Dry fire laser training gizmos? Who uses them?

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I'll admit to having a collection of dry fire laser training gizmos.

I'll also admit to not using them much in recent years. I think I need to go back to more of that.

It's way cheaper than live ammo! Not quite the same as live fire, of course. But, there is some real value in dry fire practice with "shot indicating" lasers.

Before I dive into the various gizmos, let's see what everyone (anyone?) else is doing. Go!

Here are a couple. Each has some advantages / disadvantages.
The top is a "cartridge laser" that is loaded into the chamber.
The bottom a "universal laser" that fits into the muzzle of the barrel.

laser-shot-indicating.jpg

Mine has been a progression of training tools over the years. First was a modified pistol (firing pin removed), second was the use of snap-caps to protect the firing pin, then the use of a laser rounds (iTarget), and now I am using a SIRT.

If it had been available years ago, I probably would have gone straight to the SIRT just for the shear convenience of use.

Plus side: it works for multiple "shots", it has roughly the same size and weight as a fully functional Glock 17, has removable "magazines", fits my existing holsters and mag carriers, and works with electronic scoring software, like iTarget and LaserHit. Though, I use the software less often now, since I just use the IDPA tombstone targets and can see the splotch of red laser when I hit the target. No real need for a precise record of where the shots land, they are either somewhere on the target or not and that is all that matters.

Down side: it is a little on the pricey side, but in reality it isn't much more expensive that using the laser rounds. I bought mine as a kit from NextLevelTraining for $214 delivered to my mailbox a month ago. So, you can be the judge of just how painful something like that is to your budget vs. the other options.

From my perspective, it is handy and useful, so I would recommend it to anyone who wants to practice concealed carry.

Attachments

• SIRT_20220925.JPG
    SIRT_20220925.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
If it had been available years ago, I probably would have gone straight to the SIRT just for the shear convenience of use.
I don't know what "years ago" means in terms of how many years ago. But, I got my SIRT pistol in 2014. I subsequently got another with an IR laser. I installed Glock sights on them to better simulate... well... my Glocks. The original SIRT sights were all-black plastic and the suckage. :)
SIRT-IR.jpg

The weighted removable mags are cool, too.

Plus side: it works for multiple "shots", it has roughly the same size and weight as a fully functional Glock 17, has removable "magazines", fits my existing holsters and mag carriers, and works with electronic scoring software, like iTarget and LaserHit.
The resetting trigger of the SIRT is a big advantage.... Whereas, with a striker-fired pistol, you have to rack to reset the trigger every time for dry fire.

The downside is it doesn't quite feel like a Glock trigger. But good enough, I suppose.

I've used mine with the LASR software, which is excellent.
1664113255503.png

1664113386968.png

From my perspective, it is handy and useful, so I would recommend it to anyone who wants to practice concealed carry.
I agree. Another FANTASTIC use for it is teaching newbies to shoot. It's a great way to teach grip, trigger manipulation, sight alignment, sight picture, etc.... without the "BANG." This can be done safely at home or wherever you are. I even have them dry fire with it multiple times AT the range. Then dry fire with the real gun. Then live fire.

I don't know what "years ago" means in terms of how many years ago.

Ummm.... back in the 1980's when dinosaurs wandered the land and "portable" lasers were the size of a brick. ;) That's about the time I started thinking of training in carry techniques. That's about the time I made a brass firing pin plug for a pistol that was dedicated to just practicing dry-fire from a holstered start. Seems kinda laughable now. The laser rounds were a nice upgrade for seeing that first shot placement, but only for the first shot.

Now, I've moved on and trying new (to me) techniques... like treating the pistol like I shoot a skeet shotgun. Don't even bother trying to see the sights, just treat the entire pistol like the rib and bead of a shotgun. Just practice getting the body to point it wherever your eyes are looking and track the target through repetition. The SIRT is doing well so far for me. Though I think I will black out the top of the slide so my eyes don't cheat and use the red stripe instead of the outline of slide.

Ummm.... back in the 1980's when dinosaurs wandered the land and "portable" lasers were the size of a brick.
LOL! Touche.

like treating the pistol like I shoot a skeet shotgun. Don't even bother trying to see the sights, just treat the entire pistol like the rib and bead of a shotgun. Just practice getting the body to point it wherever your eyes are looking and track the target through repetition.
Several years ago, I got training in "Threat-focused" aka "Instinctive" aka "Point" defensive shooting. No sights. Not even using the entire pistol as a reference. Only body indexing. In other words firing anywhere from the hip to shoulder height without even looking at the gun at all. It's amazingly effective. We were even doing head shots from the hip. Predictably.

The LASR silhouette target I posted above were all hip shots from about 4 yards.

Last edited:
We were even doing head shots from the hip. Predictably.

That's my goal. Getting reliable hits on muscle memory alone. I've shot 100 straights on the skeet range using just muscle memory. I don't think about it, the target just appears, the gun comes up, and boom...target chunks start raining from the sky. (It has a certain Zen quality to it.) Now, I just have to get the pistol to do the same thing, un-learning the process of using the sights in a traditional sense.

Yeah, for taking out Bambi, I need the accuracy to plant a round into a 6" circle at 300 yards that isn't shooting back.... but for defending myself, I just need to plant multiple rounds into a 2 foot circle at 10 yards in a hurry. No extra credit for the number of X ring hits.

Back