Trigger Compatibility

SNBI125

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
So I'm trying to finish my first GST-9 build. The last part I had was the trigger, and I seem to be having trouble finding one that works. It seems like maybe the opening that the trigger shoe goes through is a little smaller on this frame than the P80s that I'm used to. I usually have difficulty getting the trigger shoe through the opening, both installing and removing. With one, I had to disconnect the shoe from the bar to get it removed.

And it seems to be affecting the trigger functioning, mainly preventing it from resetting properly, maybe because there isn't enough space for it to move freely. The first trigger I had was the TyrantCNC I.T.T.S. trigger. I had installed one of these in a P80 G17, and had no problems with it. When I tried it in the GST-9, I had the issues I just described. I swapped them out and it was the same - the shoe seems too large for the GST-9 but works fine in the P80. Then I ordered an Overwatch Precision DAT, and it's basically the same issue. I haven't tried putting that one in a P80 yet but I will do so to maybe confirm my suspicions.

To be clear, what happens is 1) with no slide attached, I can't reset the trigger by pushing it forward, which I can do in all my P80s, 2) when dry firing, if I let go of the trigger before racking the slide, it will reset all the way forward. But if I keep the trigger pressed, rack the slide, then release the trigger, it will only come part of the way forward.

Anyone else have similar issues, or have used a trigger that hasn't caused these issues?

Well start by working the Trigger Shoe opening with a small jeweler's file or similar until the Trigger Shoe operates smoothly -try some 400-grit sand-paper wrapped around the small file to smooth the sides of the opening down, work slowly and don't take out any more material than needed. If you are still having reset issues, PARTICULARLY ON A GST-9 FRAME, verify proper Sear engagement. Also know how to check your Trigger Connector function.
Is this a Mod-1 frame, or original release?

Well start by working the Trigger Shoe opening with a small jeweler's file or similar until the Trigger Shoe operates smoothly -try some 400-grit sand-paper wrapped around the small file to smooth the sides of the opening down, work slowly and don't take out any more material than needed. If you are still having reset issues, PARTICULARLY ON A GST-9 FRAME, verify proper Sear engagement. Also know how to check your Trigger Connector function.
Is this a Mod-1 frame, or original release?
Thanks, sounds like that could help. I don't want to keep buying triggers and having to return them.

The sear engagement looks good. I had a trigger bar in this at one point that had almost 0 engagement but I replaced that. The connector function seems good too - I've had that issue before where I had to bend the connector but this one looks like it's at the correct angle. Plus the way this is getting stuck it seems to be all related to the shoe. When I move it the rest of the way forward after it gets stuck, there doesn't appear to be anything moving inside the slide (looking at it from behind with an armorer's backplate).

Still, I won't rule out those possibilities. Before I start filing, I may swap in a couple of trigger shoes that I have that might have a slightly smaller profile than the ones I've used, to see if those make a difference. And yes it's a Mod-1.

So I decided to try one of my other triggers in the GST-9, and swapped in a Wilson Combat trigger from a P80 G19. The reset issue immediately went away while dry firing, and at the range today it went pretty well for what was practically its first shots (not counting a couple trips with major problems). I did have maybe 3-4 F2Ejects but they were all limited to one brand of ammo in one magazine. That is, I had one Glock mag and one P-Mag, and a box each if Federal AE and Blazer. 7 times out of 8 I emptied the magazine (12 or 13 rounds) with 0 failures. All the failures were with the Federal in the P-Mag. I'm not at all unhappy with those results - I've had builds that started off far worse and run perfectly now.

Unfortunately, when I installed the Overwatch Precision trigger in the G19, I basically had the same issue I'd been having with the GST-9. I was thinking I'd probably return it but decided to try it in another build (a P80 G26) in which I'd been using a trigger from a parts kit, and it seems to fit and work in that one, at least while dry firing, and it feels better than the one I had in there before. So I'll need to pick up another trigger for the G19. Everyone seems to be out of at least the flat-face version of the WC trigger, so I'll either have to wait until I can find it or give something else a try.

FWIW, I just installed a OP trigger shoe/bar assy in a GST-9 today. Though I have not been to the range with it yet, it functions perfectly dry-firing and cycling. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. Granted, this is a pre Mod-One frame, but it should make no difference. I've also had the Vickers shoe installed with like success. Hope you get it sorted.

FWIW, I just installed a OP trigger shoe/bar assy in a GST-9 today. Though I have not been to the range with it yet, it functions perfectly dry-firing and cycling. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. Granted, this is a pre Mod-One frame, but it should make no difference. I've also had the Vickers shoe installed with like success. Hope you get it sorted.
Interesting. I wonder if it's some sort of tolerance stacking issue with either my frame, the shoe, or both. Possibly the frame since I've had the issue with two different shoes? In any case, it seems to be sorted out at this point, assuming that the handful of failures that I had just require some additional break-in or minor tweaks to get worked out. I was looking at the Vickers trigger yesterday (for the P80 that I but decided to hold out until I can find the WC one, just because I've used it and like it.

Looking forward to getting back to the range with the G26 and trying it out with the OP trigger.

Following up on this... I ran another 75 rounds through the GST-9 today. It ran really well, although I still had a handful of FTEJs with the same Federal AE ammo and I'm pretty sure the same magazine that gave me trouble last time. 0 failures of any kind with the Federal in the other magazine or with two other brands of ammo, about half in each magazine. Unfortunately I forgot to keep track of which mag it was but I kept both in my range bag and will try again next time. I also took the G26 out for the first time in a while, with the new trigger. I liked it better with the new trigger. I've always somehow shot that gun pretty well but I just can't seem to get my hands, which are probably pretty average size for a 5'11" guy, around that gun comfortably. It will probably never be more than a range toy, but that's ok.

Following up on this... I ran another 75 rounds through the GST-9 today. It ran really well, although I still had a handful of FTEJs with the same Federal AE ammo and I'm pretty sure the same magazine that gave me trouble last time. 0 failures of any kind with the Federal in the other magazine or with two other brands of ammo, about half in each magazine. Unfortunately I forgot to keep track of which mag it was but I kept both in my range bag and will try again next time. I also took the G26 out for the first time in a while, with the new trigger. I liked it better with the new trigger. I've always somehow shot that gun pretty well but I just can't seem to get my hands, which are probably pretty average size for a 5'11" guy, around that gun comfortably. It will probably never be more than a range toy, but that's ok.
Suggestion that worked for me regarding the G26...get a Hogue Handall grip for that sucker, and a mag extension (Strike Industries EMP+ 2 is one) or a OEM 12-round mag, It will really change the sidearm. Night and day. IMO it is an essential piece of kit for the SC. You will find it takes the uncomfortable, squirming tendency and really locks it comfortably into you hand, and eliminates the squirm. It's what, about 15-20 bucks. Give it a try.

Good news on the GST-9!! If you're interested, watch for ROOK Tactical to release a pin set for the GST-9.

Suggestion that worked for me regarding the G26...get a Hogue Handall grip for that sucker, and a mag extension (Strike Industries EMP+ 2 is one) or a OEM 12-round mag, It will really change the sidearm. Night and day. IMO it is an essential piece of kit for the SC. You will find it takes the uncomfortable, squirming tendency and really locks it comfortably into you hand, and eliminates the squirm. It's what, about 15-20 bucks. Give it a try.

Good news on the GST-9!! If you're interested, watch for ROOK Tactical to release a pin set for the GST-9.
Thanks for the suggestion... I do use an OEM 12-round mag which helps, but yeah "squirmy" is the perfect description, even with the extended mag. I almost never use the flush 10-rounder. I will check out the Hogue grip for sure, thanks! I will check for the pins too; one other issue I had yesterday with the GST-9 was the front-most pin walking out while I was shooting. Probably would have come all the way out if I hadn't noticed when it was about half way.

Great!! Resist the urge to use any kind of cooking oil or any other lubricant you might see suggested online, other than WINDEX for your installation. The Windex will dry/evaporate properly whereas any kind of oil will not, and these are the people (that use oil) that generally have problems with the sleeve “shifting” on them and not staying put. I’ve installed 7 of these grips using WINDEX, and they all stay put with zero shifting issues. Just follow directions. Caveat- I did not use a plastic shim as they suggest as for me, they just got in the way during install. Just spray your frame grip and the inside of the hogues warmed in hot water as directed, and work it over the butt and up the grip. You can used the mold line of the hogue as a reference to line up with the center seam of the frame to make sure it’s centered correctly.

As far as the pins walking, you can use just a dab of clear nail polish on the pin ends and that should put a stop to that.

Yes you CAN uninstall the Handall if and when need be, but I’ll warn that its a tough procedure that will test your patience and fingers if you want keep the sleeve intact for reuse like I did moving one G19 grip from a P80-PF940C, and eventually installing it on a GST-9. Properly installed, they not only stay put, but almost are “bonded” to the polymer (they cling so snug and sure). They do NOT move unless you really put some serious effort into it….yet they leave no trace on your frames’ grip if you do remove them.

I wish you success!

Back