Another little adventure... boots.

clm2112

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Ah, the things I get myself into. My beat up pair of Red Wings started having a failure of the sole (or perhaps soul, ahem) so a few weeks ago I went shopping for a new pair of boots. In the process, I decided to give a pair of AR670-1 compliant boots a try. Hey, the last pair of boots like that I owned truly sucked.. great big polished black leather heavy monsters that put blisters everywhere and were miserable when damp, which seemed to be all the time no matter how many times I changed socks. Surely the US military can evolve a decent boot given forty years or so to work on it.

So, I took a shot at it. Bought a pair of Altama "Foxhound SR 8" boots... geeze size 13W... I didn't think I had that big of a pair of barges. Oh well, they is what they is and that is what the paper outline measurements say should be my size.

They showed up at work on Friday. So far, I've worn them for two shifts at work... and you know, they are actually rather comfortable. We'll see how long they hold up.

I'm unfamiliar with Red Wings boots, are the soles glued or stitched? I'm partial to Rocky boots (I also wear 13s) but the soles on some of them are glued and tend to detach around the edges.

I have found that this stuff works great, I re-glued the soles of my boots around Thanksgiving and they're still tight here at the end of January after daily wear.

Shoe Adhesive that Works

I do a fair bit of hiking, I have been wearing Keens Targhee III mid. I wear 13's as well, and these fit like a glove, very comfortable.

Very rocky hear, and the Keens, power over that very easily.

I'm unfamiliar with Red Wings boots, are the soles glued or stitched? I'm partial to Rocky boots (I also wear 13s) but the soles on some of them are glued and tend to detach around the edges.

I have found that this stuff works great, I re-glued the soles of my boots around Thanksgiving and they're still tight here at the end of January after daily wear.

Shoe Adhesive that Works
I'm another Rocky Boots fan. Solid customer for decades now. My first pair of '911s' lasted about ten years, regular wear. I've lately been switching back and forth from Under Armor, and they alleviated a lot of joint problems I had been dealing with. Light weight, comfy, and a little cheaper, they don't last as long as the Rocky Boots do. But I am fine replacing them a little more frequently if they work.

I’m a redwings fan, steel toed loggers to be specific. Keep ‘em well oiled to ensure the leather stays baby butt soft. Mine went through the wringer in the navy lasting 10+ yrs before the sole wore down. Ladders can play hell on boots. Saltwater, bilge water, CHT, fire fighting, sand, volcanic ash etc… they keep going way past Navy issue leather. Takes a beautiful spit shine on the toe as well.
@Code_Name_Eric Here’s a photo of the sole attachment on the last pair I bought still kicking but lightly used these days.
DFE0D331-D717-4028-BB17-2D593287FCB0.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m a redwings fan, steel toed loggers to be specific. Mine went through hell in the navy lasting 10+ yrs before the sole wore down: Saltwater, bilge water, CHT, fire fighting, sand, volcanic ash etc… they keep going way past Navy issue leather. Takes a beautiful spit shine on the toe as well.
@Code_Name_Eric Here’s a photo of the sole attachment on the last pair I bought still kicking but lightly used these days.View attachment 9070
So you can re-sole those, that's great. I have a pair of Rocky Bear Claws with sewn soles that are in need of replacement, sadly the only cobbler in town retired a few years ago. The Rocky's I wear every day are glued. I'm pretty sure I've got a lifetime supply of them that I inherited from a good fried that passed 10 years ago. When he found something he liked, he stocked deep. I enjoy wearing his boots. :)

I hear ya on stocking up. When I find something I like wearing, I do the same.

Although wearing khaki is the thing a Navy chief is suppose love… I’ve always secretly held dear to my heat those dungarees. I bought stacks before they stopped issuing them. Granted I can no longer fit in the smallest size these days but I can always hope I can fit my butt in em again one day 😊. I also bought 5 pairs of the female leather shoes before they went unisex AKA females wear big ugly men’s shoes. Those shoes will out last me. I. Only on my 2nd pair.

Yeah, the Red Wings lasted for about 13 years, bought them in Daytona just before moving back to the farm. The uppers are fine, but the sole is delaminating. I was going to take them to a cobbler in Uniontown, but I guess he is gone now too. Looks like I'll be trying the gluing. My father repaired his pair of Red Wings using Flex-seal of all things. Sounds silly, but it's worked on his for about two years now, I might be doing the same thing.

As far as the new Altama's, I'll just have to see how they actually hold up. They are really light by comparison to the Red Wings... not much more weight than a pair of sneakers. If they work out, then I'll probably get another pair. Out looking for some merino wool socks (another thing recommended by hikers) to go along with wearing the boots in summer and winter.

I've worn Danners since about 1999
Danner Hood Winter Light - still hand-made in the USA
Worn everyday with very few exceptions/ current pair are on year three, and were recently re-soled.
Boots that are meant to be worn/ used as boots

I also have a pair of Explorers in the closet that are in need of soles and stretching for width. I like them, but the 8" HWL remain as my favored.

/K

Last edited:
Good God you guys are into some expensive boots... I'll stick with my low pay grade Rothco's. Lol

Back