What / when was your first firearm?

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I don't think we've explored this topic as a community.

Tell us about your first gun. When? How? What?

My first gun was at age 16. My family moved back to Arkansas (after 11 years overseas), and I noticed that everyone had a gun. So, I had to get a gun! At age 16, I was able to go to the local department store and purchase an H&R single-shot "Topper" 12-ga shotgun.

Unfortunately, it was lost in a house fire in 1985. After years of searching for a decent example - H&R is out of business, and most of the vintage guns for sale are in bad shape - I found one last December. I re-purchased my "first gun." Very cool.

H&R Topper (15).jpg

I dressed it up a bit with a custom made cartridge cuff on the stock. I also installed a slip-on pad. It kicks like a mule!

H&R Topper (1).jpg

I was also able to grab a nice 20-gauge barrel for it on eBay!
H&R Topper (5).jpg

My 2nd gun (and 1st pistol) wasn't until age 33... a Gen 2 Glock 19. I still have that gun.

g19.jpg

What was your first gun? Do you still have it?

Last edited:
My first gun was a Smith & Wesson model 66 (stainless) .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. I was 20 at the time, so my mom needed to buy it. My second, upon turning 21, was a Smith & Wesson model 686 (stainless) .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. After getting the 66 and learning about it from a friend, going to gunsmith school, I met after purchase, I decided that the heavier duty frame was better for a regular diet of magnum cartridges. I bought a Dillon Progressive reloading press (RL 550 I think) and would hit the range every weekend and mostly plink a couple of hundred rounds or so. I still have all three of the mentioned items.

My 2nd gun (and 1st pistol) wasn't until age 33... a Gen 2 Glock 19. I still have that gun.

So I gotta be "that guy". Verbiage is a G19/9mm but a G23/.40 is pictured. Which is it? ;)

So I gotta be "that guy". Verbiage is a G19/9mm but a G23/.40 is pictured. Which is it? ;)

Oops! Wrong photo (and mislabeled)! Corrected.

Last edited:
H&R single-shot "Topper" 12-ga shotgun. was my first at the age of 13.

My first given to me when I moved to TN in 1977 a Winchester model 57 22 LR
IMG_2021A.JPG

When about the same time I was given the brown handle
High Standard 22 LR
IMG_1828.JPG

What was the start for my collection

Colt 1911. Bought in 1980. Still have it.
Have to wait until I get home to add the pic.

1662065442189.jpeg

Last edited:
My first was a Daisy BB gun for my 10th birthday.

Got a Stevens Youth 20 ga. single shot for my 11th.

For the first one "I" purchased, that was an H&R 949 revolver. I saved for a long time to get the $75.00. Mom and I went to the local Western Auto. I handed her the money, she did the paperwork and handed me the box. IIRC, I was 15.

I believe the first time I did a 4473 was at 18, bought a used HK91 from my LGS.

First NFA item (M11/9), was at 22, I believe just before the ban, so 1985 or thereabouts.

Got my FFL and paid my SOT in 1989 or thereabouts. Switched to 07/02 the next year, after having figured out I could be a manufacturer for the same $500 a year.

Last edited:
Glock 19 was my first gun. It's still my EDC today and yet to experience any malfunctions with it. She eats everything.

Attachments

• 20220901_121611.jpg
    20220901_121611.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 44
BB gun, donā€™t remember ageā€¦a kid. Just remember shooting pie tins hung from our blueberry bushes. I grew up around guns. Living in the country on a farm hunting season is yr round. Rabbit, squirrel, deer, woodchuck,coon, possum, fox etcā€¦ plus if itā€™s eatin the crops or after the live stock itā€™s dinner.

My first was a Daisy BB gun for my 10th birthday.

I updated the thread title to "firearms."

Yeah... BB / pellet guns before that. Not sure what age was the first. I think my little brother got a Daisy pump rifle before me. But, I got to shoot it.

Glock 19 was my first gun. It's still my EDC today and yet to experience any malfunctions with it. She eats everything.

Nice. Like that holster wear on the slide!

BB gun at 5 or 6, {still have that}.

Bought my first "real" gun in about 1968, a new Cougar Voere 30.06, Mauser bolt action, [still have that} bought this at JC Penny's, with my paper route money. I paid 99 bucks.

I don't think we've explored this topic as a community.

Tell us about your first gun. When? How? What?

My first gun was at age 16. My family moved back to Arkansas (after 11 years overseas), and I noticed that everyone had a gun. So, I had to get a gun! At age 16, I was able to go to the local department store and purchase an H&R single-shot "Topper" 12-ga shotgun.

Unfortunately, it was lost in a house fire in 1985. After years of searching for a decent example - H&R is out of business, and most of the vintage guns for sale are in bad shape - I found one last December. I re-purchased my "first gun." Very cool.

View attachment 5694

I dressed it up a bit with a custom made cartridge cuff on the stock. I also installed a slip-on pad. It kicks like a mule!

View attachment 5692

I was also able to grab a nice 20-gauge barrel for it on eBay!
View attachment 5693

View attachment 5696

What was your first gun? Do you still have it?
The first firearm i bought with my own money was a 40cal S&W Sigma and it was a total piece of shit. i didnt mind selling it to afford books for college.

It was that *very* gun that made me so OCD about reliability and quality today.

1st firearm - 1973 a Marlin 22 LR semiautomatic 22 tube fed
2nd firearm - 1975 a Mossberg 20 gauge pump
3rd firearm - 1978 a Marlin 22 mag I won for selling magazines in high school

1st rifle was at age 6- Sears Roebuck 101.8. Shotgun age 9 12gauge Wards model 30. Pistol age 10 Colt Woodsman.

My first was also a Marlin Model 60 .22LR. It was a gift from a family-member, who taught me the basic rules of firearm safety, and took me shooting for the first time. At one point, I had completely disassembled the entire action, my excuse was to give it a 'deep cleaning', although that was totally unnecessary and not even recommended. Of course, the fact was I just wanted to take it apart and re-assemble it because I could, and was told that I shouldn't.šŸ˜† Yes, I still have it, and it shoots fine.šŸ™ƒ

My first was also a Marlin Model 60 .22LR. It was a gift from a family-member, who taught me the basic rules of firearm safety, and took me shooting for the first time. At one point, I had completely disassembled the entire action, my excuse was to give it a 'deep cleaning', although that was totally unnecessary and not even recommended. Of course, the fact was I just wanted to take it apart and re-assemble it because I could, and was told that I shouldn't.šŸ˜† Yes, I still have it, and it shoots fine.šŸ™ƒ
I forgot about the Model 60. Mine was the Glenfield version w/stamped squirrel on the stock. My best friend had one so I eventually had Mom haul me to K-Mart so she could do the paperwork. I believe I was in Jr. High. I'd like to have a buck for every round of cheap .22 that went through those. We'd shoot them until they finally stopped working and/or the gas blowback got too annoying. As I recall, it took many bricks to get that bad.

Still have rifle and pistol. Shotgun got burned up in a fire.

Reviving this thread, since we have a lot of new members since it started. What was your first gun, and do you still have it?

Bought my first gun(s) right after leaving active duty and entering college. Since I was already thinking about HD, my first gun was actually two guns at the same time: a 12 ga Mossberg 500 shotgun and although I really wanted a Beretta 92, I couldn't afford one on my budget. However, a friend showed me the Taurus PT92AF and that was the first handgun I bought myself. I still have both and they've both been reliable shooters since day one. Shortly thereafter, I inherited three more from family: a Colt Detective Special, a Colt 1908 recessed hamer in in .380 ACP, and a Greenfield Model 60 .22LR rifle. I still have those as well because guns checking into my Hotel California collection can never leave! šŸ¤ 

Back