US Supreme Court Upholds The 2nd Amendment: Gun Ownership is a right of Americans

Easy to embed the video here. Just copy-paste the video url:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8y1s4-4W8

I stopped the video at 0:09. Just nine seconds in, we are off on the wrong foot.

He begins with.... "One of the arguments that's circulating online against private gun ownership is that the 2nd Amendment does not actually give people the right to own guns."

Right off the bat, we will LOSE that debate MERELY by responding to this errant premise (see emphasis above).

We cannot effectively debate the anti-gunner using this argument by suggesting that the 2A "DOES GIVE us the Right."

The Constitution, including the Bill of Rights, does not GIVE us ANYTHING. The BoR does not GRANT any Right. The BoR assumes the NATURAL existence of those Rights and guarantees their PROTECTION by PROHIBITING their infringement by the GOVERNMENT.

The Constitution isn't a declaration of the Rights of citizens. Rather, it is PURELY a written set of RESTRICTIONS imposed upon the GOVERNMENT.

Until we can ALL (both sides) acknowledge and agree upon THAT single premise, we are wasting time with ANY discussion or debate.

OK... now I'll unpause the video... perhaps... and see if I can tolerate the rest of it.

So, now I'm 38 seconds into it, and it seems the narrator / "reporter" is accepting the premise and preparing to argue against it. And he apparently went to law school but doesn't know that the Constitution does not grant citizens ANY Rights or Freedom. That's disappointing.

Again...

Our Freedom and Rights are Natural or inherent by virtue of our birth as humans. The Constitution was crafted as a founding document designed ONLY to PROTECT those Natural Human Rights from infringement by ambitious and aspiring tyrants in government.

When faced with this "point" from anti-liberty debaters, we MUST stop them there and show that the Constitution does not GRANT anything. If they are not willing to agree on that simple and self-evident FACT, any further discussion is pointless. Walk away.

Last edited:
The Constitution isn't a declaration of the Rights of citizens. Rather, it is PURELY a written set of RESTRICTIONS imposed upon the GOVERNMENT.

Until we can ALL (both sides) acknowledge and agree upon THAT single premise, we are wasting time with ANY discussion or debate.
Your observations are spot on; however, both sides will never agree. The left won't agree because they are trying to subvert our freedoms by having government take over. Guessing many on the right (elected officials) won't agree because they've been indoctrinated too deeply.

A lot of education is needed to not only to get us back to the understanding that the Constitution is an enumeration of the powers that the people grant to the US government and each state as part of being admitted into the union agreed to those some enumeration of powers. Obviously we can cite plenty of examples of violations by US and state governments.

One thing that is presented in the video which I think we need more of is an understanding of how words were used when the Constitution was written. That also is something lost on folks as what is meant by the words depends a lot on the definition and context at the time they were written.

One thing that is presented in the video which I think we need more of is an understanding of how words were used when the Constitution was written. That also is something lost on folks as what is meant by the words depends a lot on the definition and context at the time they were written.

That falls on deaf ears when the premise is that the BoR GRANTS or GIVES us our Rights. If we don't stop the other side THERE, we have lost the debate no matter what we point out as the meaning of the words.

Our Freedom and Rights are Natural or inherent by virtue of our birth as humans. The Constitution was crafted as a founding document designed ONLY to PROTECT those Natural Human Rights from infringement by ambitious and aspiring tyrants in government.
Thank you for that! It is so easy to get trapped in the state of mind that I have to fight for my freedom. It is guaranteed by this tiny document:

20230305_130016.jpg

It is unfortunate that so many people hate what is written in there. Those freedoms apply to the haters too...? I have a hard time relating to those who agitate for less of the freedoms guaranteed by the BoR in exchange for promises of safety and comfort.

And I still haven’t heard a second of this video. Sadly, the person I get this stuff from as “good news” generally goes by what they see in print, and not the meat of issues as I’ve had numerous ahem, heated discussions of like kind. Once they see it in print, it’s Gospel and good luck trying to reason with them. I should have known better and not posted it, or at least ran the video myself beforehand. Truth is, my brain is too doggone tired with so much input that post-stroke, takes its toll. I’ll try not to bring anything else in unless I screen it first.

I’ve stopped trying to reason with them years ago. So my bringing it here unscreened, is on me, nobody else. Apologies!!

I agree with everything you all have posted. We are BORN with unalienable rights.

And I still haven’t heard a second of this video. Sadly, the person I get this stuff from as “good news” generally goes by what they see in print, and not the meat of issues as I’ve had numerous ahem, heated discussions of like kind. Once they see it in print, it’s Gospel and good luck trying to reason with them. I should have known better and not posted it, or at least ran the video myself beforehand. Truth is, my brain is too doggone tired with so much input that post-stroke, takes its toll. I’ll try not to bring anything else in unless I screen it first.

I’ve stopped trying to reason with them years ago. So my bringing it here unscreened, is on me, nobody else. Apologies!!

I agree with everything you all have posted. We are BORN with unalienable rights.

No apology necessary. It got us talking. I still haven't watched the rest of it, yet. It's still cued up. :)

If anything, this gives us the state of mind of many. Even those who are ultra pro 2nd amendment. Reeducation is in order.

Back