What was your “Prep” for today?

Ok... here's my "prep".

Get back in shape. No, seriously. The best starting point for survival in hard times is being in decent physical shape to start with.

To that end, I bought a plate carrier. Every morning I take an hour long walk around the farm, wearing about an extra 30lbs worth of plate armor and magazines. I was painful to start with, but it has been getting easier every day. It sucks getting old, but the muscles can still remember how it is supposed to work.

Welp, last year we had a nice garden of fresh tomatoes (cherry & normal but not beefsteak), squash, onions, chives, peppers, lettuce and a few other things two kinds of pears, two variants of apples, and peaches; this year, we have had such an unseasonably cold and wet time right up to today with about temps 30 degrees lower than normal for this time of year; add to that the stroke suffered Apr 19th that I've largely recovered from (except fatigue) and still recovering; and my wife has been here for 3 years giving managed car to her mom with Alzheimer's & Dementia since June of 2019 and she's just fried with it all, so for us, just waking up above ground is prep enough. lol. I'm just trying to get caught up on the 2 acres here that need to be mowed and finally has dried-out enough from the rains here in So Oregon to do so. This is her fourth summer here and it's been completely unlike the previous 3 summers before. Here's a pic of just a little bit of last years's harvest...we did NOT plant a garden this year:

EBE0BCB8-9AE4-4C12-A2C4-5F18370F244E.jpeg
tempImageX5Q4Td.jpg

Ok... here's my "prep".

Get back in shape. No, seriously. The best starting point for survival in hard times is being in decent physical shape to start with.

To that end, I bought a plate carrier. Every morning I take an hour long walk around the farm, wearing about an extra 30lbs worth of plate armor and magazines. I was painful to start with, but it has been getting easier every day. It sucks getting old, but the muscles can still remember how it is supposed to work.
"Getting old isn't for sissies"....whoever said that, sure got that right.

Back to the temps, normal this time of year it should be 95+ if not triple-digits by now; and it's 73 degrees as I type this post. Supposed to climb upwards 15 degrees or so over the next 7-9 days. I know I'm being selfish, but if this weather were to continue through the summer season it would be just fine with me. I love the gentle rain that blows-in from Brookings yesterday we had that misty-rainy weather that I really like....last week we had a not so gentle moment where it had stopped for a day, then between 4 am through about 6pm it dumped just over an inch of rain. Just incredible.

Last edited:
Back