Browning Hi-Power

no4mk1t

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Back in the 80's, this turned up at the local gun store. It had been left stored in a holster and the bluing on the front 1/3 of the slide was messed up. This killed most of its value. As a result, I got a deal on it.

The Hi Power has three basic deficiencies.
The sights are tiny like G.I. 1911 sights
The trigger sucks, mainly due to the magazine disconnect safety.
Certain style hammers pinch the web of your hand.

Since the pistols finish was ruined anyway, I took the opportunity to first install some better sights. Back then, no one made aftermarket sights for the Hi Power. I had to order a set of 1911 sights from Brownell's and file away everything that didn't look like it belonged on a Hi Power. Nobody did dovetailed front sight in those days, so I had a gunsmith silver solder a front sigh on for me.

After removing the magazine safety, the trigger pull was still not to my liking, so I attempted a trigger job...and failed. Had to order a new sear after screwing it up. I prevailed on the second attempt however and to this day I have never felt a Hi Power with a better one that did not come out of a custom gunsmith. (There's a blind hog and an acorn analogy in there somewhere)

I was learning about Parkerizing at the time, and being I could do it cheaper than paying to have the gun blued, it got parked.
One of the "Holy Grails" in Mil-Surp refinishing is duplicating the green tint seen on WW2 M1's, Carbines, and Springfields. Little did I know that the passage of time plays a large part in that. Rust prevention in the 40's consisted of coating the guns in Cosmoline, which over time caused the green tint.
I had a can of G.I. Rifle Grease (which is kinda green) and when the parts came out of the tank and were still hot, I swabbed them down with the grease. I was disappointed when there wasn't an instant color change. In fact, there didn't seem to be any change. However, as the years went by, a green tint emerged. Not as prominent as a G.I. weapon, but in certain light it is there.

Anyway, this is my favorite 9mm pistol. This gun came to me with Pachmayr grips with a palm swell that I was never crazy about. The factory grips are also kinda thick. I replaced them with Craig Spegal grips which are tapered. The nicely grained Coco Bolo doesn't hurt either.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of the new Springfield SA35's, which have had the classic deficiencies remedied by the factory. FN also has a new Hi Power on their website, but MSRP in much higher than Springfield's.

Different light and background change the color of the photo.
1646606547604.png

1646606586663.png

More Hi Power stuff:

So, when the FIL passed away, the wife inherited one of his guns. The others were spread out amongst the male grandkids that were of legal age.
He was also a Chicago cop back in the 60's-70's. Back then revolvers were standard issue, and autos were looked at askance by the powers that be. He had to qualify with it in order to use it on duty, and as the back of the card shows, Condition 3 was mandated. I doubt he ever carried it, because the bluing shows no evidence of holster wear.

Now, it's something of a mystery as to how he came by it. He was card carrying Scrooge and I seriously doubt he would spring for the price of a new Hi Power, even back then. Serial number places the DOM at 1969, but his qual card is dated 1977, but the card was only good for a year, so this may have been the last one, with several before it. The card is worn and thin. Looks like he kept it in his wallet for years after leaving the PD.

Anyway, it's a very nice condition T series, which collectors drool over, not because they are superior in any functional aspect, just because the standard of finish was at its peak during that time as these were hand polished. Browning shortly thereafter switch to machine polished finishes which of course were of a lower standard.

I have not touched a thing on it to avoid ruining its collector value. I have several other Hi Powers to shoot.

1652559611072.png

1652559937759.png

1652559965101.png

Both are just delicious examples the amazing HiPower. Makes my heart go pitter patter!!! Two different flavors there, equally cool. I would love to see both in person, esp the hand-polished variant that a picture just can't capture the depth and beauty of the bluing due to the polishing (ie surface prep) underneath. Those WERE the days. Kinda like when Remington went from hand-polishing to machine as c-c-c-c cost-cutting measure....big difference. Thanks for posting those!!! Wow!! Someday....someday.

So, it seems a bud just picked up a new Springfield Armory SA35. He hasn't even shot it yet.
But, he's going to let me hang onto it for long enough to form an opinion and make a comparison to the others I have.
If the hive thinks it's review worthy, I can snap a few pics and peck out a paragraph or two for everyone's edification.

So, I've discovered the secret of the 15 shot magazine. (Legacy mags are 13 shot)
The follower is hollow to accommodate the compressed spring to prevent spring bind and leave room for two more rounds. Spring is the same as the gun on the left.
Anyone with a 3D printer could make new followers.
If any intrepid 3D printer folks are interested, I can take measurements of the follower before I have to return it.
Mec-Gar makes the mag.

With the re-introduction of the Hi-Power, they seem to be popping up a bit. Having just read the article in American Rifleman on the new Fabrique Nationale Herstal Hi-Power, I think I'll pass on getting another one.

My first carry gun was a Browning MkIII target Hi-Power. Carried it daily, used it in IDPA on the weekends.
Wore the bluing off it, repeatedly, before having a gun smith in Florida parkerize it. In the end, the gun was just wore out. (20k-ish rounds through it.) While I'm fond of them, I don't think I would go back.

The new FN Hi Power has been redesigned by FN. From what I have read, there is no parts interchangeability between the new one and legacy Hi Powers. It also has a MSRP of ~$1200.

The Springfield SA35 appears to be identical to my 80's vintage Hi Power with the modern features demanded by today's shooters.
Put about 100 rounds through it yesterday with zero malfunctions. The feedback from those who shot it was positive.

The feedback from those that shot the SA35 yesterday at our annual silencer test day was very positive. Everyone seemed to like it.

I had a nazi proof Hi-Power from 1939 with tangent sights the captains model ,sold it last year for 2K had to pry it from my hand ,had it for over 20 years. I sold it because it had too much history to carry or shoot it more than the two mag's I ran through it to make sure it worked, it was left to me .Used the money to buy a Les Baer custom 1911 45acp ,that I shoot regularly.

Back