Tyson partners with Protix (to expand bugs in food!)

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Ummmm.... NOooooooooooooope!

<<<<Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE: TSN), one of the world’s largest food companies, has reached an agreement for a two-fold investment with Protix, the leading global insect ingredients company. The strategic investment will support the growth of the emerging insect ingredient industry and expand the use of insect ingredient solutions to create more efficient sustainable proteins and lipids for use in the global food system.>>>>

Seems that now is a good time to start or learn how to cultivate some of your own food. Doesn’t take much space to grow many types of food. Urban areas would be the most difficult. Meat- rabbits and birds are easily disguised as pets, they reproduce pretty quickly don’t take much space and are tasty. Many vegetables can be grown in a container near a window, porch or balcony.

Invest in a freeze dryer.
Food can lasts 25 yrs. Ice cream we take to the desert….never melts until it’s in my mouth. Yum 😋

IMG_0805.jpeg

I have had a serious aversion to worms since a buddy got a roundworm in his eyeball. So yall eat all the worms ya want.
But grasshoppers, spiders, scorpions & some roach like thing?? Skipjack maybe??
Not that bad, I was hungry though.

Yeaaa, I thought like that when I was a kid washing the excrement out of hog guts as my uncles made jokes and dropped various parts of it into a grinder for sausage.
But then you smell it cooking. You get over it

like Racer88 sez Soylent Green is people....(But in full disclosure, I did eat a lot of chocolate covered ants as a kid)

Last edited:
I once observed a rather elaborate system for conveying chicken shit out of massive poultry operations into a central collection point so it could in turn be fed back to the chickens. Evidently, chickens dont digest all their food, so somebody figured out that feeding their own shit back to them reduced the cost of feed.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 7.55.59 PM.png

And we all ate those shit eating chickens.

I have been to places in Africa, rural South Korea and Indonesia. Many others. I've eaten things that I had no idea what it was. Unidentifiable. Like my mother's cooking. These foods had been a centuries-old staple for these peoples. The most common was a sort of stew/soup dish with some vegetables and pieces of what-ever in it. Parts of some land critter or fish. What parts and what critter I'll never know. It's disrespectful to reject what you are given. Sometimes, they had nothing and offered me a meal.

Worst commoner, everyday food ever? Ireland. Hands down winner. What do you call a great restaurant in Ireland? Owned by foreigners. Stick to Guinness. It will keep you alive.

I did complete a variation of SERE training quite some time ago. Not quite as strenuous as the Air Force program but challenging none the less. Some may be surprised to learn that ants and grubs taste pretty good.

My wife cannot fathom how I can eat raw fish... sushi/sashimi. Consider that a long time ago, one of our ancestors picked up and oyster, opened it, and slurped it down.

Lobsters, crabs, shrimp, and crayfish (crawdads) are related to insects. Crustaceans are arthropods. For example: Spiders, ticks, scorpions.

I once observed a rather elaborate system for conveying chicken shit out of massive poultry operations into a central collection point so it could in turn be fed back to the chickens. Evidently, chickens dont digest all their food, so somebody figured out that feeding their own shit back to them reduced the cost of feed.

View attachment 18767

And we all ate those shit eating chickens.

I have been to places in Africa, rural South Korea and Indonesia. Many others. I've eaten things that I had no idea what it was. Unidentifiable. Like my mother's cooking. These foods had been a centuries-old staple for these peoples. The most common was a sort of stew/soup dish with some vegetables and pieces of what-ever in it. Parts of some land critter or fish. What parts and what critter I'll never know. It's disrespectful to reject what you are given. Sometimes, they had nothing and offered me a meal.

Worst commoner, everyday food ever? Ireland. Hands down winner. What do you call a great restaurant in Ireland? Owned by foreigners. Stick to Guinness. It will keep you alive.

I did complete a variation of SERE training quite some time ago. Not quite as strenuous as the Air Force program but challenging none the less. Some may be surprised to learn that ants and grubs taste pretty good.

My wife cannot fathom how I can eat raw fish... sushi/sashimi. Consider that a long time ago, one of our ancestors picked up and oyster, opened it, and slurped it down.

Lobsters, crabs, shrimp, and crayfish (crawdads) are related to insects. Crustaceans are arthropods. For example: Spiders, ticks, scorpions.
One of the reasons you don’t want to eat tilapia imported from …they feed the chicken poop to the fish.

Seems that now is a good time to start or learn how to cultivate some of your own food. Doesn’t take much space to grow many types of food. Urban areas would be the most difficult. Meat- rabbits and birds are easily disguised as pets, they reproduce pretty quickly don’t take much space and are tasty. Many vegetables can be grown in a container near a window, porch or balcony.

Invest in a freeze dryer.
Food can lasts 25 yrs. Ice cream we take to the desert….never melts until it’s in my mouth. Yum 😋

View attachment 18684
Oh man. Can we get some freeze dried chocolate fudge, too? Slurp..

I have zero interest in keeping livestock. Being a farmer is hard work.

I do source my beef and chicken locally. The cattle and chickens are raised and butchered locally. I rarely eat pork.

I’m in a better position now to grow my own vegetables and fruit, going beyond my habit of growing peppers and tomatoes and some herbs on a very small scale.

Last edited:
One of the reasons you don’t want to eat tilapia imported from …they feed the chicken poop to the fish.
I don't eat any farm-raised fish. Salmon in particular. Raising fish in a corral or the equivalent of a pond is a bad idea. Tilapia is garbage fish. Even wild caught Tilapia. Commercial fishermen used to toss them. No thanks.

I've experienced the so-called survival tabs that will keep you alive and nourished for a few months if necessary. I took them with me to Burkina Faso because I was warned by a colleague to not eat anything made by locals if I could avoid it. He picked up some weird parasite that was hard to diagnose and get rid of.

I also brought a water purification kit but was able to find legit bottled water imported from Europe and didn't need to use it. I was there for a little over a week and felt fine eating those chewables the entire time. I felt a little empty after a couple of days because they have no bulk but I felt nothing I would describe as symptoms of hunger. These tabs were developed for the US space program early on. I read that eating and the effect of weightlessness is better understood and the food is improved for astronauts now, but these chewy gobs of vitamins and protein do get the job done. The consistency is like those caramel squares that you melt down to make taffy apples.

I'm not big on prepper paranoia but it's not a bad idea to have some of these survival tabs on hand just in case there's some sort of disaster. They have a really long shelf life. I have heard those high calorie bars get the job done too. 3000+ calories each. Taste? No idea since I haven't tried them but even if they taste like cardboard it's better than being hungry.

There are SEVERAL Tilapia farms that are converted wastewater treatment plants. Mostly Aerobic digestion facilities bur still. That kinda ended me eating tilapia

Back