Happy birthday to me (tomorrow)! I just ordered this...

I've already got a replacement rear sight for it (Wilson Combat), which is highly recommended by everyone who owns one. Apparently the stock / factory rear sight is shit... wobbles and loses zero.

I also got some nice dummy rounds for testing and dry firing. Arrived today.

1698716262680.png

Holy moly... I'm in love! This thing is gorgeous! Big. Heavy. I've tried to find any flaws... none.

I love the grips, too.

Some quickie photos.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

When I hold it, it evokes a modification of the famous line by Crocodile Dundee....
"That's not a gun. THIS is a gun!"

I should have the Python in my hand by tomorrow evening!

I'm talking about a GUN! ;)
I could have had the original Snake guns if I had been smarter. My brother has picked up the current versions of the Cobra, Python, Anaconda. Hasn't shot any of them yet. They look great. A little pricey, but they look great. Curious to see how you like it as I expect you'll fire it even if you have to spent a few extra bucks on wadcutters or semi-wadcutters...

Curious to see how you like it as I expect you'll fire it even if you have to spent a few extra bucks on wadcutters or semi-wadcutters...
I'll just shoot regular .38-SPL and .357-mag (FMJ & HP) out of it. No wadcutters. I was just curious about them. If they were cheaper, then I'd consider them for target practice. But since they are more expensive, they offer no advantages to me. I'll get the range soon!

I'll just shoot regular .38-SPL and .357-mag (FMJ & HP) out of it. No wadcutters. I was just curious about them. If they were cheaper, then I'd consider them for target practice. But since they are more expensive, they offer no advantages to me. I'll get the range soon!
What is the point of wadcutters? Never seen one up close, nor advertised on any of the usual places I bought ammo.

Welp... I just got off the phone with Colt.

I planned to go to the range for first shots after work today. Of course, this piece of ballistic sex just beckons for fondling and dry fire. I'm using dummy rounds, of course.

Earlier today, as I was dry firing, the trigger didn't reset and the cylinder spins freely in the CLOSED position. WTF is going on? I haven't even fired it yet. FUCK!

When I dry fired it in double action, the trigger would stick back (with my finger not touching it) and then a moment later pop back forward into the reset position. It wouldn't spring forward like it normally does. The delayed reset would happen with the gun literally on the counter and me not touching it.

During this malfunction, the cylinder just spins freely. The "hand" isn't coming up and engaging the cylinder.

Does the same thing with the snap caps out.

OK... Then dry firing it multiple times in double action, it seemed to have fixed itself. But godammit... WTF happened?

I've now dry fired a bunch of times and cannot duplicate the problem. But it definitely happened as described above. Very strange.

The honeymoon was a false start. And it suuuuuuuuuuucks. This was my dream gun.

Another issue I noticed... whoever installed the rear sight pin was hamfisted and bulged the frame in that area.
Untitled-3.jpg

Colt is sending me an RMA# and shipping label.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the new Python, Racer! That really sucks and thought their QC on these was much better than that. At least their CS is trying to make things right, albeit a huge inconvenience! :oops:

P.S., is that some boogering on that rear sight mounting screw? :unsure:

Last edited:
P.S., is that some boogering on that rear sight mounting screw? :unsure:
Yes. I didn't see that until the photo. I didn't really care about that.

But once the weird malfunction happened, I lost all faith.

Another issue I noticed... whoever installed the rear sight pin was hamfisted and bulged the frame in that area.

Colt is sending me an RMA# and shipping label.
For the bigs bucks you spent, I'd be wanting a new, replacement gun...

What is the point of wadcutters? Never seen one up close, nor advertised on any of the usual places I bought ammo.
The semi-wadcutters "cut" a nice clean, round hole in paper targets (like a hole punch). Thinking full wad cutters more or less do the same.

Back