What's the Future for P80 w/ Founder & CEO Loren Kelly | SHOT Show 2023

Unfortunately for P80, as long as the ATF and the White house are under Liberal control they will be driving the company (P80) out of business.
The Gov. has unlimited resources on their side and P80 doesn't, its matter of time until they declare bankruptcy.
Most of new builders especially the new younger generation is going to DIY by 3D printing, thats the new unstoppable front.
Im sure the Anti Gunners already thinking about how to prevent and limit the 3D printers of doing just that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for P80, as long as the ATF and the White house are under Liberal control they will be driving the company (P80) out of business.
The Gov. has unlimited resources on their side and P80 doesn't, its matter of time until they declare bankruptcy.
Most of new builders especially the new younger generation is going to DIY by 3D printing, thats the new unstoppable front.
Im sure the Anti Gunners already thinking about how to prevent and limit the 3D printers of doing just that.
Ye of little faith!

I was pretty bummed that I had to buy a serialized frame. Got into the pistol builder game too late. It's still fun and exciting, but going through an FFL takes some blush off the rose. I don't have a big objection to a frame having a serial number on it. It's just a convenience thing for me. Having to go thru the FFL process for what I consider parts is a huge PITA. It's not as much fun. It's also cheaper to buy a complete, manufactured firearm. As we all know, that is the plan - to discourage builders and track ownership. I would not be shocked to learn that the major pistol makers' lobbyists were in full support of the gov't trying to kill off P80 and its peers in the DIY firearm arena.

Last edited:
When it was discovered that color copiers, as their popularity increased in the late 80's, were so good that they could be used to print high-quality counterfeit paper currency. And easily duplicate bank checks and other financial instruments. So the Treasury intervened. Understandably, I suppose. Every high-quality color copier today has features that make using it to print money traceable and detectable. I suppose 3D printers will eventually have some similar controls. What you can or cannot print. Or perhaps tracking what you print. People are creative and will find ways around regs, like how punks in NYC a generation ago had zip guns made from car antennas. Ammo was available, but handguns were not. Thus, zip guns.

I was pretty bummed that I had to buy a serialized frame. Got into the pistol builder game too late. It's still fun and exciting, but going through an FFL takes some blush off the rose. I don't have a big objection to a frame having a serial number on it. It's just a convenience thing for me. Having to go thru the FFL process for what I consider parts is a huge PITA. It's not as much fun. It's also cheaper to buy a complete, manufactured firearm. As we all know, that is the plan - to discourage builders and track ownership. I would not be shocked to learn that the major pistol makers' lobbyists were in full support of the gov't trying to kill off P80 and its peers in the DIY firearm arena.

There is a new "compliant" unfinished / unserialized version of the P80 frame. The new "blank" has a bit more material that needs to be removed. Click image-link below:
1676032067547.png

There is a new "compliant" unfinished / unserialized version of the P80 frame. The new "blank" has a bit more material that needs to be removed. Click image-link below:
View attachment 9301
I might have to buy a couple just to see how much work the additional is going to take , Honestly I have soooo many in reserve It's not actually needed though.

I might have to buy a couple just to see how much work the additional is going to take , Honestly I have soooo many in reserve It's not actually needed though.

I'm in the same position... I'm curious and "up for the challenge." And they're fairly inexpensive. BUT... I've got SO many "on deck" already. I just can't justify buying more right now. Plus it will leave more available for the novices looking to get into the hobby. My "benevolent" side! ;)

I'm in the same position... I'm curious and "up for the challenge." And they're fairly inexpensive. BUT... I've got SO many "on deck" already. I just can't justify buying more right now. Plus it will leave more available for the novices looking to get into the hobby. My "benevolent" side! ;)
Yeah I git the chance to talk to Loran at the show as well, I'm glad they stepped up to fight this I feel like they were absent for so long but then again lawsuits take time and money.

View attachment 9301
I did find those 'blanks' and ordered one just for shits and grins. I think I can handle the additional machining, but we'll see when it arrives. As I understand it, the trigger area needs additional work not formerly required. The question I haven't found the answer to yet is... does the jig I bought provide for that. My unqualified guess is no.

I did find those 'blanks' and ordered one just for shits and grins. I think I can handle the additional machining, but we'll see when it arrives. As I understand it, the trigger area needs additional work not formerly required. The question I haven't found the answer to yet is... does the jig I bought provide for that. My unqualified guess is no.
From what I've seen / heard, there is a separate jig for the front locking block pin hole.

Rook is supposedly coming out with a master jig that does everything, all P80 models. Might be worth the wait. I expect it to be $$$$

Rook is supposedly coming out with a master jig that does everything, all P80 models. Might be worth the wait. I expect it to be $$$$

Yes. The "Uno," I think it's called. Hopefully, they'll re-tool it to include the front locking block hole. If they do, I'm in.

Appears to be all metal, reusable. That's a big plus for me. Like sight pushers and a mini torque wrench. Well worth the money if you do most of your own work. I read that plastic jigs are good for three pistols. That's if you don't bugger it. A metal jig with steel bushings seems like a good investment if you are going to build pistols. Then again, I'm not one of those guys who uses a butter knife to remove a screw. :

A metal jig with steel bushings seems like a good investment if you are going to build pistols.

I agree. Even though I have fresh jigs with all my pending frames (I got them before the unconstitutional rule implementation).... I'd rather have a metal jig, which would inspire even more confidence in drilling the pin holes.

Come on, @ROOKTactical ! As we used to say in the Navy, "What's the gouge?"

To be quite frank, Rook is the absolute last vendor I would want to produce that tool. Not due to quality, but simply because they can't even provide enough rails to meet demand working from their kitchen, so how in the world will they meet demand for a jig that works with all frames. From this perspective, they would be the absolute worst vendor for this unless they were partnered with an entity that had cash, resources and facilities to meet both staffing and physical deliver requirements.

I realize I'm criticizing the holy grail for some of you, but what I'm stating is fact. The way he operates Rook right now, it wouldn't work and would just lead to more frustration from an already frustrated customer base. Folksy, good 'ol boy emails explaining his small business growth woes will not get the job done. Those PF45 rear rails have been in pipeline for a year. Maybe longer. Yep, I realize he is juggling the ATF rules with his cash flow depending on how the wind blows with the ATF each week, but that isn't going to change the fact that there will be a hell of a lot more demand. That demand will be from a lot more folks than just the people in this forum who have the OCD qualiities necessary to want Rook rails. With a jig, his demand will now come from Ebay, Reddit and builders like in this forum. You'll have higher odds of winning the lottery than ever successfully purchasing a jig within a year's time frame from Rook. Just sayin' from experience.

Flame away. I lit the match and put on my suit. :D
:outta here:

fire-kill.gif

Last edited:
Time will tell.

I’m sorry you’ve had to wait so long for your PF45 Rear rails, USAPat.

Having said that, a small operation is just that- both with pluses and minuses. Hopefully ROOK will be able to overcome those obstacles…you’ve gotta admit that this is a very cottage or niche industry to begin with, not to mention in these insane times.

Watch! I really like Loren Kelly's optimism. "We are going to win."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQCUD7APMM

This is excellent. Loran is a prince of a guy, very smart, savvy and well-read. It’s exciting to hear him speak with the conviction he has…that’s the same Loran I knew before he left CA, and moved his company. Nothing but class, all the way..and yes he HAS been in this fray ever since the CA days and he’s in it to win. Every P80 I’ve had has been consistent, and the one time I got a bad FLBR in an SC kit, they got it out to me pronto. Expansion of the product line is exciting!!

Wasn’t it P80 who did the strike 80 frames? Maybe he could buy-out their design and incorporate it into his product line. Michele, didn’t you say those were your favorite? If he made these I’d never look anywhere else for a frame, as I think that S80 grip is more refined and ergonomic than a PF940C. Go Polymer80!!

Last edited:
Wasn’t it P80 who did the strike 80 frames? Maybe he could buy-out their design and incorporate it into his product line. Michele, didn’t you say those were your favorite?

Yes indeed P80 made those fantastic strike frames we all love and wish would come back into production. Is a favorite of many builders, myself included. It feels just right and natural in my hand

Back