Betty Boom

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
A little Gunglo and Betty Boom shines up pretty well. 14 years old. A gazillion rounds later.
IMG_1111.jpeg

New buffer, spring, BCG, binary trigger. Good as new. The 37mm launcher was added more recently.

Last edited:
So what's the deal on the launcher? NFA item?

So what's the deal on the launcher? NFA item?
Nope. Not NFA. You cannot put explosive rounds in it because those are prohibited. Other rules regulate "grenades". But smoke, flares, and certain pyrotechnics are OK.

It's fairly easy to hand-load 37mm rounds, but I haven't bothered. Kits are available to make your own fireworks. The ready-to-go shells for it are pricey but fun on the 4th of July.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that there are Dragons Breath type loads in 37mm. Just in case it becomes necessary to light an assailant on fire after shooting him. :rolleyes:

What no beta-mag
100 rounds is awfully heavy! I prefer 30-round mags. I have a 50-rd Magpul AR drum. Never use it. Reliable, but I found it to be clumsy. Honestly, I also find binary triggers to not be very useful, but I have it, so it went into this AR that is now enjoying a comfortable retirement. I had to modify the trigger pocket to get it to work though. Three hands are needed to install it. You have to hold it together, springs compressed while inserting it into the lower. Huge pain in the ass.

This plain-vanilla M&P has been super reliable. Probably somewhere around 30k rounds through it. The barrel remains good and off a bag, it can still make a 6-inch ragged hole in paper at 50-75 yards. It's no wonder why so many cops have an M&P in the trunk.

I named this gun after a neighbor from my youth. Betty was a plump middle-aged woman who wore a lot of jewelry and hair and nails were always done just so. She liked college boys. She wasn't a looker but was always ready and could go all night. Or so I heard. :)

This plain-vanilla M&P has been super reliable.
I've shot my Daniel Defense and my buddy's m&p15 side by side. His m&p performed flawless. While I dont regret my purchase, I believe the smith and wesson was a better purchase and would of been for me too.

I've shot my Daniel Defense and my buddy's m&p15 side by side. His m&p performed flawless. While I dont regret my purchase, I believe the smith and wesson was a better purchase and would of been for me too.
Some are prettier. But for me the M&P has been a reliable workhorse. I've been told that Ruger ARs are equally dependable. "Fancy" matters with shotguns but in my experience plain vanilla ARs, especially those made by the big players, run as good as any and dont cost an arm and a leg. I've avoided the lesser brands. Some are good (like Spikes), some are not. Many are way overpriced. I always look for a tight fit between the upper and lower as a sign of quality. Cheap ARs are sloppy in that regard.

Last edited:
Since I'm new to the AR game, I've nothing to offer (as far as personal experience) aside from a two thumbs-up, BL.

I've regarded the upper and lower fit of an AR as you describe & was elated that our projects both fit very tight- like the uppers & lowers were hand-fit to one another. Zero slop or wiggle, and no visible gaps of light. I was pretty shocked to see that.

Betty Boom be looking GOOD. May you get many more years and rounds through it!

I love the way Gunglo renders a consistent sheen & depth to these types of finishes as Betty is wearing. That’s how those finishes should look; and nothing else I’ve tried even comes close: silicone gun rags just suck for anything nitride/Tennifer/etc as well. I’m trying get the Echelon & the AR photogenic- pfft.

I love the way Gunglo renders a consistent sheen & depth to these types of finishes as Betty is wearing. That’s how those finishes should look; and nothing else I’ve tried even comes close: silicone gun rags just suck for anything nitride/Tennifer/etc as well. I’m trying get the Echelon & the AR photogenic- pfft.
That it does. I have to make another batch. Happy to send to you when I do. Winter project.

Back