WILL NOT RATTLE when you first approach them. Only if you startle them, or almost step on them, or back them into a corner will they announce their presence by rattling their tails. At night, they will rattle off in the distance and if you drive up in a car. But for the most part, if they are hunting for food, or laying in wait, they are quiet as church mice until you are upon them. Don't believe the bullshit you hear about them rattling before they strike at you. They might do this, but most of the time they won't.

Last edited:
As a final note of caution to folks. I have dealt with enough rattlers to know that the majority of time THEY WILL NOT RATTLE when you first approach them. Only if you startle them, or almost step on them, or back them into a corner will they announce their presence by rattling their tails. At night, they will rattle off in the distance and if you drive up in a car. But for the most part, if they are hunting for food, or laying in wait, they are quiet as church mice until you are upon them. Don't believe the bullshit you hear about them rattling before they bite you. They might do this, but most of the time they won't.
100% true and should not be ignored. I was raised in the country where there were plenty of rattlesnakes. Sadly, more of those than King Snakes, their nemesis. They won't rattle unless provoked. Myself and a neighbor kid were sitting on a brick-fashioned BBQ one day. He looks at me and says "quit kicking my foot." I wasn't. It happened again, and again I said I didn't do it. He looks down and a baby rattler was tagging the bottom of his tennis shoe, trying to bite him. Granted, he had just a button, but stilll...another time in the same area, my dad comes running in the house white as a sheet and grabs his Colt Python, runs back outside, and BOOM BOOM BOOM....dad had been strolling across the back yard in bare feet and he almost stepped on a 3' rattlesnake. Nary a peep from the snake. Many other instances of similar nature, DANGEROUS. ALWAYS be aware of where you are putting your HANDS, AND your feet, and never do either "blind".
(EDIT)- and they don't rattle (like in movies) as much as the noise they make is a nasty buzz that you won't forget once you hear it in real life

Last edited:
Bad Ass....stand your ground my brother. Some of us are praying for you.

Rant and departure from topic to follow.

While I agree with you that there are too many people around for my taste, the idea that we are over taxing the resources of the earth has been thoroughly debunked. I call it what it is, selfishness about me about having my own space.

There are rich kids all over the world gluing themselves to art gallery walls and rioting in Georgia forests with the intention of taking us back into the dark ages to save us from ourselves. But to a person we see  other people as the biggest problem on earth. Never do we look in the mirror. The truth is human flourishing happened because of human ingenuity and creativity. Let's give those traits freedom rather than applying top down solutions to a problem that does not actually exist.

While I do agree, I'm not a very "peoplely" person. I hate being in crowds, I can't stand large groups of people, and find it sad that 90%+ of our population can't build a fire, find there own food outside of a grocery store, etc... I mean really, nowadays, when people say they're going "camping", what they really mean is they are parking their RV at a parking spot somewhere on a park to bbq and watch the football game... Lol... I've actually heard people say, they "understand what it is to be in nature" while talking about being in their backyard in thier cookie cutter house HOA neighborhood. Lol... But like you said man, it's selfishness. It is one of my faults that I personally recognize and realize I'll never grow out of unfortunately

Back