TNW Aero Survival Rifle

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
This is a bit of an oddball. After a friend loaned it to me a while back, I made a trade with him. Basically, it's a takedown carbine, designed to be a survival rifle. The cool thing about this gun is it is super easy to change calibers. You just buy a different barrel and in a few cases a different bolt. It takes a couple of minutes. No tools are required.

Mine is a .45 but it's available in all the popular flavors. Including some rifle calibers. I liked it so much I bought another one in 10mm and at the same time ordered the conversion kit so I can also shoot 9mm.

TNW are a small shop in northwest Oregon.

It looks like an AR from 20 feet away but it isn't. It's really built solid and is as rugged as it gets. My .45 has taken a beating. Not finicky about ammo. Even the 10mm eats whatever you put in it. Even cheap S&B range ammo, which tens to jam in every 1911 in 10mm I have ever shot.

Here's the 45. With can. The venerable 45 being subsonic, it is movie, or perhaps better described ... pellet gun quiet. pffft pffft

IMG_1035.jpeg

Best yet, it fits in a backpack and you can assemble it in under a minute. Takes Glock mags - of course.

Last edited:
IMG_1103.jpeg

Here's my other TNW Aero lower, shown with the 9mm and 10mm barrel and 10mm bolt. I'm about to begin experimenting with a folding buffer tube modification but since this is a proprietary design, that my be a challenge. It's not an AR9.

Still, it fits in a backpack but I want to push the limits of concealability with this carbine.

I previously mentioned but it bears repeating this gun is made in gun-hating Oregon by a father and son team.

If it uses a standard AR thread buffer tube, the folding adapter will work. Just can't shoot it folded.
Are all the pistol calibers blowback? Even the 10mm?

If it uses a standard AR thread buffer tube, the folding adapter will work. Just can't shoot it folded.
Are all the pistol calibers blowback? Even the 10mm?
The buffer and spring are not captured like an AR. The buffer extends well into the upper. So no joy on a hinged stock. It won't work without major futzing. I'd have to modify the bolt also. I don't want to kludge it or defeat the purpose of the gun... which is simplicity. It's a survival gun. It's very similar in design to the KelTec Sub 2000, except it's all metal.

Some type of improvised bayonet mount vs. a hinge could work. Or if you wanted to install the buffer and spring on assembly every time that could work. That doesn't seem like a good idea. I am going to look into a different stock. Something smaller - like a Tailhook.

Definitely all blowback. No AR components internally. The 45 has been supremely reliable. The 9mm I haven't put a lot of rounds thru. But I have run about 300 rounds or so using the 10mm bolt and barrel. It barks, but has been reliable.

Last edited:
Back