The History and FUTURE of Glock

Like it or not, Glock's design is here to stay. It will only get better as the patents expire. In a way, we are living in the golden age of the Glock. So many have adopted it, tinkered with it, expanded it, it will just be with us until someone comes up with a new design that is superior in function.

Like it or not, Glock's design is here to stay. It will only get better as the patents expire. In a way, we are living in the golden age of the Glock. So many have adopted it, tinkered with it, expanded it, it will just be with us until someone comes up with a new design that is superior in function.
I think that was his main point in that video. It's a great design that revolutionized the industry!

Also, the fact that Gaston Glock built the first Glock to compete for an Austrian military contract made me think about all the 2A hating Leftists' appeal to emotion fallacy by constantly using their made up term "military style weapon" and here the most well known handgun in the world was designed specifically for military use, like their BS term is supposed to mean civilians shouldn't own such weapons. . . SCROOM!

I think that was his main point in that video. It's a great design that revolutionized the industry!
Yep, I watched it yesterday, and wholeheartedly agree with his conclusion.

Really, I wasn't a fan of combat tupperware. I grew up on steel frame guns. Right up to the point I decided I wanted to build a Polymer80 and extend my middle finger at the gubberment. Just to prove I could. That's when I bought my first Glock. And well, the design kinda grew on me. It is elegant in its simplicity and functionality. There are still things about it I don't like, but it is a pretty good design.

Last edited:
I've owned a lot of Glocks, they are not perfection! there were many problems. Glocks have been overprice from the beginning, just look what you get from PSA with better parts at approx. 1/2 the price. I have not had any problems with the Dagger after thousands of rounds, that weren't ammo related.

Gaston didn't come up with striker fired guns either, HK did nor did they invent non metal frames, HK did. But Glock sure was good at marketing them and the aftermarket jumped in to make them very successful. I not against Glock I just don't think that are a good value. I do prefer the hammer fired HK, FN and CZ guns I own, oh I almost forgot I do like the Shadow Systems Glock clones that I purchased for almost the price of stock Glocks, they are a good value.

I not against Glock I just don't think that are a good value. I do prefer the hammer fired HK, FN and CZ guns I own, oh I almost forgot I do like the Shadow Systems Glock clones that I purchased for almost the price of stock Glocks, they are a good value.

Interesting perspective. :)

I have three Glocks (Gen 2 and Gen 3), and they've been flawless. My very first pistol was a (Gen 2) Glock 19 in 1996. Still have it. The only thing I've had to do is replace a trigger spring that broke at about 9k rounds.

I've heard very mixed reviews on the Shadow Systems clones. Overall good reviews for the PSA clones and that they are a good value.

I've not owned (or even fired) an H&K. They look very nice. :)

I have several FNH guns - two pistols and two rifles. Good stuff. Pricey. But good. No experience with CZs, but they enjoy an excellent reputation. I'd like me one of those orange Shadow 2 CZs! Beautiful gun.

For now, I'm having a ball with my P80 builds.

I've owned a lot of Glocks, they are not perfection! there were many problems. Glocks have been overprice from the beginning, just look what you get from PSA with better parts at approx. 1/2 the price. I have not had any problems with the Dagger after thousands of rounds, that weren't ammo related.

Gaston didn't come up with striker fired guns either, HK did nor did they invent non metal frames, HK did. But Glock sure was good at marketing them and the aftermarket jumped in to make them very successful. I not against Glock I just don't think that are a good value. I do prefer the hammer fired HK, FN and CZ guns I own, oh I almost forgot I do like the Shadow Systems Glock clones that I purchased for almost the price of stock Glocks, they are a good value.
So at least in this thread and in the linked video of the OP, no one called Glocks "perfect" nor said that Glock was first to the market with non-metal (polymer) frames. In fact, the video even mentions HK were the first. :unsure:

So at least in this thread and in the linked video of the OP, no one called Glocks "perfect" nor said that Glock was first to the market with non-metal (polymer) frames. In fact, the video even mentions HK were the first. :unsure:

I think he was referring to the Glock marketing slogan, "Glock Perfection."

I’m good with Glocks as long as I can still get gen3s. They’re still available here. The “improvements” th the gen5s are deal breakers for me. Dual recoil spring on other than subcompacts, ambi slide stop, fat slides on the .40s, changes to the trigger bar and trigger mechanism housing are all unnecessary and undesirable to me.

I think he was referring to the Glock marketing slogan, "Glock Perfection."
Fair enough, but literally NOTHING made by human hands meets a standard of "perfection," even if some things approach it. ;)

I started with one Gen 2 then Gen 3 Glocks, which were a decent guns, had some problems but nothing that couldn't be solved, then moved into Gen 4's, I purchased 2 when they first came out, a big mistake ejection issues that Glock said was ammo related or shooter issues, it wasn't, one had a accuracy issue Then went to Gen5, finish issues, better triggers but couldn't handle the finish issue.
My Shadow Systems MR920/CR920 have never had a issue but have only put about 350 rounds through each them, with out a issue, one still needs more rounds to get the trigger worked out a little but all is good.

I've owned many, many HK's P7, USP, P30, P2000 and now some striker VP9's. Really like HK, very high quality and never had any problems, HK's I'd take to war any time. My FN's follow closely to HK super quality.

The guns that I like for quality, customization and I own the most of are Sigs, the P226 I've owned for decades with some rifles and the P320/P365's these are Modular guns and Modular guns are the future in guns.

Cz P10c/s are hands down the Best Buy in the business and their quality isn't duplicated by anyone for the price and their 75 series all the way through their competition guns are the highest quality.

I jumped into 80% about 4/5 years ago and built a couple out of Glock Gen 3s then I decided I didn't want guns without serial numbers so I took them apart and put all the parts back in my Gen 3s and that was it for 80%. Of coarse now they have serialized guns so maybe I'll try again. I do have Daggers that I enjoy making plus they're cheap to customize plus good guns.

Of coarse this is all IMHO and many decades of having guns as a hobby, or maybe it's a addiction :>)

I started with one Gen 2 then Gen 3 Glocks, which were a decent guns, had some problems but nothing that couldn't be solved, then moved into Gen 4's, I purchased 2 when they first came out, a big mistake ejection issues that Glock said was ammo related or shooter issues, it wasn't, one had a accuracy issue Then went to Gen5, finish issues, better triggers but couldn't handle the finish issue.
My Shadow Systems MR920/CR920 have never had a issue but have only put about 350 rounds through each them, with out a issue, one still needs more rounds to get the trigger worked out a little but all is good.

I've owned many, many HK's P7, USP, P30, P2000 and now some striker VP9's. Really like HK, very high quality and never had any problems, HK's I'd take to war any time. My FN's follow closely to HK super quality.

The guns that I like for quality, customization and I own the most of are Sigs, the P226 I've owned for decades with some rifles and the P320/P365's these are Modular guns and Modular guns are the future in guns.

Cz P10c/s are hands down the Best Buy in the business and their quality isn't duplicated by anyone for the price and their 75 series all the way through their competition guns are the highest quality.

I jumped into 80% about 4/5 years ago and built a couple out of Glock Gen 3s then I decided I didn't want guns without serial numbers so I took them apart and put all the parts back in my Gen 3s and that was it for 80%. Of coarse now they have serialized guns so maybe I'll try again. I do have Daggers that I enjoy making plus they're cheap to customize plus good guns.

Of coarse this is all IMHO and many decades of having guns as a hobby, or maybe it's a addiction :>)
I built just one P80 that is serialized... because I planned to carry it... and wanted to hedge my legal bets.

The rest are unserialized, and I have no concerns about that. They are range toys, for the most part. I have dedicated home defense guns that are factory / serialized... for many years. So, I don't need my P80s to serve in that role, either.

What are your concerns about unserialized PMFs (privately made firearms)?

I do an eye roll when somebody says Glocks of any generation are unreliable. Good grief.

I have a couple of the Shadows. A full size and compact. Well made, and works great, decent trigger. They are a bit more stylish than a Glock but are they fundamentally better? Not really.

The GST9, P80's, and Daggers are fine by me. I own a few. Would I rave about them being way better than a Glock? Not really. Depends on what you mean by better. I enjoy building my own, so the GST9 and P80s have a definite appeal in that regard. The Dagger is a terrific Glock clone and it is hard to beat the price. Good pistol and good value.

If somebody wants a more refined handgun, there are plenty of premium, third-party upgrade options for Glocks. Or you can buy many parts and a frame to craft your masterpiece. If you do it right, it is every bit as reliable as a Glock and probably looks nicer too. but better? Again, what is the definition of better? I think people say better but they mean prefer.

I do an eye roll when somebody says Glocks of any generation are unreliable.

I don't think anyone said they are unreliable. He opined that they were not the proverbial marketing claim of "perfection." Hell, even on GlockTalk, you see criticisms of Glock guns.

When I think about it, ALL my guns are equally reliable... Glock, FNH, Ruger, S&W, Kel-tec, Colt, and even my P80 builds. And I like all of them. None of them would meet a literal definition of "perfection." But they're all quite reliable with so few malfunctions that I can probably count ALL of them on one or two hands over the course of decades. The reality is that any quality modern gun is quite reliable. I will not count malfunctions in the early stages of testing my P80s. A few of them have needed some "tweaking." But once they run.... they RUN.

As for "value," that's in the eye of the beholder. :geek:

When I think about it, ALL my guns are equally reliable... Glock, FNH, Ruger, S&W, Kel-tec, Colt, and even my P80 builds. And I like all of them.
Indeed. The effective range of a defensive handgun is 25 yards or less. Of course, it will shoot well out to 50 yards, some better than others. Beyond 50 yards, it's a good idea to pause a beat and think about why you are pulling the trigger of a defensive handgun.

Accuracy is another topic full of myths. Every handgun made today is accurate to 25 yards. People who vigorously disagree cant accept they are the reason a gun isn't accurate. To remove the human element, I put a collection of six 9mm and .45 guns that I own into my Ransom Rest and shot each into 8-inch paper plate targets at 25 yards, three shots. Every single gun tested put all three rounds in the approximate center of the paper plate within a two-inch group. The deviation of those groups from one gun to another was about half an inch. Summing it up, the $200 Hi-Point Yeet Cannon was spot on with a Beretta 92X that cost $1300. Others were a Glock 17, Kimber Super Ultra Carry +, Ruger 1911, and a P320. The bench I used is rock solid. The RR was bolted down. I used Federal range ammo. It has always been consistent in my experience. One flyer, but I don't remember which gun it was other than it was one of the 9mm. But that was most likely the ammo, not the gun. I was meticulous about making sure the plates were in exactly the same position for every gun.

It is reasonable to conclude that all modern guns regardless of price are accurate within self-defense range. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate a finely made firearm. But if I may use a golf analogy... if you shoot 120 on a par 80, a $5000 set of clubs isn't where you should spend your money nor will it improve your game. A trainer would be a better investment.

Back